thug the bunny

lever action questions

I recently got a Marlin 336 30-30 and a Rossi M92 .44 mag. I have put ~30 rounds through each and in becoming familiar with them, I have a few questions.

First, what are the purposes of the half-cock position?

Second, if I am hunting, can I load the chamber and then de-cock the hammer and let it rest on the pin? Would it still fire after re-cocking the hammer?

Third, the Marlin trigger has some free play forward of its firing position, in other words, if I push it forward, it 'wiggles'. None of my other guns do this, is this normal?

Half-cock is a safety. IIRC, it will not advance with just a trigger pull....you have to pull the hammer back slightly and pull the trigger before it will advance.

You shouldn't let the hammer rest fully decocked with a round in the chamber. An external strike to the hammer could cause a discharge. Yes, it would still fire after recocking the hammer.

Yes, that's normal on the Marlin. It almost "rattles", yes?

Half-cock is a safety. IIRC, it will not advance with just a trigger pull....you have to pull the hammer back slightly and pull the trigger before it will advance.

You shouldn't let the hammer rest fully decocked with a round in the chamber. An external strike to the hammer could cause a discharge. Yes, it would still fire after recocking the hammer.

Yes, that's normal on the Marlin. It almost "rattles", yes?

+1

Half cock is for walking around in the woods with a round in the chamber - keeps the hammer from falling on the firing pin - just requires that you pull the hammer back to full cock before you take a shot.

Yes trigger free play - called marlin trigger flop - there's a fix for it on the Marlin forums though it works just fine the way it is.

The half-cock notch is for carrying should you have a live round in the chamber, or sitting on stand, etc. The trigger is two-piece by design so as to work in conjunction with the lever safety. So long as you have a crisp trigger I wouldn't worry about it.

The half-cock notch and full-cock notch for the sear are evident in these pictures -

Marlin-cutaway-diag.jpg

HPIM2034.jpg

The Marlin trigger is two-piece. The Wild West trigger is two-piece as well in order to work in conjunction with the lever safety, only it uses a small spring for tension to eliminate that "flop." 

I recently got a Marlin 336 30-30 and a Rossi M92 .44 mag. I have put ~30 rounds through each and in becoming familiar with them, I have a few questions.

First, what are the purposes of the half-cock position?

Second, if I am hunting, can I load the chamber and then de-cock the hammer and let it rest on the pin? Would it still fire after re-cocking the hammer?

Third, the Marlin trigger has some free play forward of its firing position, in other words, if I push it forward, it 'wiggles'. None of my other guns do this, is this normal?

Congrats!

Here is the link to a great forum for all your questions present and future!

http://www.marlinowners.com/forum/

Have Fun!

Bob