Shooter116

Best Semi-Auto .22?

I am interesting in purchasing a semi-auto .22 rifle. The HK MP5s look great and I have heard mixed reviews about the GSG .22 rifles modeled after MP5s, ARs, AKs, etc. Any advice which is the best semi-auto .22 for some fun, fast plinking? 

S&W MP15-22 is a great gun. they are not cheap, but they are very nice and solid/faithful AR pattern. The base model is a great plinker. I have shot the Ruger SR-22 and like it, but it uses the Ruger 10/22 style magazines so a bit off the pattern. 

fun, fast plinking can be done just as well with a 10/22 for half the price though. you can always trick it out later!

I have the M&P 15-22, I actually cannot recall if I have ever had a malfunction.  I really don't think it has. 

Maybe one or two failure to fire's, but that was ammo related- usually resolved by turning the round 90 degrees and giving it another go. 

I love it.  Only thing I don't like about it is the 10 round magazines don't have a thumb button to retract the follower down.  The standard 30 round magazines do, but in order to install the thumb button from the 30 rounders on the 10, you have to remove the follower- impossible to do with the mags being pinned internally.  I use an allen key I have for my buckmark to hold the follower down as I load it. 

I have owned the 10/22, GSG and M&P 15-22. The 15-22 is the only one I still have because it is the easiest to break down and clean. The 15-22 is the simplest gun I have ever owned to maintain. It's also accurate, reliable and fun. Add in its milspec so you can use any aftermarket AR parts what's not to like?

The GSG cannot be fully disassembled just read the owners manual they tell you not to.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

The GSG cannot be fully disassembled just read the owners manual they tell you not to.

It can be, just loctite all the screws. Im certainly no gunsmith, and even i have fully disassembled the gsg to individual components with no problems. Ive had to do it a few times trying to fix light strikes. GSG522 is a fun gun, but it is a pain to take down until you get real mp5 push pins. They are known for developing light strikes, though ATI/GSG service is helpful.

However, without owning either, my votes are for the 10/22 or m&p15-22. The gsg can be annoying some days. 10/22 is the standard for semi auto .22s and I will own one sometime soon. You will have so many options for the 10/22 or 15-22 that you can make that gun 100% YOURS.

If you have an AR, get a drop in converson and call it a day.  I have put 1000s of rounds through mine and can count on one hand the malfunctions...

Just make sure to shoot 223/556 out of it when you are done to blow out the dirty stuff...

Love my GSG-5 and probably will never sell it, but I'll never claim it is out-of-the-box reliable or easy to maintain.  There are fasteners in the bolt and barrel clamp that need to be upgraded and loc-tited for long term use and the learning curve for splitting the cases the first time you need to do a detail/internal cleaning is pretty steep. 

Once you get it sorted and know what to keep an eye on it's a fun gun, but it's definitely an enthusiast's/tinkerer's gun.

I really like the Ruger 10/22T model, with a couple of Volquartsen drop-in mods added after the fact (at a minimum, the automatic bolt release).   More money than the base model, but better accuracy, and it looks oh-so-cool.

http://www.ruger.com/products/1022Target/models.html

How about a plain jane Marlin 795 or Marlin 60? Possibly the best bangs for the buck. Each can be had for about $180 at todays panic pricing.

Best after market goes to Ruger 10-22. You can make that look like anything.

But a gun is like a child, the best will be the one you call your own and kiss goodnight each night.

so i finally got to take my two new 22's to the range yesterday..  M&P 22 pistol and the M&P 15-22 rifle.  The M&P 22 pistol worked flawlessly from round 1.  sights took a little bit to get used to (different than my CZ), but guns' accuracy is still better than my own accuracy regardless.  put 100 rounds through it (50 mini mags, 50 fiocchi solid point).  didnt fail a single round.  has a nice feel to it, its fairly light (less top heavy than its big brothers, considering the slide isnt steel).  i was suitably impressed with it..

also tested out the 15-22..  load first magazine, pull the charging handle and take off safety..  pull the trigger..  "click"..  wtf...  pull the handle again, unfired round flies out, another one slides up in its place..  aim, pull the trigger..  "boom" (actually, more like "pew" since its a 22)..  ok, cool..  first round must have been a dud..  pull trigger again..  "click"..  pull out the mag, put another one in.. charge the handle..  "click".. 

so, this was clearly not working..  another forum member was with me at the range, and asked "did you break this down before you brought it?"  yes, i did..  i took it down to get familiar with it, including the bolt assembly..  took it apart and cleaned/oiled it (not too much oil)..  had trouble getting the slide rails back into the bolt and at first attempt, apparently was trying to put it in backwards..  was wondering why it was going in so difficult.  ok, so finally figured out that i had it backwards..  when i put it the right way, everything was nice & easy to put back together..  so we pull the bolt assembly and charging handle out at the range and he looks at it..  says "ok, the rails seem bent a bit"..  i didnt notice it (considering im still a noob, that's not surprising).. he put a little pressure on the bolt assembly, and apparently slightly bent it back into a straight line..  put it back together..  load the mag.. pull the charging handle..  "pew"..  second round..  "pew"..  every round after that up to 100 rounds.. "pew"..  also ran 50 rounds of Mini Mags and 50 rounds of Fiocchi solid point..  not a single failure after that..

accuracy was pretty good, but i was shooting it up close since it was an indoor range and i was using the iron sights.. very light and very easy to handle..

all in all, i was impressed with both the pistol and the rifle.  once i put a scope on the 15-22, i will be more than pleased.  (eyesight is not what it used to be apparently)

Have you considered the Anshutz RSX22?  It's expensive (~$800) but the barrell and trigger mechanism come from a world-renowned gun maker know for their accuracy.

I've been looking into myself and the S&W 15-22.

With that in mind, the factory/distributor will fix the collapsible stock (if you can't find a model with one) and it comes with a 10rd mag.  I'm still investigating if there is anything else that would not make it compliant for NJ that I missed.

Barrel is 16" and it's not threaded...so OK there.