Sludog

What revolver should I choose as my first?

So I am on day day 18 of my NICS check and I should be getting a call this week to pick up my Umberti rifle and Browning Buckmark at my LGS. I will have two purchase permits remaining that will expire July 2 so I will have to get them renewed and have until October 2 before they expire. Once I pick those babies up I will be shopping during the OGAM waiting period for a revolver maybe two. I am currently strictly a range shooter at the moment but hope to enter in some entry level competitions once my shooting skills improve probably next year sometime.  

The brands I have chosen are S&W and Colt. The Colt Python would be my first choice if they weren't $1500+ on GB and I have yet to see one in a shop.  The other Colt's are pretty hard to find and pricey and would almost certainly be used which to me is not an issue but there are occasionally some good deals to be had in private sales. I did handle a S&W 686 P series in shop which I really liked but wondered what other choices are out there. Also saw a 627 which caught my eye. They caliber must be .38 or .357 and 6 or 7 shot barrel.  My rifle is .38 special so I will mostly be shooting .38 special in the revolver when I go to the range. I was looking for a 3 or 4 inch barrel which I have seen in a few shops that felt comfortable in my hands.

My question is what revolver would you guys recommend as my first for my needs?

At lastly, I have read that numerous posts recommending to get a .357 instead of a .38 because of the flexibility in ammo choices and the extra weight makes a huge difference when shooting .38 in a .357 is like shooting a cap gun. Even if I will almost only shoot .38 ammo should I spend the extra money on the .357 revolver?  My other option would be get a snub .38 and a .357 to have the best of both worlds. 

Even though half my handguns are revolvers, i am not a revolver guy... So wait for pizza bob, Alec and others to come in. I will say, colt revolvers are super sexy, and super collectible.... But you don't shoot them.

I would put it this way, a colt python is a BMW 7 series of the revolver world. When it works it is a joy.... But when shit breaks, you are ready to turn it in. Obviously you know that Colt no longer makes revolvers, except some single action stuff. As such, it is purely a collectors market, with little ways of fixing revolvers. To refinish one, they still do, but it is over a year wait.

If you want, get a smith Wesson 686 or such.... The Lexus of the revo world. Great revo, but tons of support there. Built well. Me expensive as now close to 850 and up for new.

Other alternative is Ruger gp100. The Toyota Camry of the world..... Except when the gas pedal gets stuck. The ruger is not as refined as the smith or colt, but built like a tank.

I have owned a good number of revolvers over the years. They were all Smith&Wessons and Rugers, and all were excellent. But some were better than others. Without exception, the older ones were much better made and much smoother operating guns than the new ones. Chalk it up to hand fitting vs machine fitting, lawyers dictating heavier trigger pull weights on new guns, or something I am simply unaware of.

My first question is, is it going to be something you take pride in and want to pass on to grandkids?  If the answer is no, you just want a tough, reliable blaster that you expect to treat like shit, then get yourself a Taurus revolver and buy lots of ammo with the money you save over a Smith or Ruger.

If you do want a functional piece of art to pass on, there are plenty of guns that were both well-made and tough enough and good looking enough to shoot a lot, look great, and still be work reliably for your grandkids, In my opinion, the ones that fit the bill are OLDER Smith & Wessons and some Rugers (unless you are willing to spend the money for Performance Center or Pro series S&W, in which case the new ones are nice too). Rugers are a little rougher around the edges than S&W revolvers, and their cheaper prices reflect that. With the exception of some of the older Security Six models, I have never found Ruger revolvers to have the same good looks at S&W revolvers (yes, completely subjective, but a pretty popular sentiment), and Ruger triggers lag behind S&W triggers in having a nice smooth pull. A trigger job will bring any Ruger up to snuff quickly though. And Ruger's modular trigger group makes working on them easier than Smiths. My personal favorites are the K frame and N frame Smiths (see pictures below). I would recommend a Model 19 or Model 28-2 if you want something on the less expensive side. If you are willing to spend extra money on "pretty", a Model 27 is a blued piece of art. The popular adage "buy once, cry once" truly applies.

And if you are a stainless fan, you have no soul and are on your own. :)

SampW19-4002_zpsd4893b05.jpg

Model 19-3

SW002.jpg

Model 27-2 in the middle (sold to a forum member) - has great blued finish

Model 28-2 on the bottom (Not going anywhere :)) - has satin duty finish

Maks summed it up pretty nicely and I like his car analogies, so I can't add much there. You have pretty much answered all your own questions:

Caliber: .38/.357

Barrel Length: 3" - 4"

Use: Range gun, but future competitions

That pretty much leaves you with: S&W in a K, L or N frame, or a Ruger GP100. The ubiquitous 686 is the recommendation most often made, and with good reason - not too big, not too small, good for a lifetime of what ever type of shooting you had in mind. Nothing wrong with the Ruger GP100, or one of the larger or smaller Smiths (K or N frames).

With an eye toward future use, keep in mind that the two largest practical games restrict you to 6 rounds. IDPA restricts barrel length (4.2"). You want to choose the revolver that meets the rules of, and can be used in, as many different gun games as possible. If you find that wheelguns in competition are your cup of tea, you can buy more specialized guns in the future - right now you want a do-all, be-all with as little compromise as possible.

Good luck in your quest.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

one of the first thing you need to understand are the different size " Frames " of the smith and wesson revolvers. You mentioned both the 686 and 627 , which are different. The 627 will be larger then the 686. K / L Frame, N Frame, X Frame, J Frame, etc.... Depending on the size of your hands and comfort level, you may not find the larger N frame comfortable or vice versa

Also understand that a .357 magnum revolver can shoot both a 357 magnum, and a 38 special. BUT a 38 special gun cannot shoot a 357.

That being said, a 686 is a great gun to start on, pretty much meets all your needs listed above. 

Personally i'd stay away from the 7 shot variants, they hardly serve a purpose in the competition world, accessories are not as easy to find, and well.... 7.... that's just a stupid number for a revolver.... lol

In uspsa / idpa revolver division is limited to 6 rounds. In other shooting games such as steel challenge the 8 shot variant 627 revolvers are king.

My 2 cents on revolvers; based upon my experiences:

S&W Model 19 - K-frame (mid-sized).  The earlier ones (pinned barrel and recessed cylinder) are great guns; newer ones (no pin/no recessed cylinder) almost as good.  These are relatively plentiful...I have a nickeled 2.5" barrel and love it, but snubs are NOT for everyone. If I were in the market; I'd buy a 4 or 6 in barrel.  For a first/only, probably a 6 over a 4.  Stainless version is the M66

Colt Troopers - Mark III's or Mark V's are great guns, and they have that deep, deep bluing that i personally love.  Also made the King Cobra (stainless with heavy barrel) and the Peacekeeper (sandblasted/parkerized finished Mk V).  I find the actions to be a bit smoother than the K-Frame S&W, but its a matter of taste.

Dan Wesson - The interchangeable barrel capability is fascinating all by itself-if you find a pistol pack (3 or 4 barrels plus a frame, pair of grips and several different sight blades) its like getting a swiss-army knife of revolvers.  Guns are very accurate-triggers are good; hammer arc is shorter than colts or smiths.  Cylinder latch on the yoke is hard to get used to and a dirt collector.

Colt Python - freakin amazing revolvers...beautiful finish, great triggers, etc etc etc.  Never owned one but I've shot several.  Would love to have one, but don't have the $$$, and though they are fantastic, i'm not sure i would pay the current asking prices to own one (but i think i would trade the Dan Wesson pistol pack for one...)

Ruger Blackhawk - nice enough, but i am not a big Ruger fan  - i would take one of these over their DA revolvers

Charter arms - save your money until you can afford a gun...

I will add, if you really want a Colt Python, get a colt python if you find one around $1200 or so.  They go up in price every year, and people will get their price.  Colt has repeatedly stated they are out of the revolver game, and you cannot produce as fine of a revolver in today's marketplace for a reasonable price.

Keep in mind, when Colt started doing the pythons again, in the early 2000's, iirc, the price was much higher, and once again, the older ones went up even more in value, not to mention, better fit finish, triggers.  Lastly, the cold bluing on those revolvers, yum,  Colt Royal Blue.... just wow. 

PK90 a year or two ago had a goregous blued Python for $1200, that I feel like an ass for not picking up.  Right now, $1500 minimum.

Humn, I probably should pick up that 3" Royal Blue from 1970's in 99% condition. 

having colts mentioned a few times here.... Yah they are sexy looking, but parts and service will be a nightmare. Having shot one, I personally do not like the cylinder release latch. That being said, I'd love to own a 6" python...... ( to keep in my safe ) 

Rugers are built like tanks... I wouldn't hesitate using one as a hammer, literally. They are so beefy due to their " drop out " design trigger system on the bottom. vs smith and wessons side plate build. The Gp100 was my first revolver, I sold it to buy more smith and wessons.

Smith and Wessons are the most popular revolver in the competition world for good reason, service, parts availibility, modifications, triggers, and reliability. You cannot go wrong with one. 

As mentioned above too, the "older" s&w revolvers, often referred to as " pre lock" or " non-mim " are said to be of better quality, parts were forged vs metal injection molded, hand fitted vs machine fitted, and better quality control. Todays smith will function just as fine for the average shooter out of the box, but just some things to remember. 

My 2 cents on revolvers; based upon my experiences:

S&W Model 19 - K-frame (mid-sized).  The earlier ones (pinned barrel and recessed cylinder) are great guns; newer ones (no pin/no recessed cylinder) almost as good.  These are relatively plentiful...I have a nickeled 2.5" barrel and love it, but snubs are NOT for everyone. If I were in the market; I'd buy a 4 or 6 in barrel.  For a first/only, probably a 6 over a 4.  Stainless version is the M66

Colt Troopers - Mark III's or Mark V's are great guns, and they have that deep, deep bluing that i personally love.  Also made the King Cobra (stainless with heavy barrel) and the Peacekeeper (sandblasted/parkerized finished Mk V).  I find the actions to be a bit smoother than the K-Frame S&W, but its a matter of taste.

Dan Wesson - The interchangeable barrel capability is fascinating all by itself-if you find a pistol pack (3 or 4 barrels plus a frame, pair of grips and several different sight blades) its like getting a swiss-army knife of revolvers.  Guns are very accurate-triggers are good; hammer arc is shorter than colts or smiths.  Cylinder latch on the yoke is hard to get used to and a dirt collector.

Colt Python - freakin amazing revolvers...beautiful finish, great triggers, etc etc etc.  Never owned one but I've shot several.  Would love to have one, but don't have the $$$, and though they are fantastic, i'm not sure i would pay the current asking prices to own one (but i think i would trade the Dan Wesson pistol pack for one...)

Ruger Blackhawk - nice enough, but i am not a big Ruger fan  - i would take one of these over their DA revolvers

Charter arms - save your money until you can afford a gun...

^^^^^THIS^^^^^ and what Pizza Bob and Maks said.

I've had wheelies since '77.  I compete with them.  The 686 in stainless or a 586 in blue steel with 4" tube is all you need.  Is it a 100 yard gun?  NO, but you can use it at gun games and it will do fine.  And carry is comfortable (hahaha).  Home defense I'd recommend .38 +P hollow points.  No need for the extra blast and blinding flash at night.  So it can do almost everything right outta da box!

Dave

Personally i'd stay away from the 7 shot variants, they hardly serve a purpose in the competition world, accessories are not as easy to find, and well.... 7.... that's just a stupid number for a revolver.... lol

Couldn't agree more.

Never heard BadCo singing - seven-gun in my hand ...

Im surprised I didnt hear Rossi in those lists..near the bottom yes but not bad pieces for a HD or carry piece IMO for the price. At least the couple I owned were not bad guns.

Wow, I had no idea they made modern SA/DA revolvers. I thought Rossi just stuck with Cowboy stuff like Single Actions. I have a Rossi 92 Lever gun and love it. I would be willing to try one.

That being said, a 686 is a great gun to start on, pretty much meets all your needs listed above. 

Awww, com'mon, the 7 rounders rock! They are perfect for NY... Yeah, he is right though. Unless you are leaving it bedside to get that extra round...

It stinks for competition use. 6 round speedloaders are no problem, getting the rounds to line up on the 7 round loaders for some reason s(_)cks! With that being said, still my favorite revolver hands down.

If you are thinking competition gun, go for the 627 or the 625. Or you can just get the 686!

,___________________________________________/7_            |-_______------. `\                             |       _,/ | _______)     |___\____________________________|  .__/`((  | _______      | (/))___________________________|     `~) \ | _______)     |   /----------------------------|       `__y|______________|  /       / ________ __________/      / /#####\(  \  /     ))     / /#######|\  \(     //    / /########|.\_______//   / /###(\)###||`--------  / /##########|| / /###########||( (############|| \ \####(/)####))  \ \#########//   \ \#######//    `--------`

If you require / want more then 6 rounds, skip over to the 627 8 shot series.... cause, what's better then 7 rounds? that's right... 8 rounds. 

Range Toy - 686 ( or whatever your little heart desires ) 

IDPA - 686 or 625 ( 4")

USPSA - 625 

Steel Challenge - 627

ICORE - 627

some of my smiths , and my ruger lcr thrown in for good measure. 

Right side top to bottom 

S&W 617 4" ( 10 shot .22 )

S&W 625 5" ( 6 shot .45acp)

S&W 327 5" ( 8 shot 357/38)

Left side top to bottom

S&W 327 5" ( 8 shot 357/38 with red dot )

Ruger LCR 357 ( 5 shot )

8834424544_8aa8662280_b.jpg

8834425016_c97c9e214b_b.jpg

8834425408_929d3a9cf5_b.jpg

Thanks for the tip about 7 rounders a no go for competition. That would have been an expensive mistake. Looks like the most votes are for the 686. Seems like the perfect all around gun and fits all of my needs. I will check out the other models mentioned as well and I will keep my eyes open for the Colts as well. The 686 I saw in the shop was a 7 round so that one is out. 

Has anyone come across any used Colt's in NJ? 

Thanks for the tip about 7 rounders a no go for competition. That would have been an expensive mistake. Looks like the most votes are for the 686. Seems like the perfect all around gun and fits all of my needs. I will check out the other models mentioned as well and I will keep my eyes open for the Colts as well. The 686 I saw in the shop was a 7 round so that one is out. 

Has anyone come across any used Colt's in NJ? 

IMO colts are more of a " collectors " gun. Prices are highly inflated due to them being out of production, and all of a sudden everybody wants a colt python since the " walking dead" tv show came out.

Keep an eye out for a nice used smith and wesson if anything.

Also, What sort of gun game competitions to you plan on participating in? That will help steer some reccomendations as well.

Happy with the Ruger Sixes... perfect size and indestructible, and good value...   I like the Speed Six with the rounded grip.

I just recently got my first revolver, a nice new 686+ 4" and love it.  The thing drive tacks.  Handles .357 great, and shooting .38spl feels like you are firing a little .22 cal gun.  Highly recommend it.  Picked mine up for $729.

I have a question for those that were talking about 6 shots for competition.  Does that mean you cannot use the 7 shot gun, or that you can only load 6 rounds in it?

I just recently got my first revolver, a nice new 686+ 4" and love it.  The thing drive tacks.  Handles .357 great, and shooting .38spl feels like you are firing a little .22 cal gun.  Highly recommend it.  Picked mine up for $729.

I have a question for those that were talking about 6 shots for competition.  Does that mean you cannot use the 7 shot gun, or that you can only load 6 rounds in it?

Great price. Online purchase?

Great price. Online purchase?

Well it was an online find, but the purchase was just from an LGS that was in Florida that sold it to me over the phone via AmEx.  It was a new gun so I was not concerned and from an FFL in that state.  He shipped it to my FFL here for $30 and I had it the next day.  The point I was making is there are lots of dealers all over the country and sometimes you can find a gun elsewhere at the same or lower price than you can get it local.  Sometimes there are specific models you want elsewhere that you just can't find locally even at higher prices.  The web page I listed lets you search by specific gun and see what is around.  There are both new and used and weapons from dealers and individuals.  Obviously, dealing with an individual remotely has its risks.  Good luck.

Came across a few Dan Wesson .357 revolvers online. They are pretty inexpensive compared to S&W. Anyone have any experience with these guns? I saw a model 15 going for under $500 and another sell for $420. Why so cheap?

Many reasons.

Dan Wesson revolvers are a bit quirky, obsolete/unsupported (the current "Dan Wesson" is actually CZ, not the company that made the revolvers), and very much a 'niche' item-even when they were in production, which they no longer are.  The revolvers are out there, as you've found looking at the various auction sites, but parts can be a problem.  The overall quality of construction also varied...for example, if the revolver says "Palmer, MA" rather than "Monson, MA" - be very wary, because the quality of the Palmer Dan Wessons varied a lot more than the Monson, MA production.

The concept of interchangeable barrels makes it a "Swiss Army Knife" sort of a revolver - you can change it to suit your tastes and whatever course of fire you have chosen, be it service revolver, bullseye competition, or the snubbie category, all with one gun.  Once you know how, you can change the barrels faster than you can read these few paragraphs.  

I like my "Pistol Pack"; a small attache-style case that contains the revolver action, several grips, several front sites, and 4 barrels (2.5, 4, 6, and 8 inches). It lets the revolver be whatever I want it to be that day.

More info is available at:

http://www.notpurfect.com/main/dwrev.htm

While I like it, I am not sure if I would suggest it as someone's "first" or more particularly "only" revolver.  That is a decision you have to make.

Depends on the discipline. In USPSA you can use a 7 or 8 shot revolver, and load all chambers, but you must reload after six shots.

In IDPA, likewise, you can use a 7 or 8 shot revolver, but you can only load 6 rounds.

IDPA is harder because it means you have to properly index the cylinder after a reload. USPSA just means that you are dumping one or two live rounds when you do a reload.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

When I was buying a revolver not long ago, they had both 686 and GP100 in store.  I chose GP - it felt a bit better in my hand, and about $100 less expensive.  Besides, 686 was shiny stainless steel, which was not a plus in my eyes.