stevenschaffer

BCM vs Daniel Defense

I'm not saying BCM is bad in any way at all. I know their stuff is great. and I'm in the process of putting together a rifle with a BCM complete upper with BCG. I'm just saying if the guy is looking for a factory rifle, why not buy a complete factory rifle. One where the factory makes ever single part in the gun? DD makes every single part that goes in their guns in house. Which is why, if I was looking for a factory rifle, i would go with them. I have nothing against either one. I just feel they are both very good at different things. DD at manufacturing and BCM at building.

So back to my original suggestion. If building, go with the build masters at BCM. If buying a complete rifle, go with the top factory guys at DD.

No sir, DD does not make every part that goes into their rifles in-house.

Fit and finish between my BCM upper and lower are perfect.

Yes BCM doesn't mfg there parts but they hold there stuff to a very high standard and will refuse any out of spec crap at the door.

I am not trying to start a shitstorm, because I have shot and like all three, and owned two, but...

If you examine the Colt and BCM you see they are similar in that they have a very plain dull phosphate finish and that there is usually some play between the upper and lower. I have used Accuwedges in every Colt I owned. I have less experience with BCM, but they have the same feel to me. I would still take them over a Rock River Arms (whick is always tight) any day. The Daniel Defense has a shinier treatment that looks nicer than the Colt and BCM. We will see how it holds up though as I plan to shoot the hell out of it. If you want to see the nicest finish on an AR, check out anything from LaRue. They are works of art.

Last I checked, you can't buy a DD receiver alone. So if you want to build your own, BCM it is for the lower.

Correct, DD no longer sells their lowers by themselves.  There are some nice options for lowers out there though (KAC and Noveske come to mind).

It's too bad cause DD makes a VERY nice lower. I may have picked up one of the last DD lower kits over a year ago. The thing I like best about it is the beveled and flared mag well. It was a huge selling point for me, as I'm a big fan of this feature.

So much so, that the Noveske Gen2 lowers have my attention now. Those are REALLY flared.