stevenschaffer

BCM vs Daniel Defense

They are both great quality companies. All parts will be mil spec and they will both hold good resale value.

I would personally say BCM will be easier to spec out exactly what you want while still having a factory build if you have specific needs. They work with several other top notch companies and offer builds with various rails and options straight from the factory.

All that being said I would go with a DD V5LW if I were buying another ar. It has what I am looking for and is on my list to buy when things get back to normal.

Can't go wrong with either. Just get whichever rifle meets your configuration needs. Both are outstanding choices!

That said, I went with DD. What steered me to that is the beveled and flared mag well. I believe the BCM receivers use standard GI spec mag wells.

Thanks, I've been looking at the V5 but I'm unsure about the light weight barrel.. reviews says... 

The primary disadvantages of lw
1) it heats up quicker, so you lose accuracy after fewer shots (compared to a heavier barrel)
2) it will "whip" more than a heavier barrel, so bullet groups tend to widen slightly
3) it's structurally weaker than the same barrel in a heavier contour (only a factor if you actually go to combat with your rifle).

Thanks, I've been looking at the V5 but I'm unsure about the light weight barrel.. reviews says... 

The primary disadvantages of lw

1) it heats up quicker, so you lose accuracy after fewer shots (compared to a heavier barrel)

2) it will "whip" more than a heavier barrel, so bullet groups tend to widen slightly

3) it's structurally weaker than the same barrel in a heavier contour (only a factor if you actually go to combat with your rifle)

I have a lightweight upper from a Bravo EAG HS upper.  The decline of accuracy has been minimal and I highly doubt I'll do anything where I have to worry about its structural integrity.  The benefit of a significantly lighter rifle and no extra recoil (it had a middy gas system and I put a spikes tungsten buffer) wins for me.  

Both companies are extremely reliable, I just found exactly what I wanted with the BCM at a great price.  

If it matters to you, the BCM finish is more like a Colt. All business, a little rough looking. It often has more play between the upper and lower, also like the Colt. None of these things impair function though. The Daniel Defense is a lot nicer finish, and at least on mine, the upper/lower play is negligible.

Can't make a wrong choice with either... I have a BCM with 14.5 Lw BFH. I don't think it loses much accuracy after a few mags. But in also not blasting away to cook meat on the thing either.

Only plus side to DD they make most parts in house.

The beauty of the AR platform is you can shoot the LW barrel until it's shot out, then swap for a Medium contour or bull barrel in just a few minutes time!! So if you find you don't like the LW barrel, swap it out!! Or for that matter any part!! It's the fun of owning an AR platform.

Can't make a wrong choice with either... I have a BCM with 14.5 Lw BFH. I don't think it loses much accuracy after a few mags. But in also not blasting away to cook meat on the thing either.Only plus side to DD they make most parts in house.

Also I was curious as to what rail system you have on it? I was looking into the centurion arms middy cut out

Thanks... I considered the cutout style handguards for a bit. But decided against it because I wanted a more forward hand grip then the stand fsb allowed on a 14.5".

Also I never mentioned. My rifle is a mid length gas system.

If You're Building One, Go With BCM. If You're Looking To Buy A Factory Rifle, Go With The Daniels Defense.

Reasoning behind this?  Each are top notch.  I see no reason that it would make a difference whether ordering a factory rifle or not. 

Reasoning behind this?  Each are top notch.  I see no reason that it would make a difference whether ordering a factory rifle or not.

Because BCM doesnt Manufacture All Of Their Own Parts. I Just Feel You Will Get Better Fit Finish And Reliability With The DD. BCM is More Known For Their Uppers.

Because BCM doesnt Manufacture All Of Their Own Parts. I Just Feel You Will Get Better Fit Finish And Reliability With The DD. BCM is More Known For Their Uppers.

Fit and finish between my BCM upper and lower are perfect.

Yes BCM doesn't mfg there parts but they hold there stuff to a very high standard and will refuse any out of spec crap at the door.

From a reliability standpoint, the two brands are neck and neck.  You're right that BCM is a builder while Daniel Defense is a manufacturer and they cut their own chips as they do make some of their own parts.  However, I wouldn't consider that as a knock against BCM as they source top quality parts and actually know how to properly build a rifle.  There are more than a handful of BCM uppers and rifles in duty use just as there are DDs.  You won't go wrong either way.  I've seen and handled products from both brands and I recommend them in the same sentence quite frequently.

From a reliability standpoint, the two brands are neck and neck.  You're right that BCM is a builder while Daniel Defense is a manufacturer and they cut their own chips as they do make some of their own parts.  However, I wouldn't consider that as a knock against BCM as they source top quality parts and actually know how to properly build a rifle.  There are more than a handful of BCM uppers and rifles in duty use just as there are DDs.  You won't go wrong either way.  I've seen and handled products from both brands and I recommend them in the same sentence quite frequently.

Fit and finish between my BCM upper and lower are perfect.

Yes BCM doesn't mfg there parts but they hold there stuff to a very high standard and will refuse any out of spec crap at the door.

I'm not saying BCM is bad in any way at all. I know their stuff is great. and I'm in the process of putting together a rifle with a BCM complete upper with BCG. I'm just saying if the guy is looking for a factory rifle, why not buy a complete factory rifle. One where the factory makes ever single part in the gun? DD makes every single part that goes in their guns in house. Which is why, if I was looking for a factory rifle, i would go with them. I have nothing against either one. I just feel they are both very good at different things. DD at manufacturing and BCM at building.

So back to my original suggestion. If building, go with the build masters at BCM. If buying a complete rifle, go with the top factory guys at DD.

I'm not saying BCM is bad in any way at all. I know their stuff is great. and I'm in the process of putting together a rifle with a BCM complete upper with BCG. I'm just saying if the guy is looking for a factory rifle, why not buy a complete factory rifle. One where the factory makes ever single part in the gun? DD makes every single part that goes in their guns in house. Which is why, if I was looking for a factory rifle, i would go with them. I have nothing against either one. I just feel they are both very good at different things. DD at manufacturing and BCM at building.

So back to my original suggestion. If building, go with the build masters at BCM. If buying a complete rifle, go with the top factory guys at DD.

Still have not heard this line of thinking anywhere.  They are both identical in quality.  Get whatever you can find in stock that suits your needs.