Sludog

What revolver should I choose as my first?

When I was buying a revolver not long ago, they had both 686 and GP100 in store.  I chose GP - it felt a bit better in my hand, and about $100 less expensive.  Besides, 686 was shiny stainless steel, which was not a plus in my eyes.

Yea, at first I was drawn to the stainless revolvers but know I think I am leaning more towards the blue with wood grips. Is this normal? lol

Yea, at first I was drawn to the stainless revolvers but know I think I am leaning more towards the blue with wood grips. Is this normal? lol

You are not the only one. My first revolver was a 686. Now I only have blued.

Thanks for the tip about 7 rounders a no go for competition. That would have been an expensive mistake. Looks like the most votes are for the 686. Seems like the perfect all around gun and fits all of my needs. I will check out the other models mentioned as well and I will keep my eyes open for the Colts as well. The 686 I saw in the shop was a 7 round so that one is out. 

Has anyone come across any used Colt's in NJ? 

I picked up an original colt trooper (1963) 4", blued in excellent shape.

Found it at shoreshot 2 months ago for $450. LOVE IT!

There out there,saw one at cheyenne a while back.

I picked up an original colt trooper (1963) 4", blued in excellent shape.

Found it at shoreshot 2 months ago for $450. LOVE IT!

There out there,saw one at cheyenne a while back.

Awesome deal. I see them going for $500+ on Gunbroker. I was at shoreshot last week and they did not have any used .357 but did have a snub nose 686 for $850.

Awesome deal. I see them going for $500+ on Gunbroker. I was at shoreshot last week and they did not have any used .357 but did have a snub nose 686 for $850.

Short barrel revolvers, especially in the larger frames, go for big money. Search Gunbroker for short barrel (3" and under) Model 27-2. They are usually on the wrong side of $1000. A snubnose Model 27 would be cool as hell though.

Colt troopers are really good revolvers, and honestly, if you can get them for under $600, well worth it. The market price on gunbroker and other sites is absolutely going up on them.

A trooper, mark 3... really is a baby Colt Python. 90% of the gun.... and once again... not made anymore.

Again though, I would not recommend it as a first revolver for someone though.

Colt troopers are really good revolvers, and honestly, if you can get them for under $600, well worth it. The market price on gunbroker and other sites is absolutely going up on them.

A trooper, mark 3... really is a baby Colt Python. 90% of the gun.... and once again... not made anymore.

Again though, I would not recommend it as a first revolver for someone though.

Not recommend? Is it a reliability issue?

Not recommend? Is it a reliability issue?

Revolvers are no longer made, no real factory support.

These revolvers are 30 years old plus.... old springs, etc... would not recommend as first gun, or primary revolver.