mge_1

Muzzle brake for non-threaded barrel (in my case: M&P15 Sport)

Recently picked up my new M&P15 Sport. The end of the barrel is not threaded. Does anyone know of a pin-on or set screw muzzle brake that I can attach?  My first ever AR, and trying to get some good info in here.

If the pin-on or set screw is not recommended, anyone know a local gun smith in the Central/South NJ area that will thread the barrel?  Any info would be much appreciated.  Thank you.

Probably would be cheaper to pay a smith to replace the barrel. Odds are he would just send it out to have it threaded anyway. And the labor for removing and threading a barrel would be identical to him just replacing a barrel you bring to him.

As for a bolt on muzzle device... idk..

You can attempt to thread it yourself if you feel adventurous.  I threaded my Saiga barrel but it was an adventure.  Total cost for me to thread was $64.  It may cost a bit more as you would most likely want the sizing tool.  With the sizing tool, it would cost about 120.  You have to be really comfortable with doing this stuff yourself.

It is probably easier to get a gunsmith to do it.  I think it was over 200 to have a gunsmith thread it.  I could not find a gunsmith near me to do it, nor did I want to drop 200 on my Saiga (almost half of what I paid for it when I purchased it new).

New barrel would probably run you almost 300 (barrel & gas block) without labor.  You would still need to add the cost of the brake whichever solution you choose.

Another option is to buy another upper.  Get the brake pinned on the new upper and sell your old one to offset some of the costs. 

You can attempt to thread it yourself if you feel adventurous. I threaded my Saiga barrel but it was an adventure. Total cost for me to thread was $64. It may cost a bit more as you would most likely want the sizing tool. With the sizing tool, it would cost about 120. You have to be really comfortable with doing this stuff yourself.

It is probably easier to get a gunsmith to do it. I think it was over 200 to have a gunsmith thread it. I could not find a gunsmith near me to do it, nor did I want to drop 200 on my Saiga (almost half of what I paid for it when I purchased it new).

New barrel would probably run you almost 300 (barrel & gas block) without labor. You would still need to add the cost of the brake whichever solution you choose.

Another option is to buy another upper. Get the brake pinned on the new upper and sell your old one to offset some of the costs.

Gas block and tube can be re used on replacement barrel. They can be found from 120-300 dollars. If its gunna be 200+ just to have it threaded.. its not bad.. but if a gun smith has to pull a barrel to have it threaded then re install it may be cheaper to replace. Call and price around...

You can buy a non-thread adapter for $30. I saw them at midway. I believe there are two different style adapters. One that fits on tight and one with hex like screws to tighten to the barrel.

I would imagine a gunsmith can pin a compensator to the adapter and then the adapter to the barrel. A little more cumbersome, but might be cheaper than threading your barrel.

If you go this route, let me know how it works out. I was thinking of doing the same to an mp15-22

Just curious why you want to put a brake on ? For the prices on that website to buy a bolt on brake, you could have initially spent almost the same amount and got something with a threaded barrel, forward assist, and a dust cover.

You can buy a non-thread adapter for $30. I saw them at midway. I believe there are two different style adapters. One that fits on tight and one with hex like screws to tighten to the barrel.

I would imagine a gunsmith can pin a compensator to the adapter and then the adapter to the barrel. A little more cumbersome, but might be cheaper than threading your barrel.

If you go this route, let me know how it works out. I was thinking of doing the same to an mp15-22

Cool will check it out thanks.

Why even put a brake on it? I have the ORC model, also without threads. It's a nice solid barrel, an accurate shooter, pleasant to shoot, doesn't bother the people around you yet has a nice loud impressive bang, and is very easy to clean. Why neuter it to crappy NJ standards?

I was thinking the same. But after talking to a few gunsmiths in the area. The costs of threading and parts we are talking $200-$300 investment for this little thing at the end of the barrel. Might hold off for now. We will see.

Ok something happened between the last few hours lol...

Ended up buying this one from ULTIMATEARMS

Competition Muzzle Brake Compensator .223 5.56 Rifle 1/2x28 Thread+ Crush Washer

Found a local gunsmith to do the threading and installation of the muzzle.

post-6353-0-71370800-1369959362_thumb.jpg

Recently picked up my new M&P15 Sport. The end of the barrel is not threaded. Does anyone know of a pin-on or set screw muzzle brake that I can attach? My first ever AR, and trying to get some good info in here.

If the pin-on or set screw is not recommended, anyone know a local gun smith in the Central/South NJ area that will thread the barrel? Any info would be much appreciated. Thank you.

Mastadon in Nj and Adco out west both do great work with threads.

Ok something happened between the last few hours lol...

Ended up buying this one from ULTIMATEARMS

Competition Muzzle Brake Compensator .223 5.56 Rifle 1/2x28 Thread+ Crush Washer

Found a local gunsmith to do the threading and installation of the muzzle.

How much did the gunsmith charge for the installation?

Originally quoted me around $150-$160 for barrel threading and brake installation. But with some miscommunication on the timing to get it done, owner took care of me. "On the house" he says, which I really appreciated.