malice95

Waffen Werks AK74 opinions?

I'd like a 74 (not a Saiga), either a parts kit or ready to shoot

That $500 above is twice the price I would expect for a parts kit build (though I'm not factoring in refinishing it).  I expect that builder is top notch though

But where are you guys finding 545 these days?  Haven't been shooting mine because I'm having trouble finding anything reasonable in bulk

In State of New Jersey vs. Robert D. Merrill, the court dismissed the gun possession charge as unconstitutional. The gun in question was a MAK 90. A MAK 90 literally has "AK" in the name - it stands for Modified AK 1990. To my knowledge, most MAK 90s actually say MAK 90 on the receiver. So, I am not sure having the letters "AK" on the receiver means anything at all with respect to NJ legal status.

In State of New Jersey vs. Robert D. Merrill, the court dismissed the gun possession charge as unconstitutional. The gun in question was a MAK 90. A MAK 90 literally has "AK" in the name - it stands for Modified AK 1990. To my knowledge, most MAK 90s actually say MAK 90 on the receiver. So, I am not sure having the letters "AK" on the receiver means anything at all with respect to NJ legal status.

interesting. what was the original charge? possession of what?

He did not know it was an "Assault Weapon" because NJ's laws are so confusing.

Same with M1 carbines, lot's of people in NJ have them but are not aware they are illegal. 

Most people would agree, if they had a MAK-90 and knew it was illegal in NJ they would likely take it out of state or take it to a buy-back program to avoid any legal trouble.

Same with M1 carbines, lot's of people in NJ have them but are not aware they are illegal. 

Most people would agree, if they had a MAK-90 and knew it was illegal in NJ they would likely take it out of state or take it to a buy-back program to avoid any legal trouble.

I don't think anyone would agree that selling good/nice guns at a buy-back is an option ever.

I don't think anyone would agree that selling good/nice guns at a buy-back is an option ever.

I agree, give it a good home or store it out of state but some people lack common sense or knoweldge of the law and think the only way is to turn those nice guns in....and have them made into clothes hangers :(

Am I correct when I say this: that MAK 90 court decision seems to have "opened the door," in effect setting a precedent in NJ with regard to the perceived legality of owning a MAK 90 in the state?

In other words, the law was deemed unconstitutional in this case, in short, because the man didn't realize what he had.

But if, for example, any of us wanted to go out and buy a MAK 90 - today - knowing the exact language of the law... the consensus opinion is that it is legal?

Am I correct when I say this: that MAK 90 court decision seems to have "opened the door," in effect setting a precedent in NJ with regard to the perceived legality of owning a MAK 90 in the state?

In other words, the law was deemed unconstitutional in this case, in short, because the man didn't realize what he had.

But if, for example, any of us wanted to go out and buy a MAK 90 - today - knowing the exact language of the law... the consensus opinion is that it is legal?

Not sure, If you can find an FFL willing to transfer it why not buy it?

What the case says, in my opinion (and remember, advice on the internet is worth what you paid for it..)

MAK-90 case, guy gets off because the laws are too muddy to understand.

AG comes out with guidlines to clarify.

AG says, your gun is a (for example) Avtomat Kalashnikov type IF

It has two or more features....

Not...

IF it has two letters in its name

I had conversation with FFL about this matter. 

He said (as per AG guidelines) only "evil" features matter in the determination. 

Some FFL's will refuse to transfer anything they feel might come with risk by transfering it. Hence, you might find one FFL who might say "Sure, order it" the other might say "Nope, not gonna happen at my store".

I had one FFL refuse to transfer a WASR and Colt Match Target since they had "a lot more guns to risk loosing versus that rifle you purchased".

What the case says, in my opinion (and remember, advice on the internet is worth what you paid for it..)

MAK-90 case, guy gets off because the laws are too muddy to understand.

AG comes out with guidlines to clarify.

AG says, your gun is a (for example) Avtomat Kalashnikov type IF

It has two or more features....

Not...

IF it has two letters in its name

Totally agree. This is right on.

Thanks for the link..

Sweet.. so living in Monmouth county.. it looks like I have precedent on my side to own an *AK*.

Now I just need to find an FFL willing to transfer one. Anyone have a recommendation for an AK friendly FFL?

The FFL will have to be able to weld the brake and block the mags to 15 rds with magblocks

Thanks for the link..

Sweet.. so living in Monmouth county.. it looks like I have precedent on my side to own an *AK*.

Now I just need to find an FFL willing to transfer one. Anyone have a recommendation for an AK friendly FFL?

The FFL will have to be able to weld the brake and block the mags to 15 rds with magblocks

Check with Steven at Monmouth Arms. His handle on here is remixer. He just did a WASR 10/63 for me. Great guy to deal with and prices are VERY reasonable.