mattio41

NJ2AS FIX THE NICS CAMPAIGN

I have changed that thing 3 times today.... Eliminated all previous drafts on computer..... I need a drink....

I know what you mean. Seriously though - feel free to pm me with future stuff, it's not a problem.

You are definitely on for this..... And by all means, if you have thoughts for future endeavors, send me ideas. Always in need of fresh thoughts...

I spoke with one of sweenys reps today. I called a week or so ago with a few questions one of them was about the cool down period. Did it start at the date you call in the nice or the day it's approved. Here is what I was told

Right now there is a delay with the background checks. With the new id it really will be instant. So you will be instantly approved. Then starts the wait. So in fact you will actually get the gun faster then you are now.

How I interpreted it. We are intentionally slowing down background checks so we can slip in a 7 day wait and make it seem like we are doing you a favor.

I thought the 7 day wait was from the time you apply for your P2P. Thus meaningless, because no one gets their P2P back in 7 days.

Is it before every purchase??? :roulette:

I thought the 7 day wait was from the time you apply for your P2P. Thus meaningless, because no one gets their P2P back in 7 days.

Is it before every purchase??? :roulette:

Your interpretation is correct.

What is the cause of the delays, then?

Deliberately slow down the NICS check to discourage people from buying Firearms, that's how I see it.

And I heard the company that handles the NICS checks isn't even in NJ! it's a private company that handles NJ NICS when you purchase a firearm.

This is why I would rather pay more and do a FTF for something versus waiting for weeks while my fax sits in some bin waiting for someone to run the check and fax back the approval.

BTW, Legend Firearms in N. Jersey will let you fill out a form online and they will fax in the NICS so no need to drive up to the shop and fill out the form/drive back after NICS is approved to pickup...You wait for them to get the NICS approval faxed back and make one trip to pickup your gun (this is how I understand it, corrct me if I'm wrong)...

If anyone is buying a long gun I suggest buying it out of state! I went to the Delaware Dicks Sporting Goods and purchased a shotgun. I think it took less than three minutes and I was able to buy it the same day. Why is NJ taking so long to complete the paperwork. I am waiting on a pistol permit and they told me 4-6 or 8 weeks! It used to take two weeks about 2 years ago!

Just sent them off. Had to use the free fax for CC... My machine and his don't like each other. Keep getting comms errors. Other 2 were fine. Thanks for the updated sheet.

And I heard the company that handles the NICS checks isn't even in NJ! it's a private company that handles NJ NICS when you purchase a firearm.

:facepalm:

I heard that possession of hollow points is illegal.  I heard that driving around with loaded mags is illegal.  I heard that having more than 15 rounds in a lever action gun is illegal.

Please, when you hear something, anything, do some research before you post it on the internet!

The NJ Nics process has been discussed several times and has been clarified by many of our FFL's. 

The process is as follows:

1. The FFL fills out a NICS fax form
  2. FFL faxes the form to Champion Communications in Florida
  3. Champion Communications collates the daily faxes and processes them (process unknown)
  4. Champion Communications sends the processed faxes to NJ NICS
  5. NJ NICS (a divison of the State Police), AND ONLY NJ NICS, conducts the ACTUAL background check
  6. NJ NICS contacts the FFL with an approval, a denial, or a delayed response

1. The purchaser fills out the Federal Form 4473 and signs it.
  2. The FFL fills out a NICS fax form.
  3. FFL faxes the form to Champion Communications in Florida.
  4. Champion Communications has software that redirects the faxes to the NJ NICS.
  5. NJ NICS (a divison of the State Police), AND ONLY NJ NICS, conducts the ACTUAL background check.
  6. NJ NICS contacts the FFL with an approval, a denial, or a delayed response.

• The purchaser fills out the Federal Form 4473 and signs it.
  • The FFL fills out a NICS fax form.
  • FFL faxes the form to Champion Communications in Florida.
  • Champion Communications has software that redirects the faxes to the NJ NICS.
  • NJ NICS (a divison of the State Police), AND ONLY NJ NICS, conducts the ACTUAL background check.
  • NJ NICS contacts the FFL with an approval, a denial, or a delayed response.

Whats the point of sending it to Champion? Why dont they just send it to NJ Nics

[quote

Whats the point of sending it to Champion? Why dont they just send it to NJ Nics

Because only the superintendent, AG, & Christie have the authority to direct financial resources to fix the problem!!

:facepalm:

I heard that possession of hollow points is illegal.  I heard that driving around with loaded mags is illegal.  I heard that having more than 15 rounds in a lever action gun is illegal.

Please, when you hear something, anything, do some research before you post it on the internet!

The NJ Nics process has been discussed several times and has been clarified by many of our FFL's. 

1. The FFL fills out a NICS fax form
  2. FFL faxes the form to Champion Communications in Florida
  3. Champion Communications collates the daily faxes and processes them (process unknown)
  4. Champion Communications sends the processed faxes to NJ NICS
  5. NJ NICS (a divison of the State Police), AND ONLY NJ NICS, conducts the ACTUAL background check
  6. NJ NICS contacts the FFL with an approval, a denial, or a delayed response

I tried researching it but couldn't find the actual company so thanks for filling me in.

So they wasted our tax dollars by enlisting Champion Communications to receive the faxes and forward them so NJSP  can conduct the actual NICS checks?

I wonder why NJSP decided to enlist such a company versus doing the work themselves?

Is NJSP just cheap and lazy or are they deliberately trying to slow down the NICS checks in hopes people will not purchase firearms? Since the State cannot trust any of us with firearms?

and with identity theft running wild ....seems like a great idea to fax all your personal info to some unknown company in fl for whoever they choose to employ to see/handle/sell......sending to a state police fax pool would be bad enough...not a fan at all...thats no conspiracy theory just common sense...lol 

and with identity theft running wild ....seems like a great idea to fax all your personal info to some unknown company in fl for whoever they choose to employ to see/handle/sell......sending to a state police fax pool would be bad enough...not a fan at all...thats no conspiracy theory just common sense...lol 

And that is what has me worried! Why should a private company have my SSN, NJ DL, Name, Address, DOB, etc. without the FFL being required to disclose this to the customer?

What if the people who are employed at this company decide to sell our info on the darknet? SSN, Name, Address, DOB = Open bank accounts, take out loans, obtain credit lines, etc.

If I wanted to, what's stopping me (besides Federal law) from having a few modems and a few phone lines 24/7 autodial the fax number to prevent NICS requests from reaching them? one of the FFL's I use had given me the number and said it takes them a good dozen or so tries before the fax goes thru! I have NOT called the number, btw.

The State of New Joisey is so ass backwards!!!

I tried researching it but couldn't find the actual company so thanks for filling me in.

So they wasted our tax dollars by enlisting Champion Communications to receive the faxes and forward them so NJSP  can conduct the actual NICS checks?

I wonder why NJSP decided to enlist such a company versus doing the work themselves?

Is NJSP just cheap and lazy or are they deliberately trying to slow down the NICS checks in hopes people will not purchase firearms? Since the State cannot trust any of us with firearms?

Champion is in the middle as the payment processor. 

Champion is in the middle as the payment processor. 

But why must the FFL fax them our info if they are simply collecting payment as a payment processor for the State and not performing the actual NICS? Why not have the FFL fax the NICS request directly to the State and have the State (or Champion) collect payment for the NICS?

It would make sense to keep such personal information between the State and the FFL, and not allowing a private company to have access to our personal information without are consent?

Never mind, this is PRNJ and nothing will EVER make sense in this State when it comes to guns and gun owners... :rtfm:

As far as I know, Champion provides the communication service for the NJSP ONLY.  MCI used to do it for 15+ years.  I do not think that they get any info.  It is a forwarding system directly to the NICS Unit.  It is something that neither you or I have control or say over. 

:deadhorse:

But why must the FFL fax them our info if they are simply collecting payment as a payment processor for the State and not performing the actual NICS? Why not have the FFL fax the NICS request directly to the State and have the State (or Champion) collect payment for the NICS?

It would make sense to keep such personal information between the State and the FFL, and not allowing a private company to have access to our personal information without are consent?

Never mind, this is PRNJ and nothing will EVER make sense in this State when it comes to guns and gun owners... :rtfm:

Champion is the "Tom" from  "Office Space". The more "Tom"s we have in the system, the better it is for the state.

The typical reason contracting companies are hired for outrageous costs are to take the blame and when shit hits the fan.

Otherwise, everyone would be blaming poor NJ State for taking 15+ days for an "Instant" check.

Hire a contracting company elsewhere, create a new fax system, blame on the "sytem", blame on "the demand", blame it on the people

of NJ who buys firearms .. blame it on everyone else except where the problem is. You get the idea.

Champion is the "Tom" from  "Office Space". The more "Tom"s we have in the system, the better it is for the state.

The typical reason contracting companies are hired for outrageous costs are to take the blame and when shit hits the fan.

Otherwise, everyone would be blaming poor NJ State for taking 15+ days for an "Instant" check.

Hire a contracting company elsewhere, create a new fax system, blame on the "sytem", blame on "the demand", blame it on the people

of NJ who buys firearms .. blame it on everyone else except where the problem is. You get the idea.

Good point, blame the problem on a private contractor (Champion) versus having the people blame the State for the NICS delay...