Sign in to follow this  
bulpup

18 Strange Observations of America (from an Australian Living in the USA)

OK, the dude needs some common sense.

"17. They Have Loads of Dangerous Animals but Worry About Australia’s Snakes and Spiders"\

Grizzzly bears, mountain lions, etc can't hide in my shoe and kill me because I forgot to check before putting my foot in it. I can see the bear. I can choose not to knowingly provoke the bear. I don't have to worry about a 1cm square freshwater jellyfish that will leave me in agonizing pain in the hospital for a month if I am lucky and don't just die in the water. 

So... yeah.. 

I'll fully agree with #2 though

"2. They Build some of the Ugliest Towns in the Most Beautiful Locations"

"17. They Have Loads of Dangerous Animals but Worry About Australia’s Snakes and Spiders"\

Grizzzly bears, mountain lions, etc can't hide in my shoe and kill me because I forgot to check before putting my foot in it. I can see the bear. I can choose not to knowingly provoke the bear. I don't have to worry about a 1cm square freshwater jellyfish that will leave me in agonizing pain in the hospital for a month if I am lucky and don't just die in the water. 

So... yeah.. 

#2- That's how most people feel about towns in NJ

We dont have the fastest Internet connection in the world, that alone tells me something about this fellow.

It all depends where.

If you live in an area served by Paxio or Google fiber, you have the fastest in the world. Even Verizon FiOS is pretty good.

If you live out in BFE and have to use satellite or dialup, you are essentially in a third world country, internet wise.

Places like Singapore and Japan don't have people living out in large, spread out rural areas so they can wire up their entire country cost effectively.

So... yeah.. 

Yeah, at least you can see our dangerous animals coming. I'm fearful of anything that's going to kill me without me knowing about it. If I get attacked my a bear at least (hopefully) they can stitch me up and I can live to tell the tale. When some random snake bites you they have to figure out what it was and hope they give you the correct anti venom.

I was just reading about a  poisonous snake over in Australia that when it bites a person doesn't usually even feel it. No thanks, I'll stick to large wild animals.

i have to disagree with #15  -  people are super friendly and polite???? wha?

maybe thats a thing on the northern west coast... i've been around a good bit of the country and people ARE nicer in places like wyoming/montana/minisota - and then, you have lots of dicks in NJ/delaware/PA

i bet if this guy had moved to jersey his take would be different LOL good read though.

maybe thats a thing on the northern west coast... i've been around a good bit of the country and people ARE nicer in places like wyoming/montana/minisota - and then, you have lots of dicks in NJ/delaware/PA

i bet if this guy had moved to jersey his take would be different LOL good read though.

I don't know about the polite part, but I agree with him that we're unusual in our willingness to greet and talk to strangers. I've traveled a lot in Asia, and there's everyone's in their own no-eye contact zone. Here, if something funny happens on a bus or subway, there will be an instant sense of comraderie as people joke about it or comment on it.

Outside of the NYC Metro Area, people are actually generally nice.

Yup, location dependant. Go to Manhatten and see how "polite" people can be lol

I am not surprised by his view on guns. Imagine you are raised in a place where they are effectively outlawed. You barely encounter them. Only the police or criminals have them. So you are shocked when regular people are allowed the right to adequate self-defense.