tripcarl

+1 for Ottomanelli's Sporting Arms

FYI, new to being on their own and as per the NJSP, have record as being the highest volumn in firearm sales for NJ... Gotta mean something. Lucianos is still around and it's not them.

Another FYI, this thread is old. Prices have came down quite a bit on most items since OP.

Well, maybe they should say nada or grow a set. In this hobby, we are gun owners with a passion. A passion that may require a big set of nadz these days. ;)

An old cliché works for this I think, "If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all"... Especially if it's happening to you as you stand there. If you were getting pist by a salesman's action, why would you hold back? Is it possible that it is you and not them?

Another cliché I don't agree with. "The customer is always right"... As far as I'm concerned, that went out with the dark ages long go. People today will beat you to the ground to save a dollar and after brow beating you, go shopping elsewhere. I've seen businesses close just for that reason. Just one of the reasons we lose mom/pop stores these days. That saying was around many years ago when little stores bent over backwards to make money.

Check this out: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_customer_is_always_right

There is just too much bitching these days and most likely over nothing..

Like the other fellow said, they were a little short because of being busy.

Maybe it's just me, but in most cases owning a gun and being meek doesn't cut it.

If you are a consumer buying in a brick and mortar store. Stand your ground, be civil and try resolve your issues. Walking away will not fix it for you or the next person.

Sent from John's iPad 2 via Tapatalk HD

Typos courtesy Apple..

I'm not going to waste time in my day to tell someone how to run their business, I'll put someone in their place or say it how it is... and i did today by telling them the price is to high for the item, but what else am i supposed to do? i can literally get the gun 200 bucks cheaper.

I know that 200 bucks cheaper is off gunbroker, but the transfer still goes through an FLL where they make a decent profit from doing literally nothing.  But still, i thought the prices were high, and being competitive with the shops in the area is important.. I have a few Shops i go to... so its important. I though they had a great selection, so the place has things going for it.. the potential to empty my pockets is very high there. I thought the whole FID to hold guns and buy any ammo was WAY over the top, too. Sorry but i don't carry mine around with me in complete FEAR of losing it, it's not required by law, so i see this as just more lame ass restrictions.

For an example... i've put down payments on firearms with out my FID and purchased rifle and shotgun rounds at another local shop. The gun was priced right, no bargain or anything, and i could have gotten my ammo cheaper. My purpose wasn't to bash the place at all, i didnt leave with a bad taste or anything... just like maxed said it just left a little more to be desired. Wasn't a bad experience per say and wouldn't tell someone not to go there..

Hey by all means, get it cheaper. They wouldn't begrudge ya that. Neither would I..

I wouldn't compare things to gb though. Some of those guys blow stuff out so cheap, its amazing they make anything.

All I can say is they are getting better. Takes time... What were you looking for? I was in and out there all day?

Sent from my iPhone using TT 2 Pro

trying to source an max4 a300 beretta for under $800 before nics and tax local. My last bet is over at dicks.. been trying to avoid the place like the plague. Would like to get it before the weekend, if i have to order i might as well find somewhere cheap and give the ffl the transfer $$, they don't seem to be able to get one anytime soon though.. I found a couple on GB going for $650, the normal is about $700. I figure for a little extra i should be able to find one local.

I've always found these guys to be patient and helpful.  If you see something for an awesome price (don't use gun broker) tell them and see if they have an interest in matching it.  What could it hurt?

All mom & pop shops suffer from pricing and personality problems at some level or other. I've been annoyed at my local shop over prices. Have switched around. Capitalism. 

If you don't like a store, the best thing you can do -- for them and for yourself -- is to stop going. They either get the picture or go out of business. 

There are tons of places online that you can do business with. You pay $40-50-60-70 for the transfer fee, factor it into the price.

Checked this place out Saturday with a friend.  The huge bear on the sales floor by the door was pretty cool.  By far the most firearms I have seen in one place anywhere in Northern NJ.  I asked about a 1911 and they were more than friendly to let me see it, and talk about some other models.

I was a-little set back on their prices, but they are around the same as most places in Bergen County.  If they would match a decent online deal before FFL transfer around the holiday season; I'd buy this week.  I left a comment through their website; hopefully I get an email back before the holiday(s.)

I bought a Tavor from them. They were really nice/accommodating and do have a great selection. But there were several problems I had. Unfortunately, because of those issues I probably won't be going back. Here is a summary of my experience...

I was in the market for a Tavor and received info that Ottomanelli's had several in stock. I woke up on morning and called them, asking if they had a 16.5" model. They said yes. I told them I live far away but if they would hold it I would leave my house right away to drive up and buy it. They were nice enough to hold it.

There was construction and rain the whole trip. It took me 4 hours to get there. They were super nice and helpful upon my arrival. Because of the long trip I didn't look at the rifle when they brought the box out. Just opened it to quickly see that it was in fact sitting in the box. Drove another 4 hours home. In all, a 9 hour trip.

The next day I'm looking at it and notice that some things aren't right.

The first thing I notice is that it's not even 16.5". They gave me an 18".

Also, there was a flash suppressor on it.

Finally, I noticed the bayonet lug was completely stock and untouched.

I called them to ask about it and was more or less written off. They told me it was fine and that the lug was shaved down. After hanging up I inspected the lug (and had another gun shop look at it) and we both came to the conclusion that nothing was done to it.

I called Ottomanelli's back and told them that I took pictures of the lug and sent them to the shop via email so they could check it out. No one ever contacted me back. I posted pictures of the lug on this forum and on bullpupforum.com. Basically every single person agreed that it was not NJ compliant.

The next day (Sunday) I called Ottomanelli's and said I wanted to come up to have the lug looked at. I was told that their gunsmith wouldn't be there til Monday. I then said, "Ok, do I just come in anytime on Monday?" The person replied with "yeah, that's fine"

I make the long drive, enter the store and tell them my rifle isn't NJ compliant. They all sort of look at each other like, "yeah, ok..." Once I open the box and they see it their attitudes change. Then, the one guy goes, "I'm sorry, but the gunsmith doesn't even work today. He's not in until tomorrow". That's when I proceed to tell them about the long drive, etc. So the one guy takes it in the back and shaves the lug down.

Next, I ask about the flash hider. They assure me (several times) that it's 100% ok because the pistol isn't considered a pistol grip. I still felt uneasy and the one guy eventually said, "Look, if it will make you feel better I can permanently attach the flash hider for you." I said no thanks and left.

In the end, Steve at Monmouth Arms helped me out and made the rifle NJ compliant (thank you Steve).

Oh, I forgot to mention that the 30 round mag that came with the Tavor was illegal as well. They just popped a rivet in at 15 rounds. No block/permanent modification whatsoever.

They don't do the rivets... They come that way from what I've seen. Other mag companies do that too Ive noticed. I'm going to have a talk with them to see what happened. They just lost one guy that went to a totally different industry.

They are generally very NJ Compliant minded so this is strange.

Sent from my iPhone using TT 2 Pro

Their complaint work is shady to say the least. I looked at a couple of their ARs and none had the muzzle break devices pinned. When I questioned them on it they said they are permanent but won't tell me how and I did not see any silver solder either ... bhunted maybe Im mistaken but some time ago you mentioned a dealer was using jb weld was it this place?

A lot of their ARs are coming NJ Compliant. Example, the LWRCs are coming compliant. When a manufacturer does permanent muzzle devices silver weld, you won't see it. It's internal. If they come with non compliant mags, they swap them out with a 10 rounder on most. As for their pinning otherwise, they pin... don't know if they silver weld internally... I never had any done there... The JBW was a different case... I do know they are sticklers for doing things right which is why I'm surprised by this...

Hey Guys this is MIke Jr from Ottomanelli's,

Karl we at ottomanelli's wanted to follow up with your concerns with your Tavor. We are sorry that you had to drive up from a distance, we thought giving you some free ammo would have helped somewhat. However let me cover the issues at hand. First off the magazines are pinned with a rivet. For instance when an LWRC .308 REPR (roughly $3800 rifle) comes from the factory, all the magazine has is a rivet through it to make it 15 rounds NJ Compliant. So a magazine with a rivet is compliant per the manufactures. As far as the muzzle break in NJ semi auto rifles can have two evil features one on a Tavor the detachble mag and the barrel. As for the soldering issue it does not have to be visble, silver soldering is not visible on most factory rifles because it is done internally.

Please if you have any other issues, call us. We aim to please and want to make sure all our customers are happy.

I bought a Tavor from them. They were really nice/accommodating and do have a great selection. But there were several problems I had. Unfortunately, because of those issues I probably won't be going back. Here is a summary of my experience...

I was in the market for a Tavor and received info that Ottomanelli's had several in stock. I woke up on morning and called them, asking if they had a 16.5" model. They said yes. I told them I live far away but if they would hold it I would leave my house right away to drive up and buy it. They were nice enough to hold it.

There was construction and rain the whole trip. It took me 4 hours to get there. They were super nice and helpful upon my arrival. Because of the long trip I didn't look at the rifle when they brought the box out. Just opened it to quickly see that it was in fact sitting in the box. Drove another 4 hours home. In all, a 9 hour trip.

The next day I'm looking at it and notice that some things aren't right.

The first thing I notice is that it's not even 16.5". They gave me an 18".

Also, there was a flash suppressor on it.

Finally, I noticed the bayonet lug was completely stock and untouched.

I called them to ask about it and was more or less written off. They told me it was fine and that the lug was shaved down. After hanging up I inspected the lug (and had another gun shop look at it) and we both came to the conclusion that nothing was done to it.

I called Ottomanelli's back and told them that I took pictures of the lug and sent them to the shop via email so they could check it out. No one ever contacted me back. I posted pictures of the lug on this forum and on bullpupforum.com. Basically every single person agreed that it was not NJ compliant.

The next day (Sunday) I called Ottomanelli's and said I wanted to come up to have the lug looked at. I was told that their gunsmith wouldn't be there til Monday. I then said, "Ok, do I just come in anytime on Monday?" The person replied with "yeah, that's fine"

I make the long drive, enter the store and tell them my rifle isn't NJ compliant. They all sort of look at each other like, "yeah, ok..." Once I open the box and they see it their attitudes change. Then, the one guy goes, "I'm sorry, but the gunsmith doesn't even work today. He's not in until tomorrow". That's when I proceed to tell them about the long drive, etc. So the one guy takes it in the back and shaves the lug down.

Next, I ask about the flash hider. They assure me (several times) that it's 100% ok because the pistol isn't considered a pistol grip. I still felt uneasy and the one guy eventually said, "Look, if it will make you feel better I can permanently attach the flash hider for you." I said no thanks and left.

In the end, Steve at Monmouth Arms helped me out and made the rifle NJ compliant (thank you Steve).

Oh, I forgot to mention that the 30 round mag that came with the Tavor was illegal as well. They just popped a rivet in at 15 rounds. No block/permanent modification whatsoever.

I was there today with my wife to purchase her first gun. Sr, Jr, Dave and the rest of the gang were awesome. She had a bunch of questions that were answered quickly. While deciding between 2 guns, we never felt pressured into buying.

When it came time to do the paperwork, Jr walked her through the steps and made her feel comfortable since she is a first time buyer. They even laminated her FID card during the wait for NICS.

It's this type of detail to service that has me as a repeat customer and now my wife as a customer.

Almost forgot to tell everyone, the wife purchased a H&K P30.

What an overpriced shithole... Been there many know them well still the fat shmuck of an employee is as nonchalant as always.. Have nothing against the owner and his soon always respectful to me but I am not stepping my foot In There again, asking someone to show fid card to see a rifle considering I have purchased there before is simply disrespectful aside from the fact that it's not even a requirement for looking at something

What an overpriced shithole... Been there many know them well still the fat shmuck of an employee is as nonchalant as always.. Have nothing against the owner and his soon always respectful to me but I am not stepping my foot In There again, asking someone to show fid card to see a rifle considering I have purchased there before is simply disrespectful aside from the fact that it's not even a requirement for looking at something

Tell us how you really feel LOL

I've been there several times, sometimes just looking, other times to purchase . My wife bought a pistol from them last year, I stop by to get ammo as they sell a particular brand/caliber I prefer and I've always had a good experience. Yes their prices are high on some things but they have never been rude with me. I'm often there with my boys, 3 and 5 y/o and as well behaved as they are, they sometimes get a little crazy but the guys on Otto's never seem to mind, even when my boys try and "pet" the bear in the front of the store.

LOL, I literally have the same exact experience. There's this tall fatter guy that works there, looks like hes in his mid 20's. What a douchebag, everytime I go in there he gives me an attitude, looks at me like hes better than me, talks down towards me. I literally make it my mission to not even speak to him nor have him ring me up. Always gives me false information, says if i do this or that i'll get arrested (I'm not an idiot and the questions I ask him are textbook questions).. Just thinking about him makes me mad.

LOL, I literally have the same exact experience. There's this tall fatter guy that works there, looks like hes in his mid 20's. What a douchebag, everytime I go in there he gives me an attitude, looks at me like hes better than me, talks down towards me. I literally make it my mission to not even speak to him nor have him ring me up. Always gives me false information, says if i do this or that i'll get arrested (I'm not an idiot and the questions I ask him are textbook questions).. Just thinking about him makes me mad.

Went there a few times. Same experience. Just avoiding talking to this douch.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

went there last week for the first time. there was a guy in there doing a transfer and was complaining about the fee. i think he said it was $90 but they knocked it down to $65 or some such nonsense. the guy was saying that the place next door charges $20. thats when the employees went on a bit of a rant about transfers and what a pita they are and how they prefer not to do them etc. i ignored most of this as i was looking around. 2 things struck me. 1. very good selection of parts and accessories. probably the best i've seen so far. 2. the prices are indeed outrageous. now, some of this is due to the fact that they take it upon themselves to upgrade many of the stock items with new triggers, stocks, etc. but the bare stock guns were still $300-500 more than i've seen pretty much everywhere else. the employees seemed nice enough to me. the guy knew what he was talking about, didn't patronize me or try to sell me anything. it was quite pleasant actually. but yeah those prices though...

• Like 1

I think I've had the (dis)pleasure of dealing with this guy too. Last year when I first got my FPID, I went to Ottomanelli's to check out their long guns. Some guy was showing me an NJ compliant Colt and in an effort to make small talk, I said "I know NJ has an assault weapons ban. What makes the ARs and AKs in the shop legal?" Then he ripped the AR out of my hands and barked "It's illegal to disclose that information." I walked out of there and never went back.

I think I've had the (dis)pleasure of dealing with this guy too. Last year when I first got my FPID, I went to Ottomanelli's to check out their long guns. Some guy was showing me an NJ compliant Colt and in an effort to make small talk, I said "I know NJ has an assault weapons ban. What makes the ARs and AKs in the shop legal?" Then he ripped the AR out of my hands and barked "It's illegal to disclose that information." I walked out of there and never went back.

While I don't defend anyone them there any more, I call bullshit to that. He might be a bonehead but I know him enough that he's more of a nudge than to take a chance to jeopardize the business.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I mean, all I all have is my word. I was just taken aback at how angry he was I even asked that question.

He can be a twit. He's only an employee, not family. They'd fry his arse for saying something like that. Maybe you misinterpreted him. I dunno. You should have reported him though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk