malice95

Waffen Werks AK74 opinions?

Tapco mags work just fine and easy to convert to 14 rounders (I wouldn't go for 15 round since AK needs 3/4 of round extra room to cycle and it is possible to squeeze #16 into soft polymer mag.) 

Those for $599 are blemished, I wouldn't take it unless you are planning to change furniture or like to refinish wood. 

They have normal ones for $649 http://www.classicfirearms.com/ak74riflewuspartsw1magonly

Tapco mags work just fine and easy to convert to 14 rounders (I wouldn't go for 15 round since AK needs 3/4 of round extra room to cycle and it is possible to squeeze #16 into soft polymer mag.) 

They have normal ones for $649 http://www.classicfirearms.com/ak74riflewuspartsw1magonly

are these NJ compliant without AK markings on receiver?  if so, im going to order one.

Those have AK-74 markings on the receiver, but I don't think markings have anything to do with NJ compliance. 

Back in 199x there was a case dismissed in Sussex county and there was AG guidelines afterwards. 

Someone more knowledgeable can provide more info. 

Those for $599 are blemished, I wouldn't take it unless you are planning to change furniture or like to refinish wood. 

Vini

Do you have a measurement or which rib you cut at to make the mag 14rds?

Thanks,

Carl

No need to cut the mag body, just the follower of 10 round mag. 

[Note: I don't know if it's legal to do in NJ, haven't done my research, but as far as I know NJ FFLs don't deal with mag modifications, there might be a reason for that. If it's not legal in NJ, you can take a hacksaw on your next trip to PA and cut follower at the first rest area (takes less than minute). Mine were modified by someone in PA.]

All you have to do: disassemble the mag, insert only follower, stuff in 15 rounds and mark the follower (knife will work) at the place where it sticks out of the mag body, mark all 3 sides. Take a hacksaw, cut just inside the marked line (to cut a bit (1mm) more and have follower a bit shorter than marked line). Polish a bit with sand paper. Assemble the mag - you have great 14 rounder. No need to cut the spring. 

hey Vinni .. why am i note getting this...(about ak mags to 14 rds...) do you cut the mag body?

No, there is NO need to cut mag body. No need for higher than 10rd mag. 

The follower is long, it can be shortened. 

I called my FFL about getting one of these nice ak's yesterday. He said that because they are marked ak74 on the receiver that they are banned by name. Just like the M1 carbine is. I think ill have to call the NJSP on Monday. 

Don't bother. The moment you say "AK", you will get shut down by them. They hear those two letters and make a snap judgement. Instead, inquire on the board about other FFL's in your area that are OK  with it.

You are joking right? Calling the NJSP?

+1

The whole "mommy may I" thing is what got the auto-ord M1 carbine botched in NJ.  They said its OK and then when a million people called saying REALLY?!?!?! they went oh wait maybe this is a bad idea and they went back and said ah nevermind.

hmmmm....................maybe grind down/off the AK letters?   :facepalm:

I don't think removing writing on receiver is a good idea. 

Just get in touch with Jet Agent, they took care of my WW74.

Chapter 39. Firearms, Other Dangerous Weapons, and Instruments of Crime

2C:39-1. Definitions. The following definitions apply to this chapter and to chapter 58:

a. "Antique firearm" means any rifle or shotgun and "antique cannon" means a destructive device defined in paragraph (3) of subsection c. of this section, if the rifle, shotgun or destructive device, as the case may be, is incapable of being fired or discharged, or which does not fire fixed ammunition, regardless of date of manufacture, or was manufactured before 1898 for which cartridge ammunition is not commercially available, and is possessed as a curiosity or ornament or for its historical significance or value.

"Deface" means to remove, deface, cover, alter or destroy the name of the maker, model designation, manufacturer's serial number or any other distinguishing identification mark or number on any firearm.