MeanderingCuban

Action Alert: Church to Host Conversation on Gun Violence

Yeah, that'll go well. 

I have no idea what makes this guy an expert on gun violence.  It's just another ploy from the left to use emotions to dictate laws rather than fact.  It's a horrible thing that the guy lost his kid.  A true tragedy.  But I abhor the politicizing of the loss for an agenda.  It certainly doesn't help that I don't agree with the agenda.  If anyone goes, I would love to hear about it.  

C

If nothing else, people from the community need to attend these events and just shove a camera in their face. You can't use anything against them if you don't record them. You change the game once you have people on record. Right now all we have are a bunch of tall tales of things that were said. Look at the difference the "confiscate" video made for the conversation and national media attention.

People should go to these meetings and have a camera trained on EACH person speaking on the panel 100% percent of the time. Watch their behavior change, or better yet, you will record something golden

ask if they know the definition of "separation of church and state" when dealing with political issues..

If it goes anything like the meeting at the Westfield temple, it will be all religion, no politics. Politics involves at least the pretense of logic and persuasion.

Weinberg ended up not showing up due to being "held up in Manhattan at an event with Michelle Obama".

In her place Assemblyman Gordon Johnson spoke.

On the panel was a journalist whose name I did not get, Assem. Johnson, The chief of police for Englewood, and the father who lost his son.

The tenor of the meeting was interesting. Here are a few key points:

-the father of the slain son indeed suffered a tragedy. I sympathize with his situation. To be honest though, he spent a lot of the time talking about how he has gotten on MSNBC, chats with Trayvon Martin's parents all the time, will be on the cover of JET magazine, and will be featured in Rolling Stone. Anyone who says what I am saying is immediately labeled a jerk for saying this about the parent of a slain child, but the guy seemed to be on a tour of self promotion capitalizing on a terrible tragedy. He also said many blatant lies about Florida - someone in the crowd asked "how hard is it to get a carry permit in Florida?" he responded "it's scary, it's as easy as getting a driver's license, they don't even really check your history (lie), there's absolutely no sort of training required (another lie), basically anyone can just go up and apply for one and they get it." naturally, the crowd scowled in shock

Now, who is going to correct the guy who is there because his son was shot by some psycho?

-The people at the meeting themselves said some unbelievably illogical things. Many of them did not get the nuance that Assembleyman Johnson is not a federal representative, and said things like "when you go back to DC, can you please tell your fellow congressmen and obama x y and z?" You basically had a misinformed speaker who suffered a terrible tragedy, speaking to another group of misinformed people. Nonetheless, it was priceless watching Assem. Johnson's facial expression as he reacted to every stupid comment. He very intelligently said absolutely nothing when someone asserted a stupid comment, and just followed with an "ok" or "thank you".

-Chief of police was all business, made innocuous, correct declarative statements. He did touch on the buyback program that Englewood conducted and confessed it was unsuccessful because no one turns in "hot" guns, instead, people just take advantage of the free money and turn in guns that were willed or gifted to them that they have no use for.

-Assembleyman Johnson is a strange one. He has been on panels with Weinberg before at the Ethical Society. He is pushing for a lot of these measures, but he admittedly stated he is not as "liberal as Loretta Weinberg". He confessed that it is important to mind the rights of the law abiders and that no amount of laws will stop illegal crimes from happening. Given these commendable statements, he still supports many of these measures and touched upon how sloppily the assembly handled their hearings, and said the senate ran it in a much more respectable way by meeting with the pro 2a groups.

I think the most fascinating takeaway of the night was a question posed by the moderator about Weinberg making the "confiscate confiscate confiscate" comment, which on record she has said she didn't say that quote and she doesn't know who said it. Assemblyman Johnson asserted it was absolutely Loretta Weinberg who made that comment, and now he is on record contradicting what Weinberg told the press. This is probably the best comment of the night. Admittedly, Johnson appears to be a measured, reasonable guy who believes in his party's ideology; it's more the abstract implication of his comment about Weinberg that if anything is of importance.

There were tons of other insipid comments but again, of no consequence to legislation or the politicians. It remains to be known whether the blatant talk of legislation and advocating for legislation is an issue for the church's tax status. Multiple people were recording the event. I encourage everyone to go to ALL events like this and if nothing else, simply record. Putting everyone on record is the only way to advance the discussion. If it isn't recorded, it didn't happen

Weinberg ended up not showing up due to being "held up in Manhattan at an event with Michelle Obama".

On the panel was a journalist whose name I did not get, Assem. Johnson, The chief of police for Englewood, and the father who lost his son.

-the father of the slain son indeed suffered a tragedy. I sympathize with his situation. To be honest though, he spent a lot of the time talking about how he has gotten on MSNBC, chats with Trayvon Martin's parents all the time, will be on the cover of JET magazine, and will be featured in Rolling Stone. Anyone who says what I am saying is immediately labeled a jerk for saying this about the parent of a slain child, but the guy seemed to be on a tour of self promotion capitalizing on a terrible tragedy. He also said many blatant lies about Florida - someone in the crowd asked "how hard is it to get a carry permit in Florida?" he responded "it's scary, it's as easy as getting a driver's license, they don't even really check your history (lie), there's absolutely no sort of training required (another lie), basically anyone can just go up and apply for one and they get it." naturally, the crowd scowled in shock

Now, who is going to correct the guy who is there because his son was shot by some psycho?

-The people at the meeting themselves said some unbelievably illogical things. Many of them did not get the nuance that Assembleyman Johnson is not a federal representative, and said things like "when you go back to DC, can you please tell your fellow congressmen and obama x y and z?" You basically had a misinformed speaker who suffered a terrible tragedy, speaking to another group of misinformed people. Nonetheless, it was priceless watching Assem. Johnson's facial expression as he reacted to every stupid comment. He very intelligently said absolutely nothing when someone asserted a stupid comment, and just followed with an "ok" or "thank you".

-Chief of police was all business, made innocuous, correct declarative statements. He did touch on the buyback program that Englewood conducted and confessed it was unsuccessful because no one turns in "hot" guns, instead, people just take advantage of the free money and turn in guns that were willed or gifted to them that they have no use for.

-Assembleyman Johnson is a strange one. He has been on panels with Weinberg before at the Ethical Society. He is pushing for a lot of these measures, but he admittedly stated he is not as "liberal as Loretta Weinberg". He confessed that it is important to mind the rights of the law abiders and that no amount of laws will stop illegal crimes from happening. Given these commendable statements, he still supports many of these measures and touched upon how sloppily the assembly handled their hearings, and said the senate ran it in a much more respectable way by meeting with the pro 2a groups.

I think the most fascinating takeaway of the night was a question posed by the moderator about Weinberg making the "confiscate confiscate confiscate" comment, which on record she has said she didn't say that quote and she doesn't know who said it. Assemblyman Johnson asserted it was absolutely Loretta Weinberg who made that comment, and now he is on record contradicting what Weinberg told the press. This is probably the best comment of the night. Admittedly, Johnson appears to be a measured, reasonable guy who believes in his party's ideology; it's more the abstract implication of his comment about Weinberg that if anything is of importance.

There were tons of other insipid comments but again, of no consequence to legislation or the politicians. It remains to be known whether the blatant talk of legislation and advocating for legislation is an issue for the church's tax status. Multiple people were recording the event. I encourage everyone to go to ALL events like this and if nothing else, simply record. Putting everyone on record is the only way to advance the discussion. If it isn't recorded, it didn't happen

thats an awesome moment right there. So how come he hasnt come out earlier to refute that? Nevermind, I know, no one asked him. Anyway its out there so lets see if it runs as well as the actuall recording. Any real media there to give that statement the spotlight?

thats an awesome moment right there. So how come he hasnt come out earlier to refute that? Nevermind, I know, no one asked him. Anyway its out there so lets see if it runs as well as the actuall recording. Any real media there to give that statement the spotlight?

I'm curious how he knows it was her. As an Assemblyman, I assume he wasn't at the hearing. Maybe he just recognized her voice.

I put together a fact sheet on gun laws, which the Westfield organizers wouldn't let me put on the table. It might be a good idea to bring something like that to all these events to refute some of the lies and to educate people on the actual facts.

Here it is if anyone wants to copy parts or all of it and perhaps add to it to go beyond just the FID process.

The Process Required to Obtain a Firearm in New Jersey

Some people have expressed concern that it is “too easy” to get a gun in NJ. Here is what is required:

1.    Submit application to police department

2.    Obtain fingerprints for background check

3.    Solicit two character references*

4.    Obtain proof of employment

5.    Await character reference review, background check results and police department approval. (Statutory requirement: 30 days. Actual time often 6-9 months, at the discretion of police chief)

6.    Repeat entire process above, minus fingerprinting, for permit to purchase pistol. This permit expires in 90 days. Another purchase after 90 days requires the entire process to be repeated again

7.    Present firearm ID and matching photo ID at store. Fill out paperwork for point of sale background checks. Two separate background checks are run: one at the state level and one at the federal level**

8.    Wait for results of “instant” background check: currently running about 2 weeks

9.    Return to store to pick up firearm

Notes:

·         A total of 3-4 independent background checks are performed before a firearm can be purchased.

·         If the firearm ID holder is convicted of a crime or committed to a mental institution, the firearm ID is revoked, and the individual will fail any further point of sale background checks, thus blocking any future sales

·         Newark mayor Corey Booker recently stated that, after reviewing the history of firearm crimes in Newark, he could identify only one committed by someone who had undergone the above process 

*Some police departments illegally impose extra arbitrary requirements. These include notarization of character reference letters, extra character reference letters, and limits on number of handgun permits allowed

** Until recently, the point of sale background check was “instant,” being performed within 15 minutes of a telephone call. Recently, NJ has moved to a new system which imposes an arbitrary delay. These delays have been running 2-3 weeks, requiring two separate visits to the seller.

Nice work.