Sign in to follow this  
BrianN

Building Your Own 1911

So I'm putting in for my first pistol permits today and am thinking about piecing together a  nice 1911.  Being a broke grad student I rarely have large chunks of cash to drop at any one time so I figure that buying parts here and there over an extended period of time makes more sense.  I understand that it will cost more in the long run, but I will be getting exactly what I want plus a little hands on pistol education to boot.  My question is, are there any websites you guys would recommend for leading you through all the steps of building your own 1911?  What part companies put out the best products?

Any and all experience, hints, tips, etc. that you guys can pass along would be great.  I'm sure I'll have plenty of time to get a better feel of what I want before my permits actually get approved.

If you build it yourself you're going to have to buy the parts and the tools too. 1911's aren't plug-and-play the way AR's are and a lot of the tools and fixtures are unique to gunsmithing.

Check out http://forums.1911forum.com/ while you're at it though, especially http://forums.1911forum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=18

I suggest you buy a cheaper model and just sell it later when you upgrade.

I can't imagine tackling such a project without Jerry Kuhnhausen's Shop Manual.   It's an incredible reference.

http://www.brownells.com/books-videos/books/gunsmithing-books/handgun-gunsmithing-books/jerry-kuhnhausen-the-colt-45-automatic-prod13805.aspx

If you want to piece together a 1911 that will be a labor (of love?) yourself and take the time (possibly years) to get it running right, you can go with a Fusion Firearms kit or start out with a Caspian frame and buy parts.

If you REALLY want to build a NICE 1911, save your small chunks of cash.  You can just as easily put it in a drawer as you can spend it on parts.  When you have a enough, build one with Jim Garthwaite in PA.

http://www.garthwaite.com/services/classes.php

Thanks for the head start guys. My grandpa was a machinist for a living and usually lets me have free run of his workshop when I have a project.  Seems like the first step will be to research tools and books/guides and scouring the 1911 forums.  Between all my friends guns and my mosin I have plenty of toys to play with.  This is more about taking on a long term project rather than wanting a well working gun immediately.  Thanks again for info i really appreciate it.

The point of undertaking the build of a 1911 is NOT the 1911 its self. Its a biproduct of the learning process. Your desire to learn the 1911 needs to be the goal. If you just want a quality 1911 build with a distributed spend, pick a smith, work out a parts list with him, and start aquiring said parts while your wait for a spot on his roster ticks down. Then hopefully you have everything by the time your turn is up, you can send it in and have him build it into a nice custom 1911.

I can't imagine tackling such a project without Jerry Kuhnhausen's Shop Manual.   It's an incredible reference.

http://www.brownells.com/books-videos/books/gunsmithing-books/handgun-gunsmithing-books/jerry-kuhnhausen-the-colt-45-automatic-prod13805.aspx

Found a free PDF copy online, thanks for pointing this book out.

Here's the link for anyone who's interested 

http://www.restigouchegunclub.com/Firearm%20user%20manuals/The_Colt_.45_Automatic_-_A_Shop_Manual_Vol.1_by_Kuhnhausen.pdf

I think I'll be going with a drop in trigger kit (Trying to be honest and realistic about my mechanical abilities and experience and I also understand that "drop in kits" don't necessarily apply to 1911s in the same sense that they do to other types of guns).  I think that will allow me to avoid having to buy any specialized tools, as my grandpas shop has punch sets, calipers, metal files, vices, drill press, etc.

I'm thinking of going with a series 80 build.  I guess this is more piecing together major parts/components than a from scratch build.

Been looking at the Caspian frames/slides and they seem to have good reviews.  Any other brands you guys would recommend?

Caspian makes a very nice product.  Foster Industries is the parent company to Caspian and they sometimes sell "blemmed" frames that don't make the Caspian cut for less money.  The defects are very difficult to find.  Fusion Firearms is another company and they sell kits with frame and slide fitted along with the barrel for reasonable money.  Barrel fitting will be the most difficult, IMHO.  Remsport makes a decent product as well and are very reasonable.  He makes frames for a bunch of larger companies so his availability can be spotty.  He sells overruns and doesn't have stuff just sitting around to sell.  If you can wait, his prices are good. 

Good luck.

C

I think I'll be going with a drop in trigger kit (Trying to be honest and realistic about my mechanical abilities and experience and I also understand that "drop in kits" don't necessarily apply to 1911s in the same sense that they do to other types of guns).  I think that will allow me to avoid having to buy any specialized tools, as my grandpas shop has punch sets, calipers, metal files, vices, drill press, etc.

If you aren't willing to tackle the trigger job because of the tools needed, then building a 1911 is not going to be for you.  The trigger job is the easiest part.  You will need specialized tools and fixtures to properly fit a barrel.  You can go with a Kart ez fit barrel, It can be good, but never great

Series 70 will be easier to build, there is no benefit to a series 80

I would recommend fosters for a frame, they are caspian blemishes that are barely noticable.  I would stay away from anything by Fusion or remsport especially if they are doing any fitting

If you aren't willing to tackle the trigger job because of the tools needed, then building a 1911 is not going to be for you.  The trigger job is the easiest part.  You will need specialized tools and fixtures to properly fit a barrel.  You can go with a Kart ez fit barrel, It can be good, but never great

Series 70 will be easier to build, there is no benefit to a series 80

I would recommend fosters for a frame, they are caspian blemishes that are barely noticable.  I would stay away from anything by Fusion or remsport especially if they are doing any fitting

Cosmetic blemishes won't be an issue as I plan on cerakoting, so I'll keep my eye on the foster website.  They are currently out of the slide and frame I want. And yes 70 series does seem to be the way to go after some research.  So much to learn, research to do, videos to watch, plenty to do before I even start thinking about thinking about buying anything

If you need a transfer, give me a call.  551-221-2276

Transfer fees and address? I'm in Jersey City a couple of time a month so Bayonne would be pretty convenient.

Also, do you provide any gunsmithing services to fix all my mistakes after this project reduces me to a weeping pathetic pile of defeat? haha

Wow, great price on the transfer.  I'll be putting in for my permits at the police station next tuesday, so hopefully I'll be ready to get a frame in the next month and a half or so. Gives me plenty of time to keep on reading and researching. Thanks again for all the help and advice everyone