SlipperyPete

SR22 ammo feeding issues/solutions

Having issues with running all the ammo I have through the SR22.  CCI Mini mag, Aguila, Remmington Golden Bullet, and Winchester X.  Brand new firearm.  Cleaned it real good, and lubed.  Having casings failing to eject, rounds jamming, not feeding properly up the ramp, and cycling failing to reload a round at all.  Tried 2 different magazines also to see if it was the mag, and both have issues.  I would say it is at least one round per magazine. 

I noted in past threads, some folks had issues similar, just curious if anyone has any solutions.

Thanks

I know you said you cleaned it but look at the feed ramp and make sure it is clean and smooth. No burrs on it. One other thing to check is look at the ends of the mags. Make sure both edges look uniform. I have seen a few mags where one edge was bent from the factory and the gun would not cycle at all. Is this brand new and is it pistol or rifle? Has the gun worked for you before and this is a new issue?

I have had no issues at all with my SR22.  I can run anything through it.  But I did have a lot of problems with a conversion kit that I bought for my Glock, similar to what you are describing above.  I contacted the company.  They had me send it back, tuned it up a bit, and now it runs great.

I would suggest you contact Ruger to see what's up.  Have you had it for awhile and it just started acting up, or has it been doing it since you got it?

My friends sr had the mag issue sounds similar to your problems. Ruger sent him a new magazine and it resolved the issue. My sr was a pos out of the box. At 4 yards I couldn't hit the target. It was about 8" off from poa. Sent it back to Ruger. The pistol wasn't assembled correctly. Got it back and no more issues.

I had some issues (fte) running my sr22 while using some garbage winchester wildcat.  I switched to copper washed .22 and it was still acting strangely.  When I pulled the barrel apart, I noticed a large lead buildup in one of the grooves in the barrel.  I went to town on it for several minutes getting everything out.  The next range trip was 100% better. 

A very popular issue with SR22 is the guide rod and spring aren't seated properly. The spring MUST be completely seated on the guide rod. The instructions for seating the spring on the guide rod are in your manual. If you're able to wiggle or shake your guide rod and have the spring fall off, than it isn't on right. You would be amazed at how many problems can come from that spring not being seated properly. Do you have the same feeding issues when manually cycling the firearm through a whole magazine?

A very popular issue with SR22 is the guide rod and spring aren't seated properly. The spring MUST be completely seated on the guide rod. The instructions for seating the spring on the guide rod are in your manual. If you're able to wiggle or shake your guide rod and have the spring fall off, than it isn't on right. You would be amazed at how many problems can come from that spring not being seated properly. Do you have the same feeding issues when manually cycling the firearm through a whole magazine?

The guide rod was seated correctly.  I did note that in the manual before I fired the pistol

I have an sr22 also and once every 500 rounds or so I get a fail to feed. I took a q-tip and put it in a drill and polished the feed ramp with some mothers mag polish and since then I haven't had any issues. Try it out..

Also on the mag followers I polished them with 3000 grit paper to make them like glass smooth as a "just in case".