Tactical Turtle

Why Do You Have Guns?

Cause I'm from 'Merica!

But really it's 2 fold.

1. Home protection

2. Shooting is a fun hobby. I love to go to range and just have some fun. No different than playing horseshoes, working on a car project or going to the movies. So may of my friends look at me different cause of my gun owner ship, but to me it's no different than any other hobby.

Cause I'm from 'Merica!

But really it's 2 fold.

1. Home protection

2. Shooting is a fun hobby. I love to go to range and just have some fun. No different than playing horseshoes, working on a car project or going to the movies. So may of my friends look at me different cause of my gun owner ship, but to me it's no different than any other hobby.

^ THIS !!!!

I've been shooting since I was 7-8 years old. I had my own pump BB gun at 9-10 and semi-auto .22 at 14. My father had a Colt AR15 SP1 back in the '80s we used to shoot all the time. As an adult I purchased my first handgun after getting married and buying a home at the age of 26. That was in 1995. The day I learned the Colt Match Target was legal in NJ (1996) I drove out to PA and bought one. From that point on I was just hooked on trying to improve upon my skills. I also have a very deep appreciation for the engineering of various guns. To me it is amazing what goes into making something that can withstand such extremes yet be so reliable. To sum it up, hobby, self/home defense and engineering appreciation.

I'm an avid competitor in several shooting sports, and found I just wasn't competitive when I was throwing bullets downrange.   I had to upgrade to firearms just to level the playing field.

A few are family heirlooms.

One or two I bought just because some government functionary said I shouldn't have that kind.  If I really distrust the judgement of a government functionary, when they say I must do something, I find it a compelling reason to do the opposite.   Some have distinguished themselves by being so consistently wrong, that choosing the opposite course of action is usually a pretty good bet.

I don't even like guns

BAN!

Cause I'm from 'Merica!

But really it's 2 fold.

1. Home protection

This! and I consider firearms a great asset.

I have guns for reasons similar to why I run.

I started running for health reasons and to keep in shape.  I found that I enjoyed it for its own sake, and am still at it 34 years later.

I bought a gun for home defense.  Once I started using it, I realized that shooting is great fun.  So while it's extremely unlikely that I'll ever need to shoot anyone to defend myself, I'm finding tremendous enjoyment in putting rounds downrange and all that goes with it.  I think part of it is that I'm intrigued by this whole subset of knowledge and information of which I was totally unaware for nearly the first 60 years of my life.

Well....I started because of home defense first and a really cool hobby second....until i heard about the coming Eskimo invasion!!!!  Holy Crap were screwed!!!   Arm yourselves Americans!! THE ESKIMOS ARE COMING!!!!!!!!!!!   :D

I've got about 35 guns, of which about 30 are "military surplus" "relic" or "antiques". I have them as a tangible piece of the Civil War, WWII, the Cold War, etc.. I do shoot them, but not often. However I'm a borderline "prepper" so I do keep a copious amount of ammo on hand. When I move out of NJ I'll most likely get a C/R license.

The other 5 or 6 guns are for hunting and self defense. Two shotguns that can be used for either, two multi purpose 22 rifles and my Smith and Wesson M&P .40 exists expressly for self defense.