Sign in to follow this  
mbeattie

NICS checks in PA

As an NJ resident I can go to PA and purchase long guns.  How does the NICS check work?  Do they call into the PA one and check it through there?  Is the PA one instant?  Or do they have to use the NJ NICS stuff and wait however many days it takes?

Use the search portion of this forum if you have questions. 99 percent of the time the question has been posted and answered. But, Yes you can buy shotguns/longrifles from PA and yes it is instant.

As an NJ resident I can go to PA and purchase long guns.  How does the NICS check work?  Do they call into the PA one and check it through there?  Is the PA one instant?  Or do they have to use the NJ NICS stuff and wait however many days it takes?

http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal/server.pt?open=512&objID=4451&&PageID=461119&mode=2

Yes, PA check is instant.

I was at cabelas last night and picked up a savage model 11 , I asked the same question he said they call nisc in Harrisburg and then send a nj coe forum to are state police , it took 10 minutes to get a reply pa rocks

Huh? Two copies of the COE - one is retained by the seller and the other by the buyer. Many PA dealers don't bother with this as they are outside the purview of the NJSP. Some do it as federal law requires that the laws of both states (buyer's & seller's) be adhered to, and just attach it to the 4473. The NJSP get nothing when it comes to a long gun sale. If the dealer does not fill out a COE, you may want to fill one out for yourself, just to CYA.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Yeah pa different world. Its that river that seperates us but went to meet a guy with an ar at classic pistol he had a match target for sale. Had classic do the nics. They said its taking a little longer than usual so i went and shot about 30 mins of rounds at their range, the employee came in and got me. Said all good to go so for the next 30 mins shot 223 and walked out a new legal owner of another match target. How do you like those apples. So in nj 16 days later after being put on research i finally get approved. I must be special.

I was at cabelas last night and picked up a savage model 11 , I asked the same question he said they call nisc in Harrisburg and then send a nj coe forum to are state police , it took 10 minutes to get a reply pa rocks

If thats true, I will never buy a firearm from cabela's again. I refuse to voluntary register my firearms. It's none of the state fucking business.

Glad to see so many people bailing on NJ shops. I get going to PA if its something you absolutely can't get here. Making NJ ffl's pay for something they have no control over is ridiculous. Do you need something that quick. Especially since it been a lot better than it was.

Glad to see so many people bailing on NJ shops. I get going to PA if its something you absolutely can't get here. Making NJ ffl's pay for something they have no control over is ridiculous. Do you need something that quick. Especially since it been a lot better than it was.

I agree with this however it can also be a slap to the face of the NICS unit (which I agree with). Basically saying "Hey, you just lost your fee and the state lost my sales tax so ha".  I do feel bad for the LGS though, I'm sure they lost a lot of business from the delays. I haven't bought any guns since December from a LGS because this whole situation (Delays, Price, Availability) I have bought a crap ton of ammo though. So... now I'm just rambling.  So to sum it up, I agree it sucks to punish the LGS but I can't blame anyone who is doing the PA/DE thing on principle