vladtepes

just a little clarification...

This forum is free too.  You don't have to pay to use the forum.   Secondly, other forums just ban people who whine with no warnings or excuses.  I have a very very very long leash. 

Long leash you say? You gave me a warning for calling someone a moron, after he insulted me, and you didn't warn him. Then you also told me, "Next time, it's a ban". I wouldn't call that a long leash....

This forum is free too.  You don't have to pay to use the forum.   Secondly, other forums just ban people who whine with no warnings or excuses.  I have a very very very long leash. 

A forum can either be paid by advertising, vendors, or yourself.  On calguns you have 19 banners, albeit small that someone pays for you to browse.  On top, Calguns does not pay for its technology fees and it is donated to them.  

Here, you have a choice.  You do not have to paid a penny to participate on the forum.   Not one.  You have one banner ad that shows up 25% of the time.  You can also get rid of that, and get a few more perks for $3 a month.  In return, you have a great user experience.  Furthermore, our vendors have to pay a fraction of what they would on any other forum.... a small fraction of what I have seen others charge.  Unfortunately, this is not 4 years ago, and the costs to keep the site up are massively larger, however not once in the past 4 years did anyone pay more, or have features taken away.  In fact, we have been adding more and more as time goes on.  Having new members join, gives me the ability to do so.  If it was not, I would not be able to afford to keep the forum up... and once again, that does not include any of the time any of the mods or myself spend here on the forum.

At no point, the people who constantly complain about the staff, actually said thank you for having a place to complain. 

I am an admin on another forum, that is worldwide. Vendors do not have to pay a single penny on it and neither do our members to be part of any "members only section.

A forum can either be paid by advertising, vendors, or yourself.  On calguns you have 19 banners, albeit small that someone pays for you to browse.  On top, Calguns does not pay for its technology fees and it is donated to them.  

Here, you have a choice.  You do not have to paid a penny to participate on the forum.   Not one.  You have one banner ad that shows up 25% of the time.  You can also get rid of that, and get a few more perks for $3 a month.  In return, you have a great user experience.  Furthermore, our vendors have to pay a fraction of what they would on any other forum.... a small fraction of what I have seen others charge.  Unfortunately, this is not 4 years ago, and the costs to keep the site up are massively larger, however not once in the past 4 years did anyone pay more, or have features taken away.  In fact, we have been adding more and more as time goes on.  Having new members join, gives me the ability to do so.  If it was not, I would not be able to afford to keep the forum up... and once again, that does not include any of the time any of the mods or myself spend here on the forum.

At no point, the people who constantly complain about the staff, actually said thank you for having a place to complain. 

re banning.....i got banned from camaro5, for the sole purpose of showing facts to prove that the gt500 would eat the zl1 for lunch  at will. :D

Long leash you say? You gave me a warning for calling someone a moron, after he insulted me, and you didn't warn him. Then you also told me, "Next time, it's a ban". I wouldn't call that a long leash....

And how do you know he was not given a warning?  In fact, he was.  

I have no issues with anyone plugging national forums. =)

But... we do have a solution for people to discuss gun rights specifically... coming very very soon. =)

i was asking due to the nature of the forum i'm talking about. there's a lot of shit going on in there.....and nothing whatsoever is moderated, regardless of whom it may or may not offend.......the motto there is "no crying".

Just a little clarification... 

most people here believe in freedom.....

with that said this is a privately owned forum, that has over time attracted a large diverse group of people....

there are individuals that identify themselves with the right... individuals that support liberty in its purist form... law enforcement officers... and even some people that are pretty liberal.... this a common place for those individuals that enjoy shooting sports to discuss firearms...  

that is the intended use of the site... 

one more time in case you missed it...

THIS FORUM IS INTENDED AS A PLACE FOR INDIVIDUALS THAT ENJOY FIREARMS TO TALK ABOUT FIREARMS...

this is NOT a place to air your hatred for liberals...

this is NOT a place to spew vial comments about law enforcement....

this is NOT a place to insult others with vast negative generalizations...

and that is the problem..

the problem is not that we hate freedom.. it is not that we want to sensor you..

at your house.. in your yard.. you can say whatever the hell you want... but here... you are required to have a little respect... when a forum is reduced to petty constant bickering and insults.. it becomes worthless...  so if you are here to be an internet tough guy... you should probably just leave..

if you are here because you love guns.. 

and enjoy talking about them.. then this is a great site that has a ton of knowledgeable members.. and a vast amount of information....

once again in case you missed it..

the goal is not to sensor you because we "hate freedom"... the reason some members are finding problems is because a certain amount of tact is required to maintain a decent level of quality...

Vlad, interesting post - and I agree with you completely...Unfortunatly I often see a double standard applying these principles (not you per se just overall how the forum operates)...A recent example is the Shogun posts we have had recently...Where a person "claiming" he is a Police Person (although based on the way he communicates I highly doubt it), who often - not just to me, makes inflamitory remarks. .You know who I am talking about...Here is a few samples..Inflamitory or not? Is this OK because he (claims) he is a Cop?

• "But you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. The above statement is the dumbest thing I have ever read regarding HD/CQB on the internets".
  • "It is calling the bull$hit that you posted bull$shit."
  • "This is exactly the kind of irresponsible posting that I am talking about."

Personal advice?

Stay away from places like that. Real people get really hurt. Mentally and physically.

Things turn evil real fast with tempers blaring. Good way to get in deep doo- doo...

Just saying..

i was asking due to the nature of the forum i'm talking about. there's a lot of shit going on in there.....and nothing whatsoever is moderated, regardless of whom it may or may not offend.......the motto there is "no crying".

Sent from John's iPad 2 via Tapatalk HD

Typos courtesy Apple...

Being a gun "forum" will naturally attract conservatives. These individuals believe in free speech, open dialogue. They know that politics and guns are often intertwined in discussions, and they enjoy lively debate, and as grown ups they understand that discussions dont always make everyone happy. There is nothing to let them know that this site is very pro public union, very pro LEO, and not conservative. While being completely confrontational with conservatives will lower the numbers of site visitors, lowering the appeal to advertisers, it is still up to the site owner to do what he wishes. He is free to take the ball and go home, its his site.

And how do you know he was not given a warning?  In fact, he was.  

I apologize for mistaking that he was not. I guess I made an assumption. But I stand by the fact that you told me you would ban me the next time I did something out of line. I hardly call that a long leash, especially when all I did was defend myself. Moving on, I think political correctness has had a big part in why our country is in the state that it is. If we all stopped being fake, and just started being real and honest with ourselves and each other, we'd be in a better place. Suppression of ones words, regardless of what those words are, are never a good thing IMO.

How about.....now hear me out.....use the warning points system and BAN the troublemakers. There are enough of these threads telling people how to act that if they don't follow the rules kick them the fuck out.

As a side note; questioning a cop or his actions does NOT equal "leo hater".

I am an admin on another forum, that is worldwide. Vendors do not have to pay a single penny on it and neither do our members to be part of any "members only section.

That is terrific. It is about expenses and options.  I do not know what the other forum you are talking about is, nor does it matter if it is worldwide or not.  There are costs involved with all.

Again, you do not need to pay to be a member to be here.  Instead of putting up 5 banner ads to pay for the costs, you have the option.  For the first few years, I paid the costs out of pocket, and because for the most part we all knew each other, we did not spend hours a day solving issues.  Right now it is quite different.   I do not intend on putting up ads on every corner for members, nor do I want to.  As such, premier members do not see the ads. Not one person that I spoke with decided to help contribute to the forum because of being in the cool "members only" section.  

Personal advice?

Stay away from places like that. Real people get really hurt. Mentally and physically.

Things turn evil real fast with tempers blaring. Good way to get in deep doo- doo...

Just saying..

Typos courtesy Apple...

ya just gotta watch whatcha do.i've been on that forum for a few years now, with no problems whatsoever. i've offered automotive advice to quite a few of the guys on there.

I apologize for mistaking that he was not. I guess I made an assumption. But I stand by the fact that you told me you would ban me the next time I did something out of line. I hardly call that a long leash, especially when all I did was defend myself. Moving on, I think political correctness has had a big part in why our country is in the state that it is. If we all stopped being fake, and just started being real and honest with ourselves and each other, we'd be in a better place. Suppression of ones words, regardless of what those words are, are never a good thing IMO.

That is what assuming does. =)  I am not going to copy the post here, but you did assume there too. You went off on him pretty bad and I just can't tolerate hot heads.   Would it cause a ban?  not a permanent one, but it really depends on severity of it and the other factors... ie, isolated incident... or am I not surprised because when I log in, there are 2 reports about the post, and 3 other people I have known for years send me a pm along the lines of... "what is wrong with this guy, he is totally out of his mind." 

How about.....now hear me out.....use the warning points system and BAN the troublemakers. There are enough of these threads telling people how to act that if they don't follow the rules kick them the fuck out.

As a side note; questioning a cop or his actions does NOT equal "leo hater".

We are. =)  So far 3 for 3. 

3 people who are completely in the mindset that cursing someone out is totally fine.

Here is the thing though, if anyone of those people ever sent me an email stating... "hey, I'm sorry, i just lost my cool because of x, y, and z... I won't do it again." would have no issues.

Guess what?  One of the the moderators, who I now grew to respect and value his opinion... well... he was on the very first shit-list, and was banned, at least once? maybe twice. =)

That is what assuming does. =)  I am not going to copy the post here, but you did assume there too. You went off on him pretty bad and I just can't tolerate hot heads.   Would it cause a ban?  not a permanent one, but it really depends on severity of it and the other factors... ie, isolated incident... or am I not surprised because when I log in, there are 2 reports about the post, and 3 other people I have known for years send me a pm along the lines of... "what is wrong with this guy, he is totally out of his mind." 

C'mon Mak, you really think I went off on him pretty bad? By calling him a moron and a dimwit? If members really did send you a pm asking "What's wrong with this guy, he is totally out of his mind", they are some pretty thin skinned people. Mind you, I still have the post in question, and it's hardly warranting of comments like the above. I can only LMFAO at people who think that post was harsh. :D

CA, I kind of remember when you first got here. You were cool and collective.

I don't recall ever seeing you this way. The easier solution is 'agree to disagree' and move on. Threads should never go this far. But whether it's a passion or hands on knowledge, people learn different ways. Hell, I'm old school. I've taught good people how to shoot long ago. Before my eyes started getting sucky, I was a crack shot. But I'll be the first to admit that times and techniques have changed. We are not so far apart in age I suspect. But today's generation of shooters have different playing fields. None like I've seen years ago. Time and technique improves. I listen and watch and try keep an open mind. Others have said it. What works for you may not work for everyone. If you feel so strong about something and you feel you are right, so be it.

But trying to change your mindset is no easier than trying to change the other's...

If neither can conclude, then stalemate. It's over.

I believe you can chalk it up, (or maybe we should caulk it up, lol)... to having too many dominant people in the same room. Only difference there, would possibly be sitting around a table discussing this over a few beers and laughing instead of pissing fire. But forums house more than dominant people. Quite frankly it houses some of the worse egotistical bastoids on the planet. They can say or do anything behind the mask of a keyboard and virtually be anything they want. That will never change either. But they also house some of the most experienced, most open minded, as well as just the lurkers who just read. I use to admin a very big international forum years ago. Lots of people thought they had rights to. Mind you rights, and rules are two diff animals. It got so out of hand, I had to ban a whole country.

Hope you catch my drift. In no way did I mean any disrespect here. All I know if it means me arguing I'm right or keeping my bp down, I will concede and let it go.

:)

Typos courtesy Apple...

Go fig... A forum for flame wars. :facepalm: lmao! :)

ok.......totally unmoderated. some offensive stuff. most not. it's kinda a fun place to speak your mind though. it's private, so ya hafta register.

http://www.flamewarriors.net/forum/index.php

Typos courtesy Apple...

Why is this turning into everyone bickering at mom?  I really haven't seen crossed signals and think mods and admins have been quite clear on the code of conduct.  Things have gotten progressively less tolerated because people have gotten more and more out of hand.  

Its a shame that Vlad has to keep making these topics.

Its not your board guys. If you want to enjoy what is going on here then do so, if not bye.

I just don't get why anyone is petitioning to Maks and the mods to change the way he wants *his* forum run...

Why is this turning into everyone bickering at mom? I really haven't seen crossed signals and think mods and admins have been quite clear on the code of conduct. Things have gotten progressively less tolerated because people have gotten more and more out of hand.

It is what it is... John hit it on the head.

For most of us... it is a big community, of well, actual people and relationships. For some it is merely yet another message board.

If anyone remembers me 4 years ago, I was actually fairly moderate, ok, pushover on a lot of gun topics, as I had only been shooting for a year or so at that point. However over time, having that community, and learning through thoughtful discussion and observations, I learned. It was not because someone went off on someone else.

The vast majority of the people are really awesome people who lurk and visit.

Put it this way, we have over 100,000 different individuals visit the message boards and read information, be it to learn or what not. They come primarily from NJ, however many come from other states. Yet... we only have a bit over 5,000 members. So only 5% of the people who frequent the forum are registered members, and I would estimate about 20% of those are actively logging in and contributing. We may only have 5 or 6 people who are here to stir nothing more than trouble for their own amusement... and that's fine... the other 99.5% are just happy to have a place to come to and learn.

YES!, we do have gun owners who are democrats on this forum. YES, there are awesome women on the forum.... we can't think stereo-typically that everyone feels exactly the same way. =)

The best way to win people over is to empower them to make their own decision and to learn for themselves.... a child will not learn to not touch the hot stove by you telling them not to. They will learn by themselves.

Jesus can't you people let something go? And must you rehash and defend every bit of your estrogen filled actions?

For God's sake men (an apparently I'm using that term loosely) grow a set. Man up, shut up, move on.

Or continue whining about how you didn't get a fair shake. :rolleyes:

Shake-shake-shake....Shake-shake-shake! Shake your booooty ----- shake your boooooty! OMG, I'm showing my old age... Yeesh! ;)

Jesus can't you people let something go? And must you rehash and defend every bit of your estrogen filled actions?

For God's sake men (an apparently I'm using that term loosely) grow a set. Man up, shut up, move on.

Typos courtesy Apple...

the reason you are seeing threads like this.. and the reason you are seeing more aggressive enforcement of rules is the following..I have watched people that have been here forever grow very frustrated with things... they get it.. NJ sucks for gun laws.. they get it.. it would be awesome to change those things.... but they came to this forum to be part of what it was originally intended for.. and that was to be a community of firearms owners.... the common bond is guns... its not political affiliation... religion.. music... cars.. its GUNS... you are more than welcome to talk about whatever you want... the problem is when talking turns into a pissing contest.... all of you that say "oh grow some thicker skin" its not that the people are "sad"... it is just that they are tired of having to self filter a bunch of BS and bickering...

that is the point... no one is complaining about hurt feelings.. no one is crying in the corner because they were called a moron... but people are tired of watching threads that could have value, get spun into petty high school girl cat fights...

speak your mind offer your input... but don't do it like some cocky dbag...

take combat auto.. I personally believe that some of the things he posted are beyond ridiculous... that is simply my opinion... it is NOTHING personal.. HE is entitled to do whatever he wants... I only offer him my input with hopes of helping him see another way of doing something, and with hopes that others that read the thread in question will weigh other options...... options that I feel are "better"... and I can debate it for DAYS without resorting to petty name calling and drama... and that is what is required to keep threads from going to shit...

Go fig... A forum for flame wars. :facepalm: lmao! :)

Typos courtesy Apple...

well....here;s how i found that place.

remember that topic i started about aces high? well.......i got myself a vacation from that bbs. i forget exactly what i said, but it wasn't nice....and i did deserve that vacation.

anyway, one of the members emailed me the addy for flamewarriors. now, when i want to rant, or just talk about stuff that's not allowed on aces high bbs, such as politics, religion, or even sometimes guns......i go there.

funny thing is now, i'm a cm on aces high, and i'm much much more careful of what i post......

CA, I kind of remember when you first got here. You were cool and collective.

I don't recall ever seeing you this way. The easier solution is 'agree to disagree' and move on. Threads should never go this far. But whether it's a passion or hands on knowledge, people learn different ways. Hell, I'm old school. I've taught good people how to shoot long ago. Before my eyes started getting sucky, I was a crack shot. But I'll be the first to admit that times and techniques have changed. We are not so far apart in age I suspect. But today's generation of shooters have different playing fields. None like I've seen years ago. Time and technique improves. I listen and watch and try keep an open mind. Others have said it. What works for you may not work for everyone. If you feel so strong about something and you feel you are right, so be it.

But trying to change your mindset is no easier than trying to change the other's...

If neither can conclude, then stalemate. It's over.

I believe you can chalk it up, (or maybe we should caulk it up, lol)... to having too many dominant people in the same room. Only difference there, would possibly be sitting around a table discussing this over a few beers and laughing instead of pissing fire. But forums house more than dominant people. Quite frankly it houses some of the worse egotistical bastoids on the planet. They can say or do anything behind the mask of a keyboard and virtually be anything they want. That will never change either. But they also house some of the most experienced, most open minded, as well as just the lurkers who just read. I use to admin a very big international forum years ago. Lots of people thought they had rights to. Mind you rights, and rules are two diff animals. It got so out of hand, I had to ban a whole country.

Hope you catch my drift. In no way did I mean any disrespect here. All I know if it means me arguing I'm right or keeping my bp down, I will concede and let it go.

:)

Typos courtesy Apple...

Mr Behunted, good to hear from you you Salty-Dog ;-), and you give me great words of advise...I have no issues with the other person's view in the SG thread, it was the inflamitory comments...I didn't report the person or anything - but as long as Vlad started this thread, with the theme of a certain level of respect for each other, I thought I'd bring it up...I think you know from my post I am one of the most respectful people around, but I grew up in a neighborhood where if you get punched - you punched back ;-)...So I called out that person...

For this thread, I really want to understand how these "rules of respect" work...Those were some pretty inflamatory comments by the person I mentioned. Just wondering if respect rules applies to everyone, or if some people are exempt....Because, I truly think this could be an (even) better forum if some of these Yahoos (your descriptions are even better :-)) where kept in check...I just saw the participation vs visitor statistics Max posted - I think more respect would lead to more participation....I hope Vlad response to my post above.

BTW, Max, if you are reading this I think you do a great job...You certainly have your hands full! :-).

No idea what this post means...And youd be well served to change your avitar ;-).

the reason you are seeing threads like this.. and the reason you are seeing more aggressive enforcement of rules is the following..I have watched people that have been here forever grow very frustrated with things... they get it.. NJ sucks for gun laws.. they get it.. it would be awesome to change those things.... but they came to this forum to be part of what it was originally intended for.. and that was to be a community of firearms owners.... the common bond is guns... its not political affiliation... religion.. music... cars.. its GUNS... you are more than welcome to talk about whatever you want... the problem is when talking turns into a pissing contest.... all of you that say "oh grow some thicker skin" its not that the people are "sad"... it is just that they are tired of having to self filter a bunch of BS and bickering...

that is the point... no one is complaining about hurt feelings.. no one is crying in the corner because they were called a moron... but people are tired of watching threads that could have value, get spun into petty high school girl cat fights...

speak your mind offer your input... but don't do it like some cocky dbag... take combat auto.. I personally believe that some of the things he posted are beyond ridiculous... that is simply my opinion... it is NOTHING personal.. HE is entitled to do whatever he wants... I only offer him my input with hopes of helping him see another way of doing something, and with hopes that others that read the thread in question will weigh other options...... options that I feel are "better"... and I can debate it for DAYS without resorting to petty name calling and drama... and that is what is required to keep threads from going to shit...

Well this is really sad Vlad...You suppose to be respectful, and balanced, and you equate me to a cocky dbag...Just cause I have a different view then you...And I never said your view was bad/wrong....You just lost all my respect Bro - you are acting like quite the hipocrite...And I hope you have the honesty to answer my post above about the inflamitory remarks..

Well this is really sad Vlad...You suppose to be respectful, and balanced, and you equate me to a cocky dbag...Just cause I have a different view then you...And I never said your view was bad/wrong....You just lost all my respect Bro - you are acting like quite the hipocrite...And I hope you have the honesty to answer my post above about the inflamitory remarks..

that was not directed at you.. that was in general.. 

I edited it to read like this.. so hopefully it makes more sense now..

speak your mind offer your input... but don't do it like some cocky dbag...

take combat auto.. I personally believe that some of the things he posted are beyond ridiculous... that is simply my opinion... it is NOTHING personal.. HE is entitled to do whatever he wants... I only offer him my input with hopes of helping him see another way of doing something, and with hopes that others that read the thr