Luso

NJGF Poker?

Out of curiosity, are there any forum members who regularly play Hold-em? 

Been out of the game for a while and moved to north Jersey last year so I don't know anyone around here. Wondering if there are any casual, low stakes games that get together. Might be a good way to get to know other people 

I'd be willing to host in Morris county and would travel throughout  north jersey.

PS must like dogs I don't lock them up.

If we get like 10 people in the North Jersey area, I have no problem creating an email like NJGFCARDS and making an email list and start blasting out potential dates/locations.

I am wondering if there is a public place where a table or room can just be rented. Would make everyone feel comfortable being in a common public place and no one has to feel the burden of hosting strangers. Then as people get comfortable we could start rotating hosts?

Also I think Cash game lends itself much better to the social aspect. Let's people play at their own pace, and no one likes busting out and then watching everyone else have fun. low stakes ...more for the social/fun aspect than the $$ 

Also I think Cash game lends itself much better to the social aspect. Let's people play at their own pace, and no one likes busting out and then watching everyone else have fun. low stakes ...more for the social/fun aspect than the $$

Agreed. no need to play big money and create tension

Before I had a family I went to Harrahs about 2-3 times a month. Play very rarely now, but would be down for a local game. Typically tournament style works better for home games...

How so? Would be interested in hearing the rationale.

To me, tournaments would be worse:

1. People can't leave if they want to if they are still in

2. If you bust out after 2 hands, now you could be sitting there watching people have fun for hours. That's not fun and will make people bitter

3. It's a generally more tense and contentious type of format, no one likes to bust out before they bubble into a payout position.

4. Cash games can be made for low stakes, and have a generally relaxed, easy going pace. People are not rushed into playing hands for fear of being blinded out.

5. People can stand up to go to the bathroom for a few hands and not care

the goal of this is just to get people together for a friendly game and meet new like minded people. In my opinion tourneys may be better suited later on when everyone knows eachother a little better

Typically tournament style works better for home games...

I agree, tournament is more controlled. We could do one time extra buy in, like a second chance if you get kicked out early in the tournament.

As for cash games you can always buy in which people with deep pockets will just keep going. It does have a good side of taking a break at anytime, but I rarely play cash games at home.

I play regularly and play both ways. We play $1-2 and a average buyin of $100 when we play cash. When we play tournys we do a friendly $25 buyin and sometimes give the option for rebuy depending on turnout for the game.

With rebuys it tends to create loose cannons and alot of all in hands, which creates a unpleasant game.

We used to play strictly tournys but people who got knocked out early were bummed cause they either had to watch or go home early. So we mostly play $1-2 now. and tournys once a month.

I will play either......

Well I guess if low stakes, cash would be ok, but $1/$2 with $100 buy ins may be a little steep for ppl that haven't played in a while or aren't very experienced... What I meant I guess was with a tournament you can buy in for x amount of money and possibly play for hours without having to shell out more cash. You make valid points tho...

I'm down either way.

We usually play a tournament then start a cash game when ppl bust out.

To manage the loose cannons you have to limit to one re-buy...

1/2 are you saying with a limit?

I can't play limit because it takes away some of the chance of losing it all in one hand.

No def not, I hate limit poker. It also takes away the ability to maximize a winning hand or to push out week players/hands.