KevD

Has anyone tried a multiple handgun exemption post sandy hook?

I had asked about one at the local PD last year. I was told if I wanted one to use 3 permits at once, they'd get it back to me in 90 days. In other words, they'd make sure it didn't speed up the process for me.

I hand delivered an FPID address change application, application for 9 permits and completed exemption application to my local PD on December 31, 2012 and picked them up during the first full week of February. I can look and see when my exemption was approved by NJSP (IIRC, it was a week or two before the dates on my pistol permits), but that won't tell me when they received it from my local PD.

A buddy of mine did. His retired police officer dad got some kind of domestic issue. He was able to take the guns with permit. He filed and got denied. The state wants him to do 1 pistol every 30 days. The prosecutors office wants to release em all at once. It's been months now and his p2p permits are expired. He ended up buying. We guns from a lgs

Is an exemption denial considered "being denied for a gun license or permit" (as per the question on almost all forms dealing with firearms across the states)

Exemption denial is just that.

Beyond that... I have never heard of an exemption request being denied. Someone is on their shit list.

When you apply for exemption, the permits associated are tied up waiting for a response.  If your P2P comes before the exemption response, they should hold your permits so they can type in the make / model / serial on there for the exempt ones.  Any other permits would be able to be picked up immediately. 

If you already have your permits and apply for exemption, you would need (at some point, confer with LPD) to surrender those permits maybe, so they could type in the info at LPD.  All of this is not necessary.  If your exemption is denied, the permits and everything else is still valid. 

The exemption paperwork is totally separate, like guns and ammo transport  ;)

My question was whether a denial on solely the exemption would constitute being denied for a gun permit or license.  This is a question that frequently occurs on permits and licenses in various states and often complicates those processes.  I've probably had to answer that question 10 times out of state.  I suppose the question boils down to, does the exemption constitute a permit or license in and of itself?  I'm guessing not but I'd like to see an official denial letter to see how they word it.

When you apply for exemption, the permits associated are tied up waiting for a response.  If your P2P comes before the exemption response, they should hold your permits so they can type in the make / model / serial on there for the exempt ones.  Any other permits would be able to be picked up immediately. 

If you already have your permits and apply for exemption, you would need (at some point, confer with LPD) to surrender those permits maybe, so they could type in the info at LPD.  All of this is not necessary.  If your exemption is denied, the permits and everything else is still valid. 

The exemption paperwork is totally separate, like guns and ammo transport  ;)

That was my understand as well... until I once again looked at my exemption paperwork.... nowhere on the form 15 or 16 did it list permit numbers.  IIRC, when it came out, you take it with permits to local pd, to send to SP....

however now it seems you can just mail in exemption paperwork to State Police.... weird.

When I applied with my permits, the exemption paperwork was approved before my permits were.

i was told by my LGS that you apply for both at the same time and one has nothing to do with the other but you need the permits to take possession of the firearms... so when you have the exemption approval and the permits in hand then you take them to your LGS and pick up your handguns. i have 10 handguns bought and i am waiting for both my exemption and permits.

i was told by my LGS that you apply for both at the same time and one has nothing to do with the other but you need the permits to take possession of the firearms... so when you have the exemption approval and the permits in hand then you take them to your LGS and pick up your handguns. i have 10 handguns bought and i am waiting for both my exemption and permits.

correct.

I believe initially, if i find my first exemption, you needed, or the local PD needed to specify the permit numbers on the exemptions.  I do not see it right now. 

Yes, my exemption was approved before permits. But as I read the details of 15/16, these forms have *nothing* to do with the permits, as stated many times above.

The 15/16 is not needed by local PD. There is nothing on the permits that proves the exemption. When you do a purchase for 2 or 100 handguns in one day, the NJSP will look up your exemption status. LPD does not need to hold up the permits, sign the permits, sign the 15/16 (there is NOTHING on there for them). The 15/16 is approved by the state of NJ via NJSP, and no other parties.

LPD is not very familiar with 15/16, but they better *get* familiar because many handgun owners are going to use these forms more regularly if 27 days NICS checks continue, along with 30 days of OGAM.

So i dont need pistol permits with an exemption? The exemption is the pistol permits?

no you still need pistol permits.

you will also need the serial numbers and models of each firearm you bought before you file the exemption.

That info cannot change. when we call in your nics they will ask for the serials also and they must match what you submitted with your exemption

Just transferred 3 pistols with an exemption 2 days ago