Sign in to follow this  
illy

Illinois concealed carry

who would have thought that Illinois would allow their citizens to conceal carry before NJ. 

Yes, who could have?

http://njgunforums.com/forum/index.php/topic/24428-constitutional-challenge-to-part-of-new-jerseys-gun-carry-law-rejected/#entry321776

New Jersey will be the last. Or, perhaps, never.

You guys have been following Illinois, right? Illinois? LOL, that would be some stuff. Governer would veto but it appears they are close to what it would take to overturn. In NJ, you have the worst of both of those. Throw in the third aspect of the evil courts of NJ. This dogma and evil runs deeper and is more pervasive in NJ than any other place that is considered a state or territory of the Great United States of America. Legislative, Judicial, Executive, Citizenry, and Politically. We have people on this very forum posting questions on whether or not hollow points are legal in this state or that state LOL. Brainwashed, rinse-cycled, and dried. Present company excluded.

Powerball numbers would be a guess. I gave specific reasons that were and are playing out.

I'm glad for Illinois, but I would give them to Canada in exchange for being wrong.

I don't see any chance for NJ as of now. I don't have dice or a crystal ball. No Powerball numbers, and no happy speculation for NJ.

Illinois is getting very close. The Governor is expected to amend and then sign. 

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/politics/clout/chi-quinn-expected-to-use-amendatory-veto-powers-on-concealed-carry-bill-tuesday-20130701,0,6816106.story

There is speculation that he will let local towns pick and choose their regulations which will be nothing short of an absolute clusterf***. 

Several counties are already allowing carry with a FOID card by not enforcing the existing illegal possession laws. 

I still have hope for NJ despite the doom and gloom from mipafox and others. The 3rd circuit still has to rule and we may get a nice surprise. Or not. But I prefer optimism. 

Anyway when they finally start issuing I am planning to visit Illinois and get a nonresident permit.

And as expected, Quinn guts the bill:

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2013/07/foghorn/breaking-illinois-governor-guts-concealed-carry-bill/?fb_source=pubv1

•  Requires a person carrying a gun to have it completely concealed, rather than mostly.
  • Limits a person to carrying one magazine that is capable of holding 10 or fewer bullets. 
  • Prohibits carrying in any establishment where alcohol is consumed, except for a private residence or private club. The original bill prohibited carrying in establishments where alcohol sales account for more than 50 percent of receipts. 
  • Inverts the presumption of where a person can carry. Licensees can carry only in locations where the property owner has posted a sign indicating it’s OK to carry a gun on the property. Previously, the bill said property owners had to post signs if they wanted to prohibit carrying guns on their property. 
  • Allows employers to prohibit guns on their properties, even inside vehicles on parking lots. Previously, the bill’s “safe harbor” provision allowed an employee to keep his or her firearm in the car while parked in the lot, even if the employer prohibited firearms on the property. 
  • Requires a licensee to lock the gun in a case before exiting the vehicle when parked outside a location that prohibits guns. Previously, the bill allowed a licensee to carry an unloaded gun in the immediate area surrounding the car in order to store it or retrieve it from the trunk. 
  • Completely removes the preemption against bans on so-called assault weapons, thereby restoring the authority of municipalities to enact bans on such weapons.

But it passed with a veto proof majority, so this shouldn't matter. Illinois will be dragged kicking and screaming into America whether they like it or not!

And as expected, Quinn guts the bill:

But it passed with a veto proof majority, so this shouldn't matter. Illinois will be dragged kicking and screaming into America whether they like it or not!

As long as the IL legislators are not off for the summer like our National reps. I do hope they overrule his veto though.

Well it is VERY interesting. The legislature has a veto proof majority  on this, AND they have one single session day left to make up their mind. If they punt, then the state becomes "constitutional carry" which will be hilarious. 

Problem there is then you run into each municipality passing their own ordinances...creating a patchwork of laws that a carrier would have to keep abreast of.

Problem there is then you run into each municipality passing their own ordinances...creating a patchwork of laws that a carrier would have to keep abreast of.

This takes time. There will be constitutional carry, at least for a short time. 

And a lot of counties have already passed resolutions in support of concealed carry.

http://pro2aresolution.tripod.com/id12.html

I'm confused. It seems the bill wasn't great to begin with and Quinn's changes make it worse? Also seems that if a bill doesn't pass that the home-rule areas of that state will make CCW a huge morass.

The bill was better than what the democrats were hoping for. They were hoping for a may issue bill/no issue in practice like how it is in NJ or NY. But Quinn is behaving like a petulant child, and essentially throwing a tantrum here. They don't want concealed carry. Liberals generally fear an armed populace. 

Today is the day, as in the court's deadline for making changes to the carry laws in Illinois. 

ISP is of course saying it's illegal to carry, we will  arrest you blah blah but several counties already have been saying they won't prosecute.

Congrats Illinois! When they do shake it out I might shell out the 300 clams just to give a big FU to the antis.