hotel71

Black bear sighted in Burlington Township!!

I posted this once before. This was taken in the Port Elizabeth area (Cumberland County). The one in the middle is obvious, a second to the left and maybe one or two more (cubs?) to the right. Pic was taken from a game camera. The husband of one of my wife's co-workers had placed the camera where he hunts.

f57b790d-8888-4bba-92fa-da14ad553ce5_zps

That was mountain lions. They are here too though

When I was a kid growing up in Sussex county (late 70's early 80's) we used to hunt and fish in Waywayanda state park and we got to know a few of the rangers very well and they swore there were mountain lions around in the park and in the surrounding upstate NY woods. 

I believe that my wife saw a Mountain Lion or Bobcat several weeks back.

My property backs up to the Pequannock watershed, not to mention Waywayanda is a few miles away.   We see bears frequently, as well as fox, turkey and very rarely coyote.  She saw something up in the rocks behind the house that was big, was not a bear, and didn't move like a canine(coyote).  She said it moved cat-like.   It's hard to say without a picture, but considering she'd never seen one before I'm thinking it may be a mountain lion or possibly a bobcat.   It was a "lighter" color.

edited to add:  She at first thought it was a deer, it was facing away and since the color was even, but knew it wasn't a deer when it moved.  It didn't have spots like a bobcat but it was a good distance off.

Edited by Malsua

I believe that my wife saw a Mountain Lion or Bobcat several weeks back.

My property backs up to the Pequannock watershed, not to mention Waywayanda is a few miles away.   We see bears frequently, as well as fox, turkey and very rarely coyote.  She saw something up in the rocks behind the house that was big, was not a bear, and didn't move like a canine(coyote).  She said it moved cat-like.   It's hard to say without a picture, but considering she'd never seen one before I'm thinking it may be a mountain lion or possibly a bobcat.   It was a "lighter" color.

edited to add:  She at first thought it was a deer, it was facing away and since the color was even, but knew it wasn't a deer when it moved.  It didn't have spots like a bobcat but it was a good distance off.

Swore I saw one in Wayne a couple years ago, but everyone told me I was nuts(which I am) but I swore I saw a mountain lion.

That was mountain lions. They are here too though

No they are not The entire eastern sub species is extinct. I f there are any mountain lions in NJ they were pets that got loose from PA. In NJ when people think they see a mountain lion they are really seeing a Bobcat or sometimes people mistake a coyote for one as well.

Wasn't NJ denying that there were bears in NJ, maybe even 2 years ago?

Or was that some other animal?

Nope we had a bear hunt more than 2 years ago

We just had a bear in Bridgewater Twp. last week also my sister-in-law who lives in Dutchess County just lost 3 goats to a Mountain Lion......one of the goats about a 300 lber was dragged away from the pen.....the others were taken in the fenced in area......a Vet came out to examin the animals and immediately said it was a cat.

http://www.nj.com/hunterdon-county-democrat/index.ssf/2012/01/clinton_township_couple_believ.html

Here is a link to one article about mountain lions in NJ. For the last ten years I have one by my house. I normally see it twice a year. No it's not a bobcat,coyote or any of those other things. Somewhere I have a picture of its paw print in the snow. It will take some digging but when I find it I will post it up.

I posted this once before. This was taken in the Port Elizabeth area (Cumberland County). The one in the middle is obvious, a second to the left and maybe one or two more (cubs?) to the right. Pic was taken from a game camera. The husband of one of my wife's co-workers had placed the camera where he hunts.

f57b790d-8888-4bba-92fa-da14ad553ce5_zps

The ones on the left and the right are not bears. Bears are not that blurry. Those have to be Bigfeet.