gleninjersey

Where To Purchase First Handgun?

So it is sounding like I'll have my FID and permit soon.  I'm leaning towards a Smith & Wesson 686 Plus in a 6 inch barrel (though I want to try out the M&P 9mm).  What places do you recommend I look to purchase?  I'm willing to purchase preowned but would want to purchase from a reputable place b/c I really don't know what to look for when purchaseing a used gun.  Is it work purchasing used or should I just stick with new for first purchase?  Thanks in advance for your advice/input.

Unlike purchasing a lot of things used, guns are rarely used and adused. You can sometimes find good deals on used guns. Dont hesitate to put feelers out here through the vendors in your area. They may have leads on what you are looking for.

Heritage Guild on rt22 in Branchburg is good shop w/ good inventory.

They also have a shops in Rahway and Easton so if they don't have in shop they can get it sent from their other shops. Their Easton shop has real nice indoor range.

Sportsman Rendezvous in Flemington has decent inventory, but they require you to have your fid and purchase permit w/ you just to look at handguns.

Efingers in Boundbrook is ok too but their inventory is not good right now.

These are a few shops in your local area

Lou's in Raritan is a good place, the price you see isn't exactly the price you pay, it is usually a little less. You should shop around and then check with Jim Flynns Truck Repair on RT 31 in Glen Gardner. He is a FFL and his prices are pretty good. He does not carry alot but he will order anything you want. You will need to know the model # if you want something special. You need to know what you want and then check what price he can get it for. Good Luck!

Hello Glenn,

I am in your area as a few posters above as well. Have good experiences with all the gun shops mentioned.

As for used the best source i ve found is this forum and usually you can get a good deal on a great used gun.

Heritage in Eason rents guns and you can try out a lot of stuff.

Or best way meet up with somebody on the forum who is willing to let you try theirs, just buy the ammo.

Hahaha this made me laugh out loud... He takes some getting use to but Marshall is very good for information. 

This.

See Chris though. Marshall can be kind a tool sometimes.

And, I of course recommend Lou's as well. Either of the guy's are great. Excellent neighborhood shop to stop in and shoot the shit.

Unlike purchasing a lot of things used, guns are rarely used and adused. You can sometimes find good deals on used guns. Dont hesitate to put feelers out here through the vendors in your area. They may have leads on what you are looking for.

What about manufacturer support of used? Specifically S&W's Lifetime Service Policy, does that follow the gun?

Edit: Found my answer on S&W site:

1. Lifetime Service Policy

We will repair any defect in material or workmanship without charge to the original purchaser for as long as you own the handgun.

Don't forget the internet.  I found my new 686 from a LGS in Florida and even with shipping and FFL fees it was cheaper than I could find in NJ - and they had it in stock.  I found it by using armslist.com and then calling the dealer and working out a deal.

Hahaha this made me laugh out loud... He takes some getting use to but Marshall is very good for information. 

And, I of course recommend Lou's as well. Either of the guy's are great. Excellent neighborhood shop to stop in and shoot the shit.

He's not a bad guy, just gets impatient sometimes. other times he'll bend over backwards got you. Chris has always been great even when I was a noob

So I called Heritage Guild in Easton and inquired about a S&W 686 Plus in a 6 inch barrel. Don't have one in stock right now (they had 4 inch for $820) but they took my name and information. I'll also take a look at Lou's in Raritan but they are closed today.

You can also try to look online at budsgunshop ; grabagun ; kygunco ;

Carlucci arms ( they are in NJ in Randolph )

http://www.carlucciarms.com/smithandwesson686revolver357magnum7barrel7roundsadastainlesscustomwoodgriptalo150855.aspx

If you find one online and want to transfer it via a local FFL

i would reccomend Seth in Bernardsville http://www.njffl.com/ , since lous and Heritage charge and arm and a leg for a transfer.

So I called Heritage Guild in Easton and inquired about a S&W 686 Plus in a 6 inch barrel. Don't have one in stock right now (they had 4 inch for $820) but they took my name and information. I'll also take a look at Lou's in Raritan but they are closed today.

If you are not hell bent on a 6" barrel, I would look at the 4". It is the best all around compromise (long enough for good sight radius, short enough to be handy and not unwieldy, and not as nose heavy as a 6").

If you are not hell bent on a 6" barrel, I would look at the 4". It is the best all around compromise (long enough for good sight radius, short enough to be handy and not unwieldy, and not as nose heavy as a 6").

And it sure is purrty....but really, I'm a little worried about the recoil of the 4 inch barrel.  I rented and shot (about 100 rounds) the 6 inch and it felt great.  The 4 inch isn't totally out of the running.  I want to try shooting one before I buy though.

And it sure is purrty....but really, I'm a little worried about the recoil of the 4 inch barrel. I rented and shot (about 100 rounds) the 6 inch and it felt great. The 4 inch isn't totally out of the running. I want to try shooting one before I buy though.

To me the only reasons I would choose a six inch barrel over a 4inch barrel were if I were hunting and needed the extra velocity provided by the 2 inches. Or if I were a bullseye shooter and the extra sight radius would help. The difference in recoil will be negligible. That said,

different things appeal to different people and ultimately you are the one that has to live with it.

I had a good experience at Lou's as well for my first handgun purchase.  They actually tried to get what I wanted in stock and when they couldn't, I still transfered through their store at the higher prices for their effort.