Sign in to follow this  
JoeTK37

.22 Target or "Tactical"

So I've decided to make my 3rd pistol a .22 so range trips can be a bit longer and less expensive.  But I'm torn, I currently have a PPQ 9mm which I love, and a brand new SR1911 that I fired 16rds through this morning(seems cool, just didn't have access to any more ammo on the way to the range today).  

Not sure if I should go with a "tactical" .22 for lack of a better term, like a P22Q to mimic the controls and feel of the PPQ while giving up a bit of accuracy.

Or if I should go with something more like a MK3 or 22/45, a bit more target oriented.  

All I do is go to the range and punch paper.  Thinking about joining Cherry Ridge, but haven't gotten that far yet.

Any thoughts as to the pros and cons of each type of set up would be great.  Joe

The Target models will usually have longer barrels, which in turn will be more accurate due to the distance between the sights. 

I was torn just like you were and I got the Walther P22. It's small but for some odd reason felt really nice in my hands (and my gf really liked it as well). I knew I wouldn't be shooting it that much but I wanted a .22 pistol. For me, it was between the P22 and one of the Buckmark models. It had a 6'' barrel and seemed nice and I knew a lot of people were happy with Buckmarks. Quite frankly, everyone seems to be happy with most .22 pistols (especially the MKIII and Buckmark...they're probably the top 2 best selling .22 pistols). That was a couple years ago, and now everyone is on the tactical bandwagon so I wouldn't be surprised if all the Ruger SR22, M&P22, my P22, etc, are better sellers...who knows.

My p22 is fine for range fun and plinking, but honestly .22 doesn't really do it for me much anymore. It gets boring and repetitive really fast and I probably would have sold my P22 if it wasn't for the fact that my gf loves it and I have to say, it's a great little pistol to teach new shooters how to shoot. Once you start shooting bigger calibers, at least in my experience, they are much more fun than .22.

After that book I just wrote, I would try out a little brother .22 pistol (to their big brothers, M&P, SR, etc) and a long barreled Buckmark or Ruger or Neos and you should be able to see which type you like more. Then you can go from there. 

Edit: Just to make an addition as I reread your original post, I may be the minority but I would never get the same pistol but in .22. That's why I didn't get the 75b kadet kit. I'd rather have a completely different pistol to change it up versus shooting the same pistol. But as I said, that's just my preference. I know a lot of people who feel differently.

Or if I should go with something more like a MK3 or 22/45, a bit more target oriented.  

Target.  To paraphrase the late gunwriter Jack O'Connor, only accurate handguns are interesting.

Everybody needs at least one tack driver in the safe...you'll learn more about shooting, you'll improve faster, and you may find you like competitive shooting! 

Target.  To paraphrase the late gunwriter Jack O'Connor, only accurate handguns are interesting.

Everybody needs at least one tack driver in the safe...you'll learn more about shooting, you'll improve faster, and you may find you like competitive shooting! 

I totally agree, I end up shooting my MK III at least as much as their vault-mates in 9mm or .45ACP. It makes me focus on my skills, breathing, follow-through, etc.  There is something about the feedback of hitting little holes at 30' or 50' in an indoor range in a hopefully very tight group that you just can't get with the big guys even on a good day. After shooting my .22, the 9mm seems to shoot better too :-)

A blowback SR22 or other tactical .22 is not likely to be nearly as accurate and in my limited shooting do not replicate the feel of the full-size gun enough to count as exact practice.

As an aside, I find my MK III to be a very good intro gun for newbies I take to the range. They find it cool (all stainless and classic Luger lines), beautiful and very easy to shoot and not intimidating. Once they master the basics there, I can let them shoot a bigger boom if they desire and show sufficient comfort level.

BTW, a MK III or 22/45 are good practice guns for 1911 at one leve since they are very short/light triggers similar to the 1911 and weigh about as much as a full size 1911 unless you buy the 22/46 Lite.

I don't own a Buckmark, but most of what I said should apply.

I have to pretty much agree with Recessed Filter. A target model is useful for working on and developing the principles of shooting.

A tactical 22 just doesn't have the same feel as the larger calibers. Don't get me wrong they are fun to shoot.

I would say get both of them as they each have their own character.

What is the real difference between a Mk3 and a 22/45.  I understand the 22/45 has the same grip angle as a 1911, along with the same controls for slide and mag release. Does the Mk3 have the same controls but with a different grip angle?  Any benefits or disadvantages to either model?

Thanks so much for your help guys(and gals).

What is the real difference between a Mk3 and a 22/45.  I understand the 22/45 has the same grip angle as a 1911, along with the same controls for slide and mag release. Does the Mk3 have the same controls but with a different grip angle?  Any benefits or disadvantages to either model?

Thanks so much for your help guys(and gals).

It is mostly the grip, and a slightly different bolt release.  each model of the MK II or 22/45 comes with different sights. you probably want to focus on the sight style as much as anything as that is the real different. I have a MK III Hunter (discontinued, with classic rosewood grips) with the High Viz optical front sight. I would probably go with the target sights like on the Target or Competition models.

I have a Mk III and a Sig 1911-22, and they each have different appeals. Both are a lot of fun to shoot, the sig being great for plinking around, but I definitely feel the target gun to be far more gratifying with a far more solid grouping. My opinion is to have one of each, but if I had to choose, it would be the Ruger. 

It is mostly the grip, and a slightly different bolt release.  each model of the MK II or 22/45 comes with different sights. you probably want to focus on the sight style as much as anything as that is the real different. I have a MK III Hunter (discontinued, with classic rosewood grips) with the High Viz optical front sight. I would probably go with the target sights like on the Target or Competition models.

The grip is a big difference, so comfort should be a priority, but more important to me is that the 22/45 always has a composite lower. If you want all stainless, which is a much nicer gun in my opinion, then the 22/45 isn't an option. Personally, it feels like a much cheaper gun both just holding it and shooting it. I also didn't like the bolt release, which functions differently than the standard Mk models.

I have a few of both "tactical" and target .22s. The target ones see a lot more range time. As others have said it's just a lot more fun shooting an accurate gun. It's probably been years since I took my P22 to the range. I recently picked up a 22/45 and like it so far. They're also fun because of how easy they are to customize. I already put in a new hammer bushing to remove the mag disconnect and a VQ trigger and sear (required upgrades IMO). I also have new sights on the way.

The P22's also not a very close substitute for the PPQ if you're trying to get cheaper practice on a similar platform. The grip and trigger are completely different.

The only difference between the MKIII and the 22/45 is the grip angle and material, metal vs. polymer. The upper half is the same. I prefer the 22/45, but it's just personal preference.