CageFighter

Kimber Master Carry Pro...

That is a sweet looking pistol, as are all of Kimbers! I own a Gold match II and it is a gem to shoot, very nice trigger and is more accurate than me! If you can find one! When I ordered mine, (before the SHTF), I waited a little over 5 months. I ordered it right after I applied for my permits and got it 2 weeks before the permits expired.

If you are willing to step up a little in price, take a look at the Dan Wesson lineup. No MIM parts, all quality parts used (ed Brown grip safety, etc). I have a Valor and couldn't be happier with it. Check out the 1911 forums. I will say that Kimbers are generally not highly regarded there, and it is not about 1911 snobbery IMO. On the other hand, I know a number of people that have them and like 'em.

Kimbers are highly regarded on the 1911 forum.As a matter of fact they are the largest sub forum on there.\ But there is a sub culture that dislikes them. Sort of like when a guy spends a ton of money on a BMW and you get the same thing from a car half the price. Not knocking the DW its a very nice production gun but $$$ .If your going to spend that much get a real custom

Love my Kimber pro Raptor. Over one K problem free rounds of all types of ammo.

The MIM thing is a matter of taste not performance.

Kimbers are highly regarded on the 1911 forum.As a matter of fact they are the largest sub forum on there.\ But there is a sub culture that dislikes them. Sort of like when a guy spends a ton of money on a BMW and you get the same thing from a car half the price. Not knocking the DW its a very nice production gun but $$$ .If your going to spend that much get a real custom

Well, you can see there is not a lot of middle ground on Kimbers. And the people who like them are especially touchy about criticism, whether it is fair or just bashing. I do think there is a lot of unnecessary bashing, hence the thin skin. My own take on the 1911 forums (there are two main ones, three if you count 1911Addicts) is that Kimber lovers are the "sub genre" and the majority of users run the spectrum from ambivalent about Kimbers to full-on haters. I give Kimber credit for being the company that got the ball rolling with the features that used to only be seen on full customs, and making them industry standards. Their first generation Kimber pistols ARE considered to be good guns.

I mention Dan Wesson because they occupy a price tier above most production guns but below the semi-customs. There are a fair number of comparisons out there between DW's and guns from some of the semi-custom shops, and the newer high end DW's seem to be able to run with the big boys.

http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=321236

http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=286070&highlight=test

In the interest of disclosure, the gunsmith who did these comparisons does custom work on Dan Wessons, as well as other brands. To me though, I felt like he gave all the guns a fair shake.

As for MIM parts, they just represent another step by companies to reduce the cost of the manufacturing process by using lower quality parts. Good MIM parts will be functional. Bad ones gave MIM a bad name. If tool steel parts are considered "overkill" in a 1911, I am all for something that is overbuilt.

Here is an interesting thread about MIM usage in different 1911 manufacturers.

http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/general-firearm-discussion/125106-what-wilson-combat-thinks-mim-parts-1911s.html

I will be the first to warn you about Kimbers. When they work, they usually have no issues.

I've had two and both had several trips back to Kimber. One being the custom carry, which was supposed to be as custom as Kimber gets etc....

Personally, I'll never own another Kimber handgun. I would buy a sig or a s&w 1911 first. Otherwise I'd be spending my cashito on the DW's, Ed browns or Wilson combat guns.

I know people who have not had any issue with Kimbers and that's great. From my own experiences, I've decided I'll pass.

Kimbers are highly regarded on the 1911 forum.As a matter of fact they are the largest sub forum on there.\ But there is a sub culture that dislikes them. Sort of like when a guy spends a ton of money on a BMW and you get the same thing from a car half the price. Not knocking the DW its a very nice production gun but $$$ .If your going to spend that much get a real custom

A "real custom" is at least twice the price of a DW.

Taste has to do with aesthetics and function. MIM parts are produced simply as a cost cutting measure by the manufacturer. Depending on the component, MIM parts can affect performance.

If you consider it a matter of taste, you would prefer MIM over tool steel?

In my opinion, there is no comparing a Sig P220 to a Kimber. Kimber are as custom as a production pistol can get. And I use the word production lightly. You can't go wrong with any model, and their customer service is great.

You are right - there is no comparison, the P220 wins, hands down. Ask some real operators, who are going in harms way, whether they would rather carry a P220 or a Kimber 1911.

As others have said - if you own a Kimber and have had no problems - good on you. But just because a gun is "pretty" doesn't mean I am going to overlook functionality.

JMHO

Adios,

Pizza Bob

You are right - there is no comparison, the P220 wins, hands down. Ask some real operators, who are going in harms way, whether they would rather carry a P220 or a Kimber 1911.

As others have said - if you own a Kimber and have had no problems - good on you. But just because a gun is "pretty" doesn't mean I am going to overlook functionality.

JMHO

Adios,

Pizza Bob

I agree. Also, I didn't even think about the sig 220SA. You can get a single action Sig 220. I have no has any experience with the gun. The da/sa sig 220 is good to go though.

Agreed. You pay a small premium for them, but they are great guns.

+1 that. From what I hear they run flawlessly. I would pay a few extra bucks for that if I was shopping for a 1911. 

I also heard a rumor that Colt was getting back into the revolver business. Making .22 cal, .38 cal .357 cal etc. etc. 

Any truth to this?

I wonder if the quality will still be there if they do. Lots of companies cutting corners to get their guns on the shelves as fast as possible to meet demands. 

+1 that. From what I hear they run flawlessly. I would pay a few extra bucks for that if I was shopping for a 1911.

I also heard a rumor that Colt was getting back into the revolver business. Making .22 cal, .38 cal .357 cal etc. etc.

Any truth to this?

I wonder if the quality will still be there if they do. Lots of companies cutting corners to get their guns on the shelves as fast as possible to meet demands.

I have heard that rumor for several years now too. My guess is that if they did they start making Pythons, etc again, it would be through their custom shop. This is what they did with the Series 70 reproductions and the black army model 1911s. It let them keep their production numbers low and quality control hi.