average joe

New FID card question

My 23 year old son went to the East Brunswick police dept to apply for his FID card.   He was given a paper to make an appointment with a place in South Plainfield to get the fingerprinting done.  They want payment first, before any appointment is given .   Is the norm these days ?   This place wants like   $54 for the fingerprinting....What do you guys in other towns have to do to get your FID cards.  I got mine over 40 years ago, so I am kinda out of the loop on this.    Does this sound right ?

Around $60 is correct. Yup you have to make an appointment, the fingerprinting place should be sending a copy to your PD after the appointment, but just make sure that your PD received it. Then after that is the long wait.....

Don't forget to get 3 Pistol permit or your son is going to regret not getting it.... :)

(Unless he isn't into pistols)

My 23 year old son went to the East Brunswick police dept to apply for his FID card.   He was given a paper to make an appointment with a place in South Plainfield to get the fingerprinting done.  They want payment first, before any appointment is given .   Is the norm these days ?   This place wants like   $54 for the fingerprinting....What do you guys in other towns have to do to get your FID cards.  I got mine over 40 years ago, so I am kinda out of the loop on this.    Does this sound right

Yes it is right.  call the number for fingerprints and be on time. they fax your prints the same day.  i would call eb 2days later to make sure they got it

That's the deal these days. $60 for fingerprinting. Last I heard earlier this year from my P.D. is that they want them done every 5 years if applying for Handgun Permit(s) (Like they're going to change) $$$$$$$$ Filling someone's pockets and emptying ours.

By paying in advance you gaurentee your appointment.  I had to do that when I moved and it went quick.  It is digital finger printing and it really speeds up the whole drawn out long ass process.  Once your printed the results are almost immediate.  The price sounds like about what I paid a few years ago.

Ken

It's been a while for me, but I don't remember having to pay that much to get my prints taken. Also, my prints were taken right there at the PD.

A lot of the PD's are not doing the fingerprinting anymore. That is why it is a $$$$ to go to separate place and pay $54 for them. Now imagine have to pay that $54 every two years like the politicians want? all about money.

Just like they raised my motorcycle registations to $65 for something use maybe 8 months out of the year.

Same here...$60 or so for the place in Ewing.

The weird thing is that they took my index finger print at the station to go on the actual license.  I was thinking just take my 60 bucks and do the other 9 fingers right now and save me the drive to Ewing.

Ok, guys thanks for the input.   My son had it done today, all went smoothly.   I was just leary about the up front charge, but I guess a lot of people don't show up for their appointment.   He said there were a lot of other people getting their prints taken for jobs and for security reasons.   Thanks for all the great responses....