jgofnj

Does donating to local PBA help score 'points'

Just curious, I usually donate to my local PBA.  Does it help in anyway?  Do they keep a 'list' of the donators?  Do the local cops know who donates?  I already know the IRS keeps track and will audit you if you are a conservative.

No they have no clue, When I was in college I worked for a telemarketer in New Brunswick and at times we did calls for the PBA donations. Was a bunch of crap working for this firm because the PBA only actually got a very small % of peoples donation. The telemarketer and other adminstration fees ate up huge amount of the $.

No they have no clue, When I was in college I worked for a telemarketer in New Brunswick and at times we did calls for the PBA donations. Was a bunch of crap working for this firm because the PBA only actually got a very small % of peoples donation. The telemarketer and other adminstration fees ate up huge amount of the $.

Thats why the majority of PBAs if not all from the state down have gotten completely away from telemarketers.. That said.. No, it doesnt score you any "points"

the only thing that will score you some points some times... is a PBA / FOP card....  I generally follow the law... but when I had my obnoxious Honda, and would get pulled over to get checked out.. they would normally ease up once they got handed one of those... now I know that everyone is going to hate and be bitter about unfair treatment... and well fine.. it is a fair argument... but I am just being honest.. 

I highly doubt it will do anything extra.  Doubtful also that they know how donates what.  I got pulled over once and the cop knew where I worked which kinda freaked me out a bit (dont know if he's just seen me around or it comes up when they run my license)  I got a chief of police pba recently, I havent needed it yet but I imagine its like a get out of jail free card for silly things. 

Actually, when the fundraising is done by the local PBA, it does a lot...

P.O. BOX #164

OAKLAND, N.J. 07436

Chartered 1965

Mark Piercy, President & State Delegate

Ryan O'Keefe, Vice President

Keith Docwra, Treasurer

Gary Gusterson, Secretary

Bryan Rowin, Alternate State Delegate

Oakland PBA Local #164 is a non-profit professional organization made up entirely of Oakland Police Officers. Our annual fund drive is the primary source for the funds that enable us to continue our community involvement and support our various programs, for our members, locally and statewide.

During the previous year, your contributions helped us to continue funding and supporting the following charitable programs:

Sgt. Albin Turza Memorial Scholarship Fund

Indian Hills Project Graduation

Bergen County 200 Club

Emmanuel Cancer Foundation

Tomorrow's Children Foundation

Oakland Safety Town

Oakland D.A.R.E.

NJ Cystic Fibrosis Fund

Indian Hills PAC

NJ Special Olympics

In addition to the above donations, our P.B.A. has provided financial assistance to Police Officers and their families throughout the State of New Jersey in their time of need.

We have maintained an Emergency Contact Program at Police Headquarters which has been of great benefit to the residents who have voluntarily participated in it. This program enables the Police Department to provide enhanced services to the communitywhen needed. Please feel free to contact any one of our members at Police Headquarters if you would like to learn more about this program.

The Oakland PBA does not utilize or encourage telephone solicitations of any kind to raise funds. Our Annual Fund Drive letter is our only way of seeking your support. Please make your donations payable to Oakland PBA Local #164.

So give to give. Not to get off on a ticket for being on the cell while driving.

my town sends out a PBA Supporter car decal when they send you the donation request mailing.  That car decal MAY help if you are stopped in your own town, but its not likely to do anything elsewhere. 

You really need to have one of those shiny gold badges that go inside the windshield. I have never seen a car with one of those pulled over.

The cold callers usually say they're calling for the FOP and the scam is, they get a donation of like 10% of the gross (maybe net) proceeds of the boiler room operation.

I make a small donation to the local police and fire and EMS just to show my support, I  have the decals but don't scrape and replace every year or worse yet tile them across the window.

And that's the way it should be blk. I have a lot of close friends who have no Leo in the family yet they have badges and cards from friends or family friends and never get tickets. And they constantly get pulled over. I don't know why Leo's keep giving them to them they get a call every time and have to deal with it. I would be embarrassed.

When active, I ran across locals that say they donated to the PBA.  Funny thing is, our PD was not PBA.  Most belonged to the FOP, but we had our own Association, which all of the PD belonged to.  People thought that they are donating to their local PD.

I also write my name badge number and phone number on all my cards. That way if the officer wants to call me to verify the card he is more than welcome to. Too many people put those shields in their cars then act like jackass's. I can't stand it.

Donate to your local FD or EMS ( who VOLUNTEER). They need it most due to cuts in their budgets for stuff they actually need. Police are already paid through our tax dollars.

I have an FOP shield in my front window, a metal "property of the bearer" family member PBA card from my father, a stack of various PBA, FOP and NJSOA cards from family and friends both employed and retired from a number of different agencies here in NJ. I got pulled over once in the last five years and got a ticket, so I'm going to say donating gets you nothing more than a receipt that says you donated. LOL

And another thread turns into cop salary discussion...

Nope, you just brought it there (and you can leave it there). :)

A lot of people donate to their local firehouse instead of a police union.  The idea being that volunteer forces are usually more hard up for money.  Nothing to do with cop's salaries.

Regarding the discussion about shields and cards:

What do you guys think of using PBA/FOP tags on your family vehicles?

And how do you all feel about everyone and their mother having a blue line decal on their family vehicles these days (obsoleting the message that this discrete identifiers had conveyed in the past couple decades)?

And another thread turns into cop salary discussion...

What did i say that referred to salary? Keep your b!tching to yourself.

Nope, you just brought it there (and you can leave it there). :)

A lot of people donate to their local firehouse instead of a police union.  The idea being that volunteer forces are usually more hard up for money.  Nothing to do with cop's salaries.

Thank you for actually seeing the point in my post.

What did i say that referred to salary? Keep your b!tching to yourself.

Thank you for actually seeing the point in my post.

because your post was so transparent.. The OP was a question about donating to a local PBA..which BTW does not spend donated money on salaries, new cars etc.. but, as in the case of my PBA spends that money on Special Olympics of NJ, police explorer program, PAL and also thousands of dollars in supplies and hundreds of VOLUNTEER hours by PO's that worked in Belmar, Breezy Point and Staten Island in the weeks after Sandy..

While I encourage and myself donate $$ to my towns EMS and Fire.. Your statement insinuated that donations are not needed to PBA because thats all covered by taxes. If the above programs dont mean anything to you then by all means look elsewhere.. Just because cops are paid through tax money doesnt mean the PBA has the money for community outreach programs..so in closing I ask you..since you brought it up.. What does cops being paid by taxes have to do with giving money to a PBA for community programs/ charity?

Curiouser and curiouser...

Does anyone think that donations to local PBA go to cop salaries? I posted the info for the PBA local in the town where my business is in. Didn't see anything about giving cops raises. In the town that I live in, there is a local PAL that does an amazing amount for kids. We contribute to both because they are local. And they help. Once again, donate to local PALs, FOPs or PBAs to help local causes. Not to get off on a ticket. Law-abiding. Simple.

I find it unbelievable that 100's of thousands of people give millions to the Red Cross for Katrina, Haiti, Sandy etc without a clue as to who is getting helped or if at all. Million dollar shore houses? Hell, farm aid is still around, I guess ADM is falling on hard times. It isn't like our tax money doesn't go to fund subsidies so people grow corn we don't need. But I digress...

Btw, I personally know many, many LEOs that volunteer and give of their time and money to many great causes.

because your post was so transparent.. The OP was a question about donating to a local PBA..which BTW does not spend donated money on salaries, new cars etc.. but, as in the case of my PBA spends that money on Special Olympics of NJ, police explorer program, PAL and also thousands of dollars in supplies and hundreds of VOLUNTEER hours by PO's that worked in Belmar, Breezy Point and Staten Island in the weeks after Sandy..

While I encourage and myself donate $$ to my towns EMS and Fire.. Your statement insinuated that donations are not needed to PBA because thats all covered by taxes. If the above programs dont mean anything to you then by all means look elsewhere.. Just because cops are paid through tax money doesnt mean the PBA has the money for community outreach programs..so in closing I ask you..since you brought it up.. What does cops being paid by taxes have to do with giving money to a PBA for community programs/ charity?

your giving the union money to do with as they please. They're purpose is to serve the Leo's, they can spend money on and sponsor programs but you can just as easily donate money to those same causes with out giving it to the union. I hardly doubt anyone here is donating money to the njea? And yes they donate money to charities and sponsor programs too. They serve the special interest of Leo's, so that is why I don't donate to them. Same reason I bet no one here give the njea any money.

your giving the union money to do with as they please. They're purpose is to serve the Leo's, they can spend money on and sponsor programs but you can just as easily donate money to those same causes with out giving it to the union. I hardly doubt anyone here is donating money to the njea? And yes they donate money to charities and sponsor programs too. They serve the special interest of Leo's, so that is why I don't donate to them. Same reason I bet no one here give the njea any money.

Jack I agree with you that for some the idea of giving to a union is an uncomfortable one...and I myself am not one to EVER solicit donations. I leave that to the board members. Yes everyone can give directly to the various charities and that is something for you to decide. I know that at least in my town I can open up the local paper and see the programs the PBA is helping to run ..I can also go to the events and see first hand how the $$ are being used.. For me the biggest thing is the misnomer that giving to the local PBA is paying for parties, new guns, salary bonuses, etc. One just has to ask around, read the local paper or turn on the  local community cable channel and you'll see where the PBA is giving back to the community that pays for its services from tax $$.