Blake

Poll - Accuracy question

60 members have voted

1. 1. Can you hit a 3" target consistently @ 30yds?

• Yes
    • No

I recently purchased 2 steel targets from a deal posted in our hot deals section from Woot.  One of the targets is a 3" steel spinner target.  This is the model:

http://www.gandermountain.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?pdesc=All-Traps-SC38-Spin-Cycle-Target-38-44-caliber&i=444128&r=view&from=grid

For $35 it was a hell of a deal.  

In the packaging it says safe for pistol calibers at 30yds.

Here is my question:

Are you a good enough shot with a pistol that you could consistently hit a 3" target at 30yds?

I am asking because I am not that good of a shot, and I am wondering if it is just me sucking or if the majority of you would also not be able to consistently hit the target.  I will say that I would be able to hit it about 1 out of every 4 shots with most of my collection and 1 out of every 3 times with my 1911.  

Please answer the poll if you feel comfortable doing so.  

My accuracy has been getting better with almost every range trip, but I am pretty far off from accomplishing this task.   

Pistol I never tried more than 25 yards, consistently with iron sites, I don't think I can do 10 out of 10 but if I can hit 50% I would be really happy.

Blake it just takes practice and steady hands. Dude, last week I was at the range with DamjanBlues and he can vouche for this. An older gentlemen over 55 yrs old is my guess with a 50 cal muzzle loader pistol hit a 4 inch paper target consistently, I mean he put about 10 out of 11 on paper. Then he showed us that he was actually a champion for 3 consecutive years at old bridge club with muzzle loader pistols. I was simply amazed how good he was.

With a pistol large enough to get a solid grip and at least a 6" barrel I can shoot 6" groups at 30 yards fairly consistantly.  If a 3" circle is 7sq-in and a 6" circle is 28 sq-in, it seems that my 6" groups would make me miss a 3" circle 3 out of 4 shots.

Wow, I felt pretty good about my shooting until now.

I voted no and do not even try. My range is only 25 yards. :) In any event I practice defensive shooting and I would like to see someone do a 3" group with 5 rounds in 3 seconds. That would impress me. All I ever see is very slow fire at those distances unless it is a steel match and you have more real estate to hit.

I gave myself a yes but that's conditional on what handgun and ammo I'm using I'm using.  My 617, 357 Blackhawk, and even an old S&W Model 10 and some others I can do it with consistency.  Most service autos don't shoot that tight a group.

With a rifle yeah....with a pistol not unless luck was on my side.

You guys really want to feel bad about yourselves? I'll see your 30yd. target and raise you 200yds. more.

To me, it doesn't sound like much fun trying to hit a 3" circle at 30 yards.  I would find an 8-12" plate at 25 yards or so to be more appealing.

As much as there is something pleasing in shooting steel, one of the problems I have found is that I can't tell where I'm missing.  At least with paper, I can take a look and see if I'm high or low, left or right.  With steel, unless there's a dusty berm behind it, I have no idea how to adjust to get on target.

An older gentlemen over 55 yrs old is my guess with a 50 cal muzzle loader pistol hit a 4 inch paper target consistently, I mean he put about 10 out of 11 on paper. Then he showed us that he was actually a champion for 3 consecutive years at old bridge club with muzzle loader pistols. I was simply amazed how good he was.

Rosey, were you at EFGA??? We'll let the "older gentleman" slide for now.