Sludog

Is transporting loaded magazines to the range illegal?

Be wary Vlad.

You still risk being jammed up, maybe even jacked up!

I actually detail strip my firearms prior to transport, lock each part in a separate container, seal each container in wax and lock everything in a safe which is bolted into my trunk.  I bring a Hornady Lock-N-Load progressive press and components also so I can hand load my ammunition on site--loch cked in a separate safe of course.  Then I load the entire car into a locked trailer, which I weld shut and pull to the range.

Never been jammed up yet :sarcastic:

At the very least you must save a bundle in ammo..........

Be wary Vlad.

You still risk being jammed up, maybe even jacked up!

I actually detail strip my firearms prior to transport, lock each part in a separate container, seal each container in wax and lock everything in a safe which is bolted into my trunk.  I bring a Hornady Lock-N-Load progressive press and components also so I can hand load my ammunition on site--loch cked in a separate safe of course.  Then I load the entire car into a locked trailer, which I weld shut and pull to the range.

Never been jammed up yet :sarcastic:

LOL

I saw a guy at the range unload his bag and he pulled out loaded magazines. I saw him walk in so he either loaded them in the parking lot or at home and drove to the range with loaded mags. Is this legal?

Watch this....Evan advises against it

He also advises that you never exceed the posted speed limit, never do a rolling stop, never carry a knife, etc. that's what good lawyers do to keep people from getting "jammed up". The difference is the things I mentioned are notably illegal.

He also advises that you never exceed the posted speed limit, never do a rolling stop, never carry a knife, etc. that's what good lawyers do to keep people from getting "jammed up". The difference is the things I mentioned are notably illegal.

Yes because if you have hollow point bullets you can be charged for having them, once you brake one of those laws you have committed a crime while in possession of hollow point bullets..  :maninlove:

That's fine and dandy. I'm all for folks doing whatever they are comfortable with. But  if anybody asks, please let them know that the *law* does not require any of that.

I look at it this way.

Unless you're one of the chosen few or a cop, you're not getting to carry. So a firearm in an unlocked case in your trunk is close to useless.

So why not put a cheap lock?

Watch this....Evan advises against it

HA! So I was right after all... I knew Evan said it, it just wasn't in his book.

Understand this. There is the law, and there's common sense.

Taking reasonable steps to not draw attention to yourself is not a bad thing. Transporting your mag unloaded is what I would consider a reasonable step.

Yes, it's not required by law but so what? It takes me less than a minute to load a mag with 15 rounds. Not an inconvenience in the least, at least compared to being hassled or locked up and made into a test case.

HA! So I was right after all... I knew Evan said it, it just wasn't in his book.

Understand this. There is the law, and there's common sense.

Taking reasonable steps to not draw attention to yourself is not a bad thing. Transporting your mag unloaded is what I would consider a reasonable step.

Yes, it's not required by law but so what? It takes me less than a minute to load a mag with 15 rounds. Not an inconvenience in the least, at least compared to being hassled or locked up and made into a test case.

Drawing attention to yourself?

Ok forget for a second that it is totally legal... Lets pretend its illegal... In what instance of your life do you get to the point where a cop is even inspecting your loaded magazines? I don't recall too many experiences in my life where the contents of my vehicle were run through by the police...

Common sense?

If you get pulled over for speeding... When the cops walk up.. Don't scream "yo I got guns!!!!"

I really don't understand living in fear of nonexistent laws...

Do you apply this over caution to everything in your life?

Ok forget for a second that it is totally legal... Lets pretend its illegal... In what instance of your life do you get to the point where a cop is even inspecting your loaded magazines? I don't recall too many experiences in my life where the contents of my vehicle were run through by the police...

Common sense?

If you get pulled over for speeding... When the cops walk up.. Don't scream "yo I got guns!!!!"

Keep everything hidden and out of view, make sure the car is "clean".  I have no stickers, etc. on my car that would tell the cops "HEY! I have guns! I have ammo! Please stop me!"

When I've been stopped and asked if I had any weapons inside the car I always answer NO and if they should ask me to step out I lock the doors, if nothing is visible from outside they will never stand a chance at getting a warrant signed by a Judge.

Common sense?

Whoa there Vlad. Don't be ridiculous.

I only brought it up because you and others jumped on me for me saying that it may be a good idea to not transport loaded mags.

This is different from the actual letter of the law.  The letter of the law is not in dispute. Let's get that straight out in the open.

But I did say that it was Nappen's advice. 

Nappen is an attorney, a well respected one at that. More importantly he has represented people in actual cases. 

Now if you can give me a valid reason why your advice is more sound, by all means, I'll take your advice. But since Nappen is who he is, and given that if many here are arrested, he's the first one on speed dial to call, I think his advice is more sound. 

As for applying caution in my life? Absolutely. I have a family and lots to lose if I end up even arrested. I don't have any pro gun anything on my vehicles and avoiding the attention of law enforcement, as well as covering all my bases gives me peace of mind.

Maybe if like you I lived in a state where gun ownership is a normal way of life, I'd go about things differently. 

No one wants to be the next Brian Aitken or George Revell, who thought they were well within the law but were slinged up by the NJ judicial system.

Bottom line - I'd rather not take my chances. 

Vlad, I take it that you haven't seen what NJ legislators want for us? I'm glad you live in PA where you can exercise your rights freely, but those of us who still live in NJ have to deal with the system, including (and especially) vague laws full of traps that can get you put away for a long time for what for many is not a big deal. It is what it is.