302w

Need some reccomendations on tools. Sockets specifically.

I need a set of 1/2" drive standard and communist metric sockets for work. 

Thing is... where did all of the affordable, American made tools go? 

I've been tool-shopping for awhile now and I can't find anything made here that isnt $150-200 for a dozen or so sockets. Craftsman went to China, Kobalt and Husky have been commie crap for awhile now (although I have some really nice older Kobalt wrenches), SK/Snap On are crazy expensive, and Matco/Cornwall/Proto I can't find anywhere. Here are my requirements:

1. Made in the US, and will be for some time. 

2. Lifetime warranty.

3. No BS warranty replacement. I want to walk in with busted tools and walk out. 

6 or 12 point I don't care. I already have everything except 1/2" drive sockets. All my ratchets are Snap-On which I bought off Ebay. I was going to buy SK sockets but Schaffer Supply in Dover is crazy expensive. I may just buy 3 sockets at a time. 

Cheap/affordable and made in the USA....not likely.

Affordable, lifetime warranty, no bs replacement plan, the first thing that comes to mind is Harbor Freight. But nothing there is made in the USA.

Some people hate on the quality of Harbor Freight's tools but I've never had a problem with any of their hand tools.

Craftsman i have been buying craftsman lately and harbor frieght for throw away tools.  I have snap-on tools but i keep them in the tool box most of the time as dealers come and go havent had a dealer for about 5 years we have a local dealer now but odds are he wont last long..

Craftsman professional series is the way to go no bs warranty.

I have purchased some snap-on tools recently that were made in china so be all usa on snap-on.

I would get 6 pt sockets. I've had to do some car repairs lately and the 12 pointers started to round off the nuts.

6 point best all around and for high torque 12 point can round off a nut but are usually thinner walls which allow accress in tight places.

I would look for used craftsman tools at yard sales. As far as buying new, almost all of Cman tools are going overseas. Mac has had a huge portion of their line go to China or Tawian. Matco is no different.

Snap-on is the only one with almost their entire line being USA made. The blue point stuff is not American made.

I use Snap-On.

I can't buy Harbor Freight. I'm not going to buy Chinese junk, and I'd break crap too much and I don't want to drive there often. I'm using these tools 40+ hours a week. 

Craftsman tools are decent, but they're Chinese nowadays and I refuse to buy foreign tools. I keep my wheels, tools, and guns (sans surplus) American. 

Buell, thanks for the offer but I'm too far away.

I may just buy a 1/2 to 3/8 adapter for my breaker bar, and buy only the larger sized bits in 1/2".

snap on for work

craftsman for home

harbor freight for anything oddball (single or light use) for home

And 6 pt. For sockets.. 12 pt on wrenches Molon Labe

this.

on a good socket set the 6 pts wont be ridiculously thick as to impede access to places

although my work box is home now so i just have everything in one spot...

I've got close to $60k in tools. 90% of which is Snap-On. That 90%, are the tools that I know I can depend on. If you're using these tools for work, don't screw around. That's one of the more important things I teach my apprentices. The tools are there to help you do your job. If your tools break mid-job, you're screwed. We always preach "buy once, cry once" and this is no different.

I would look for used craftsman tools at yard sales. As far as buying new, almost all of Cman tools are going overseas. Mac has had a huge portion of their line go to China or Tawian. Matco is no different.

Snap-on is the only one with almost their entire line being USA made. The blue point stuff is not American made.

I use Snap-On.

Sorry bry@n, missed this post...  Guess Mac is out too.

My Father-In-Law (mechanic of ~40 years) has recently switched back to Snap-On.  He used to be a die hard Mac guy, but switched to Matco about 12 years ago and then Snap-On in the last 2 years.  Guess the quality is speaking for itself.

It's just not quality. It's also the fact that Mac and Matco are having a hard time keeping drivers.

I recently just sold tons of us made craftsman sockets and stuff. It's out there at yard sales and stuff. Just know that if you have to warranty it, it's gonna be made somewhere else.

MAC stands for Made Across China. My daily tools for sockets, ratchets and wrenches are Snap On. Also have a few sets of S-K super chrome wrenches that I really like. My sets i keep in my vehicles are Craftsman and are just for road side emergencies. The only thing from MAC I like are their panel pullers and long reach needle nose pliers.. For occasional use go Craftsman. If using everyday professionally then go Snap On. I've heard good things about Cornwell but no dealer near me so I've never seen their tools

I need a set of 1/2" drive standard and communist metric sockets for work. 

Thing is... where did all of the affordable, American made tools go? 

I've been tool-shopping for awhile now and I can't find anything made here that isnt $150-200 for a dozen or so sockets. Craftsman went to China, Kobalt and Husky have been commie crap for awhile now (although I have some really nice older Kobalt wrenches), SK/Snap On are crazy expensive, and Matco/Cornwall/Proto I can't find anywhere. Here are my requirements:

1. Made in the US, and will be for some time. 

2. Lifetime warranty.

3. No BS warranty replacement. I want to walk in with busted tools and walk out. 

6 or 12 point I don't care. I already have everything except 1/2" drive sockets. All my ratchets are Snap-On which I bought off Ebay. I was going to buy SK sockets but Schaffer Supply in Dover is crazy expensive. I may just buy 3 sockets at a time. 

forget cheap. you get what you pay for. buy snap on or matco. those are the best out there, and you'll not regret spending the money on them.

i've had craftsman line wrenches help me remove too much skin from my knuckles. their 12 point sockets are just as reliable. their 1/2" stuff in 6 point is good.......but as i mentioned earlier, snap on of matco all the way. i've got sockets from 20 years ago still having not let me down.