kman

Garand Guy

The CMP, it its effort to get enough Garands out of its armory to meet the high demand for Garand purchases these days is slipping a little on quality. My CMP garand would not lock in an en bloc clip, and the rear sight peep was loose. You can't find a Garand for a better price than at the CMP, but not all the rifles that are sent out are functioning perfectly.

OK well I found out what was wrong.

I tried the same enblocs (AEC3 stamp) with the new follower, and the same old jam.  Just about every 7th round wouldn't feed, it would go crosswise and jam with the bullet against the outside of the chamber and the primer end against the bolt.  I tried another batch of enblocs, and it was the same, along with another jam where the bullet end of the cartridge would be in the chamber, and the primer end would be sticking up at a 45 degree angle and pinched by the bolt, actually enough to bend the cartridge!  Looks like the enbloc didn't grab the round enough and it actually flew over the bolt as the bolt went forward.

However, a THIRD batch of enblocs that I got on Ebay worked 100% reliable.

So it was the enblocs.  I saw something on the internet that there are some fake chinese made AEC3 stamped enblocs, that must be what is it.  I trashed them.  Maybe my garand is just finicky with enblocs, but I know now that I have some that work 100% reliable.  Could be the reparkerizing in the receiver is too thick in the area where the follower moves.  Could be it will get better with time.  All I know is that I need to get more enblocs and try them out beforehand to see if they work.

Where do you recommend getting enblocs from?  I bought like 80 enblocs from Dillon, AEC3 marked, and they were the ones that gave me problems, I am throwing them all out.  I bought two lots from Ebay, both of which were purportedly "USGI", one lot worked fine, the other lot jammed.  Any suggestion as to where to get more from, what stamp to look for, etc?

I had the same type of failures on my CMP special, my problem was out of spec enbloc clips. They were to tight and not releasing the rounds properly. This is usually the problem especially if the if occurs on round 7 or 8 which is usually when spring pressure is the weakest. Check the CMP forums if you can't find the garand guy. They may b able to help.

http://forums.thecmp.org/

Bad enblocs. Never would have guessed

Bad enblocs. Never would have guessed

Yes you were right.  And since it was the clips, I have to take back at least a little bit of the criticism I made of the Garand Guy.  I mean, he could really have exhibited better customer relations, in terms of actually inspecting the action parts, and his diagnosis of weak ammo was completely wrong, but in the end the rifle he sold was good, it was the clips that were bad.

What gets me is that the enblocs I had were purchased from Dillon, which is supposedly a place that doesn't sell garbage, and they were marketed as being built by the same company that made them for the US Military, on the same machines.  So I figured I was buying the 100% best clips I could buy.  Nope.  They were heavily parkerized, and extremely tight compared to the milsurp ones that I used that worked good.  Either chinese knockoffs, or this purported company "Aggressive Engineering Corp" (AEC3) isn't making them properly.