njpilot

I Guess The Amazon Sales Tax Has Started

Thanks, government. Well, at least Amazon usually has lower prices than what I'd see in an actual store. For full prices stuff though, I might as well get off my butt and go out to a store. No point in ordering online if I'm going to be paying full price+S&H on top of a sales tax.

Thanks, government. Well, at least Amazon usually has lower prices than what I'd see in an actual store. For full prices stuff though, I might as well get off my butt and go out to a store. No point in ordering online if I'm going to be paying full price+S&H on top of a sales tax.

You were already supped to pay state taxes. =) just did not declare them on your taxes, did ya?

Best Buy will pricematch Amazon btw.

You can only be exempt from the tax on items that are registered with your tax code, and tax started because although their warehouse isn't finished they finished registering their paperwork for the building in jersey so they have to start charging tax.

No point in ordering online if I'm going to be paying full price+S&H on top of a sales tax.

...except for the cost of gasoline, wear-and-tear on my car, my time, etc......

I purchased 2 bottles of dog shampoo on Amazon yesterday. I wasn't charged sales tax.

You can only be exempt from the tax on items that are registered with your tax code, and tax started because although their warehouse isn't finished they finished registering their paperwork for the building in jersey so they have to start charging tax.

Why would they collect tax just because paperwork was done? What if things fell through, ala Cabelas in NJ, and they never opened a warehouse?

Amazon has always collected tax on ebooks. Has something to do with the publisher. Read the fine print.

Didn't know that. First time I bought one. Thanks.

If the business is setup in your state, IE Barnes and Noble, etc. then you would be taxed. 

If the product is from a NJ vendor sold through Amazon sales tax is collected.  Recently bought something sold by Amazon, supplied by a company from Mahwah, sales tax was collected, original PP invoice did not show it, however charged PP amount shown on e-mail and CC did.

If the product is from a NJ vendor sold through Amazon sales tax is collected.  Recently bought something sold by Amazon, supplied by a company from Mahwah, sales tax was collected, original PP invoice did not show it, however charged PP amount shown on e-mail and CC did.

I've used Amazon for many years, and never encountered that.  Which only goes to show to what extent NJ tax policies have driven the manufacturing base out-of-state.