i have the ictch for some Crabs :resent:    Can anyone recomend a good spot where i can rent a small boat for the day with the hopes of catching me some blue claw crabs..  i usedto go to moby dicks and beckers but i hear the are no longer in bussiness..

any info would be great 

thanks

I was talking to a friend of my moms just last weekend who is a commercial crabber down here near the nuclear plant and he told me that the crabbing is terrible right now. Not sure where you're located. Crabbing usually gets better in mid to late July.

I saw some of the best crabs of my life in the Navesink last year. You can rent a boat from Oceanic Marina in Rumson. Also, up the river a bit is the Red Bank Marina. Good people at both spots and GREAT crabbing!!

If you have access to your own small boat for the day, put in at Blackberry Bay Park in Oceanport and crab the Shrewsbury and its small adjacent coves, Increadible crabbing to be had there, too.

Good Luck!!

I would recommend that you take a ride down to Maryland where crabs are what is good there. I haven't had a good crab or crabcake since I left Maryland. All the carbcakes that people rave about here are 50% bread crumbs. Jumbo lump? not available here. If you have an itch to hang a chicken neck overboard a rowboat rental, have at it, but you'll never get your fill. You should wait until the heat rolls in; the crabs don't come out of the sand until then.

Skipper's Pier Restaurant & Dock Bar They have all you can eat #2s when crabs are in...+ a nice place on the water to hang out, drink and eat crabs.

I would recommend that you take a ride down to Maryland where crabs are what is good there. I haven't had a good crab or crabcake since I left Maryland. All the carbcakes that people rave about here are 50% bread crumbs. Jumbo lump? not available here. If you have an itch to hang a chicken neck overboard a rowboat rental, have at it, but you'll never get your fill. You should wait until the heat rolls in; the crabs don't come out of the sand until then.

At least for me, the crabs I catch end up in a pot of sauce then tossed onto a plate of Angel Hair ;-) If Im going to make crab cakes I buy the super lump cans at the supermarket. I agree, its too much work to pull the meat of the little guys I catch. (well, not too little in case fish and wildlife is reading) Nothing more relaxing then chicken on a string on a hot summer day!