gleninjersey

Where To Purchase First Handgun?

You can also try to look online at budsgunshop ; grabagun ; kygunco ;

Carlucci arms ( they are in NJ in Randolph )

http://www.carlucciarms.com/smithandwesson686revolver357magnum7barrel7roundsadastainlesscustomwoodgriptalo150855.aspx

If you find one online and want to transfer it via a local FFL

i would reccomend Seth in Bernardsville http://www.njffl.com/ , since lous and Heritage charge and arm and a leg for a transfer.

I just left Heritage in Easton and can't believe I talked myself out of buying the 686 Plus in a 4 inch.  I don't like the idea of even the possibility that the gun could lock up and be rendered useless.  I'm going to go with the Ruger GP 100.

While there I rented the Smith and Wesson MP 9mm.  Very nice gun.  It will probably be my first semi-automatic purchase after the 357.  Any one new to guns and looking at semi's, I would recommend checking it out.  It was very smooth. not a lot of recoil and holds 15 rounds (not sure what the legal limit is in NJ as I'm only looking at revolver for 1st purchase) and it is nicely priced (around $500 I think).

DamnjanBlues, I should have asked why I was in Easton....but if I buy a handgun in Easton what do they charge to ship it to one of their stores in NJ?  if it is a considerable amount mayble I'd be better of just looking for the GP100 in NJ???  But I would like to buy it from Heritage as they seem resonably prices and have been very informative and helpful as far as rentals and answering questions.

I would not be concerned with the locks failing, its very rare.  If it concerns you, it is possible to remove the lock mechanism and there is a company on the web that sells a plug to go in the hole.

I would not be concerned with the locks failing, its very rare.  If it concerns you, it is possible to remove the lock mechanism and there is a company on the web that sells a plug to go in the hole.

Very rare, but it does happen......I'm not willing to risk my or my famiy's life on that.   

For my first hand gun I want something simple to operate and will work when I need it, 100% of the time.  While a Ruger may have a misfire I just need to pull the trigger again to go to the next bullet.  While the possiblitliy of the Smith locking up is extrememly rare it is not a risk I'm willing to take especially considering the $100 or so premium for the Smith over the Ruger.  To then spend any additional amount of money to eliminate that risk just doesn't make sense to me.

Yes the S&W 686 plus is a fine gun and has one extra round over the GP100 but the premium and additional cost to reduce the possibiliy of the gun locking up is not worth it to me at this time.  I'll save the extra $100 or so and use it for ammo, lessons or my next gun!  Just my opinion as a first time gun buyer.

I don't think anyone within a reasonable distance of me has a new 4 inch Ruger GP100 in stainless steel for sale. :(

Oh well, will just keep calling periodically.

Saw a 6 or 7 inch one at Tip's today. I think it was the 100 or maybe the 101. I can't tell the difference.

I live in Bergen County. I'm going to be purchasing my first firearm in the near future. Waiting for the last reference to come in, kind of hard when he goes on a as a last minute addition to a dig in Israel. No joke.

So i was wondering where the best place to go in the area might be located. I know Ramsey outdoor has long guns but I'm not sure about handguns. Any help is great.

Also is there a page that explains how to do online purchases? I'm confused on how those transactions work. I know I should look but my search didn't work out for me.

In case anyone is curious I am deciding between the Springfield 1911 range officer and the FNH FNX 45 tactical.

Ramsey Outdoor "in" Ramsey has handguns & long guns. The store in Paramus is now closed. They had limited handguns.

There is always Meltzers in Garfield. Caso's in Jersey City is always good to me, only 3.5% Tax there.

I have always found Ramsay Sporting to have bad prices, high transfer fees, and indifferent employees. It might be my last choice, or at least a tossup with Sayreville Sportsman.

Get in your car and be willing to drive 1 1/2 hours. There is a world of good gun stores in this state with good prices and good customer service.

Ramsey's guns was always $30-$50 cheaper than Meltzers. They were also about the same as Casos' even with the 3.5% tax. The difference is not really a deal breaker, especially if they have it and i have a PP ready to go.  Could easily spend that on gas etc... 

I can understand why they can be an indifferent staff at Ramsey outdoor given the population in the area but still not an excuse for poor service. At least when I have shopped there for other items they have been great on the service end.

Thanks for the other shop suggestions. When I tried to do some quick searches Meltzer's never came up.

Ramsey Outdoor "in" Ramsey has handguns & long guns. The store in Paramus is now closed. They had limited handguns. 

There is always Meltzers in Garfield. Caso's in Jersey City is always good to me, only 3.5% Tax there.

I have always found Ramsay Sporting to have bad prices, high transfer fees, and indifferent employees. It might be my last choice, or at least a tossup with Sayreville Sportsman.

Get in your car and be willing to drive 1 1/2 hours. There is a world of good gun stores in this state with good prices and good customer service.

+1 for avoiding Sayreville sportsman

I live in Bergen County. I'm going to be purchasing my first firearm in the near future. Waiting for the last reference to come in, kind of hard when he goes on a as a last minute addition to a dig in Israel. No joke.

So i was wondering where the best place to go in the area might be located. I know Ramsey outdoor has long guns but I'm not sure about handguns. Any help is great.

Also is there a page that explains how to do online purchases? I'm confused on how those transactions work. I know I should look but my search didn't work out for me.

In case anyone is curious I am deciding between the Springfield 1911 range officer and the FNH FNX 45 tactical.

Try Otomanelli's at the Woodland Park Range

http://www.osarms.com/

......and by the way.....do join The NRA and NJ2AS.........

Late bump to this post, but wanted to add my $0.02...

Ramsey Outdoor is always disappointing.  I was seriously looking at a Beretta Cx4 rifle but was told I could not separate and inspect the upper "because it is a new gun, and then it would not be new".  I then found a used 92FS that I seriously considered but was again told I could not remove the slide to inspect.  So now this mystery policy is suddenly effective on a used pistol??  It seems their policy is to not allow customers to inspect guns because the STAFF does not know how to field strip and reassemble.

Thanks, no thanks.  I'll stick to Caso's, Meltzer's, or Pennsylvania (in that order).

Late bump to this post, but wanted to add my $0.02...

Ramsey Outdoor is always disappointing.  I was seriously looking at a Beretta Cx4 rifle but was told I could not separate and inspect the upper "because it is a new gun, and then it would not be new".  I then found a used 92FS that I seriously considered but was again told I could not remove the slide to inspect.  So now this mystery policy is suddenly effective on a used pistol??  It seems their policy is to not allow customers to inspect guns because the STAFF does not know how to field strip and reassemble.

Thanks, no thanks.  I'll stick to Caso's, Meltzer's, or Pennsylvania (in that order).

That is such a shame because I like them for just about everything else. The floor staff in the rest of the place is great, helpful, polite and fast.

I actually ended up getting my first handgun from Meltzer's. Nice guys. I'll have to check out Caso's soon.

I'm not sure what happened with Ramsey. I bought my first few guns from there but they seriously went down hill. There inventory is very limited and it seems whatever gun your looking for, there's always a shortage on or hard to get. They also seem like they only want to sell what's on the floor before they order for you. Most of the pistols they have in the case seem to be scratched up. I've pointed it out and asked if they could order a new one and they gave me some story of how hard it is to get that pistol. I passed on it and ordered it from another shop and got it a week later. They really need to work on there inventory a get other sources for ordering firearms.

Hi Glen

A friend is selling her 586 (blued) 8" barrel if you're interested. We can meet at HG in Easton again if you want to try it.

Lou's usually has a good selection of used. HG in Branchburg is also good and they usually have the 686 in stock, though not always the Plus. If Easton has it they can get it to Branchburg within a week.

Lous is great.  They treat you like family even if you are still still undecided.  They know their stuff, prices are great and have a lot of inventory (both new and used).  Willing to special order.  Always learn a lot when I go there too. They outfitted me with a Rem 700/Scope set up and saved me a lot of money by recommending a great Konus scope.