Sign in to follow this  
Soju

Un-pinning an AR stock

Well I got good news and bad news.

For those concerned about how permanent or how well simply using a roll pin or tension pin is to make your once collapsible stock into a fixed one... it is pretty darn permanent.

For those who maybe have left NJ and want to return it to a functioning collapsible stock again...good luck.

I know I can get that pin out. Positive. What I'm not so sure about is if I can get it out without drilling all the way through both the buffer and stock. 

Magpul MOE stock. Fixed using nothing more then a single tension pin. Clean hole, pin not too far in. Seems like there may be a little bit of play. Thing doesn't budge. I feel like I can get it to turn, or maybe even get it to pull out...no such love. I'll get it out eventually, but the stock isn't going to look very pretty any more.

Just figured I'd share my useless tail of futility. The point being, I am pretty confident that a simple roll pin will suffice for those wishing to pin a stock themselves. 

If you can get the stock OVER the pin tip.. then you can slid off and then pull the PIN out.. then get full slide back..

Depends on how it was pinned and where it was pinned..

I got a CTR on one of my current firearms and pinned under the extra friction-latch.. with epoxy.. so I am truly glued..

I had it originally set to the wrong position so I had to work quite abit to get the original pin job reversed..

I loved having to drill another hole into the tube 'ridge' for another PIN..

Picture of the PIN before the epoxy was added and then re-inserted..

PinStock.jpg

• Try drilling and taping the exposed end of the pin. thread a screw into the threads you've just cut and pull it with the screw.

Try screwing a self drilling screw into the end of the roll pin and pulling it with the screw ( a slide hammer would be great if you have one)

If the pin is too hard to tap, a cobalt bit can be used to drill the pin out.  If the bit gets stuck, good, pull the pin using the bit.  If the bit does drill through, the thin shell of the original pin should be weak enough to remove with needle nose pliers.

A small carbide ball burr in a drill will eat the pin like it's plastic - just be sure you have everything clamped and something to brace yourself so you can keep the burr where you want it.  If you can find a burr for a dremel, this would work even better and with more control because a dremel turns much faster.

Thanks for the hints. I'm sure if I took the time to find some better tools I'd have the pin out by now. I thought I had a bit wedge in it to pull it out with. Broke the bit. Oops. I'll get the sucker out one of these days.

Personally, Id just pull the entire assembly, sell it to someone not liberated to America yet, and replace with new.

This.... I came up with half a dozen reversible (With moderate effort) methods to pin an MOE, and in the end it was just simpler to fill the locking pin channel with Epoxy and perm it..it's the length i need it the way it is.