Sl0818

Can handguns be bought FTF privately ?

Can handguns be bought or sold FTF with a Coe and p2p ? From what I've been told only long guns can be don privately with supporting documents

Where are you getting your information? Wherever it is stop listening and just read through the forum.

Handguns can be bought and sold FTF with a COE, a matching DL, and a valid Permit to Purchase a handgun.

Where are you getting your information? Wherever it is stop listening and just read through the forum.

Handguns can be bought and sold FTF with a COE, a matching DL, and a valid Permit to Purchase a handgun.

From a police officer a while ago , thanks for clearing that up for me

From a police officer a while ago , thanks for clearing that up for me

That makes sense, unless you are talking to a state trooper from the firearms unit, your average cop doesn't know all the complexities of NJ gun laws.

Yay..I'm not average

I tried to word it "nicely" so I didn't get barraged with accusations of hating all cops. Obviously the cops who are into firearms in their personal life will know the laws better then those cops who only see guns as a tool for work.

FWIW, a COE is not necessary for a private handgun transaction.  DL, FID and P2P.  All copies are marked to tell you where they go.  Mail them within a week and life is good.

C

FWIW, a COE is not necessary for a private handgun transaction.  DL, FID and P2P.  All copies are marked to tell you where they go.  Mail them within a week and life is good.

C

FWIW, an FPID is not needed to buy a pistol all you need is a valid P2P.

Or move out of NJ buy sale and trade like a normal american*

* Except in District of Columbia, NYC, New York, Connecticut, California, Hawaii, Maryland, Chicago............

:lol: Thanks I needed to hear something funny.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

I dont know where you are getting your information from but STOP listening to them. 

First you said yesterday that pistol ar's are illegal from what you heard. Now you ask this? 

Alot of people on here will gladly help you straighten out those mythical laws you been hearing. 

Or look for "johnp" and click on the signature he has about NJ gun laws or from "vladtepes" its on his signature as well. 

I learned a whole lot from these guys in this forum, I suggest you ask them. 

??  Long Guns Yes a COE is needed but no P2P, Hand Guns NO, you can do a a F2F with a P2P and FID and DL no COE required and technically neither is a FID with a P2P in hand...

welcome to the forums and the gun world! and yes there actually is lol http://njgunforums.com/forum/index.php?/topic/12239-acronyms-and-abbreviations/?&hl=abbreviations&fromsearch=1

trust me i studied it for the first month i was on here/a firearms owner. You will learn real fast.

great information.  if I may ask, if doing a FTF transaction (pistols or long guns), where does the NICS check come in ?  Is that still required ?

thanks

arnoldr

The equivalent of a NICS check was done at the time that the buyer obtained their FPID or P2P.

Thanks Jon,

That's what I was thinking, a more thorough background has been done prior to the issuance of the FID and/or P2P. I'm curious then as to why a NICS is done when you go buy a firearm from a dealer and/or transfer thru a FFL.

arnold r.

Thanks Jon,

That's what I was thinking, a more thorough background has been done prior to the issuance of the FID and/or P2P. I'm curious then as to why a NICS is done when you go buy a firearm from a dealer and/or transfer thru a FFL.

arnold r.

The check at a dealer is in order to comply with Federal Law. The checks at the Police Dept level are done to comply with State Law.

The check at a dealer is in order to comply with Federal Law. The checks at the Police Dept level are done to comply with State Law.

My answer would just have been, "There are two checks done because this state is ass backards." :p