TheMan

First Harley-Davidson

Good morning all. I will be making my first Motorcycle purchase in the next few weeks to a month. After all my options I have decided that the harley-Davidson sportster iron 883 is the bike I am going to purchase. This will be my first motorcycle I am ever purchasing. I am a beginner and have only rode a r6 a few times. If someone with riding experience has any input please provide, i want to know if this be a good first bike. I asked the dealer and they hit me with the "Everyone wants to upgrade in the first 6 months to a year." yay or nay? Thanks.

They are right. Most that start the love of riding want another.Dunno where you bought it, but my dealer in Bergen County provides lessons, safety, etc.

Good morning all. I will be making my first Motorcycle purchase in the next few weeks to a month. After all my options I have decided that the harley-Davidson sportster iron 883 is the bike I am going to purchase. This will be my first motorcycle I am ever purchasing. I am a beginner and have only rode a r6 a few times. If someone with riding experience has any input please provide, i want to know if this be a good first bike. I asked the dealer and they hit me with the "Everyone wants to upgrade in the first 6 months to a year." yay or nay? Thanks.
Sent from John's iPad 2 via Tapatalk HDTypos courtesy Apple...

I'm not a Harley man myself but if I had to choose one, that would be the one. I've been riding Japanese bikes for 10 years and this year I'm making the switch to something European and more comfortable.

As with any bike you get, get some gear. Don't be one of those guys riding around with a brain bucket, shorts, and flip flops on.

There are a ton of lightly used HD Sportsters because people buy one for the price and want bigger quickly thereafter. Save more and skip the loss on the trade-in. I liked the sportster too, but I looked like a gorilla humping a football on it. My Wide Glide was a much better fit.

Whenever someone asks me about getting a first bike or what not my first question is always, "how long have you been riding, including dirt bikes?"  Only because I always recommend learning to ride on the dirt first and if that is not possible find some empty lots, set up cones, etc. NJ streets are not the place to learn or hone riding skills. Riding should be second nature before hitting the streets that way 110% of your focus is on the morons around you. That way you don't end up an ER statistic. A friend of mine took the 2 day Riders Ed course and I was appalled at his skills after he passed. I almost fell off my bike when he told me he was in the top 3 and everyone below him passed also. On our first ride he fell over at a stop sign! lol 

As for Sporster vs fillintheblank, there is definitely merit to what the guy is saying but it all comes down to personal preference and what kind of riding you want to do. If it's the bike you really like then get it, it definitely isn't a bad choice for first bike if you have some experience. Just like a handgun, it helps to try one out first if possible. A Street Glide is a lot of bike. I own one and, having met you, I know we are roughly the same build. I don't think I would have wanted the Street Glide as my first bike. It weighs a ton, lumbers through turns, and is much more difficult to bring to a stop in an emergency than an 883. My SG is 07 with no ABS, I've ridden the newer ones and the ABS helps braking but there is still a 250lb difference in these bikes. Don't get me wrong, I love my SG and ride it exclusively, so much so that I sold my zx9 yesterday because I felt bad that it just sits in the garage. 

Also, Lunker makes an excellent point about not eating that immediate loss in resale value that comes with buying something brand new. HDs don't hold their value like they did years ago and the 883 is a bike that is probably easily found in great shape due to reason he mentioned.

I loved my Sportster. It was a lot of fun to ride, and nimble, not ricer nimble but easy to maneuver. I used it for commuting to NYC for 2 years. I think it a good first bike, but like Lunker said there are a ton of used ones out there that will save you some money. Do yourself a favor and take a beginners course. I have been riding for almost 40 years now in dirt and on the street and I still take an experienced riders course every few years just to see what bad habits I started having. Riders Edge has classes at Brookdale college. http://www.renj.com/

Good luck and be careful.

Beginner....

1st bike.....

Do yourself a favor......  Find a Kawasaki Ninja 500 ..... used for around $2500 ..... 

Ride it......  Drop it....  Learn on it....

Then once you decide what type of riding you want to do......   Sell it.... for probably around the same $2500( unless you really mangled it) ....

and then lay down some real monies on a long term ride.... 

It depends on what your after. The R6 and the 883 are at far ends of the spectrum. I think that actually a modern 600cc sport bike is a lot to start out with as a first ride although I know many that have done it. If cruising short hops is your thing with no real itch for performance riding, then the 883 may work for you. Something like the Yamaha FZ8 may be worth considering as a first ride.

Do you have a group of friends that already ride you are looking to join? I ask this because this may play into your selection. If they are all on sport bikes and you get an 883, you are likely going to find it a frustrating experience.

The advice you got on learning first is spot on.  I just came back from Bermuda where I rented a motor scooter - yea I know you are laughing.  But the closest thing I ever did to it was riding a moped once about 25 years ago.  Supposedly they must train you by law before they let you out, but that is a joke.  I went very slowly around a 50 foot circle three times shaking the whole way at maybe five miles an hour and passed.  Took it very slow and easy till I got my "sea legs" :)  By the end of a day and a half I had toured about every spot on the 22 mile island having put over 85 miles on the scooter.  By the time I was done I was fairly good at leaning into my turns and dealing with rush hour traffic.  Safety is task #1 !!!

I would go with a bigger bike after riding that sportster you will want more engine more comfort and more options in a few hundred miles of riding, if you like the sportster look at the 1200 custom Oh I just went back to the thread and seen this is your first bike. Have you ever rode a bike out on the Parkway or any 4 lanes highway? You will feel very small! I would definetly take the new rider course. I still think you should go with the biggest bike you feel comfortable on and stay away from Rt 9 in Lakewood!!!! My first street bike was a Suzuki Intruder 1400.

Do you definatley want a Harley? There is a big difference between an R6 and a Harley. You need to look hard at what type of riding you are really going to be doing. I always wanted to take long weekend rides but I couldn't as I had younger kids, so my riding was mostly local and some runs with the that the local dealer puts on and to Wildwood once a year. Your first bike is a huge deal so pick what the brain says not what the ego says.

My first harley was an FXDL I rode it hard for a few years and traded it in for a FLHX. I never thought I would own a bagger but the first time I rode the bagger I was hooked, the ride on the FLHX is like a Cadillac compared the the Camaro ride of the FXDL.

I think the Harley dealer lets you test ride the bikes, if so take out the Sportster and another Higher grade bike and see what you like. I hope you get something out of this reply as least made you think. So GOOD LUCK!! I always remember the smells the most while riding you can smell the restaurants and all kinds of things that you never knew where out there while you were in a car, also the bad ones too the horse and cow farms are bad!!!

I bought that same bike almost a year ago and it was my first bike too. Took some clases and they were exteemely helpful. Now I want another bikes... But I would not sale the Iron, still loving it and I'm convinced that I could not have choosen a better bike to learn on.

Good luck!!!

post-3244-137088562016_thumb.jpg

Whenever someone asks me about getting a first bike or what not my first question is always, "how long have you been riding, including dirt bikes?"  Only because I always recommend learning to ride on the dirt first and if that is not possible find some empty lots, set up cones, etc. NJ streets are not the place to learn or hone riding skills. Riding should be second nature before hitting the streets that way 110% of your focus is on the morons around you. That way you don't end up an ER statistic. A friend of mine took the 2 day Riders Ed course and I was appalled at his skills after he passed. I almost fell off my bike when he told me he was in the top 3 and everyone below him passed also. On our first ride he fell over at a stop sign! lol 

LOL...so true. I'll never forget the day my friend's older brother "graduated" from the riding class. He came home all excited with his license and asked to take my friend's bike out, 30 minutes later he pulled up to the house holding one of the side mirrors in his hand and sporting a dented tank and headlight.

If you want to buy a newer Sportster buy it used off craigslist. Chances are you will outgrow the bike, and want something bigger/more comfortable and more powerful. If you buy from a dealership you will never make your money back.

Take a beginners riding course, they teach you a lot of good stuff in a few days.

My first bike was a kawasaki KZ 650 in 1980so was my second bike after i crashed the 1st one :-).

Like someone said, buy a used 500 for cheap ,learn to ride on it,if you drop it who cares.

Once you feel comfortable riding ,go buy whatever bike you want. after my first couple of years riding jap bikes

i went to harley and never looked back, I have a street glide and i ride it all over.

Nick fyi i rode 872 miles to western NC in 11.5 hours on my SG and it was like driving in a convertible.

BMW's are incredible bikes but i like my harleys

Beginner....

1st bike.....

Do yourself a favor......  Find a Kawasaki Ninja 500 ..... used for around $2500 ..... 

Ride it......  Drop it....  Learn on it....

Then once you decide what type of riding you want to do......   Sell it.... for probably around the same $2500( unless you really mangled it) ....

and then lay down some real monies on a long term ride.... 

Best advice you will ever get.  The thread can be closed now.  And don't forget good gear.  Full face helmet, jacket and overpants, gloves and boots.  

buy used don't be quick to"upgrade" most people can't ride worth a shit and trade up for a 1000# bike.

take riders saftey course hone your skills,take exp rider, you will soon  ride circles around the bigger bikes.

in a few years you can sell the sporty for what you paid for it. or keep it .

btw I've been riding 20yr still have my sporty (Buell) and i'm 6'2 300# more fun than any of the other bikes i have.

why is it that to "harley guys" nothing matters other than how big the bike is?

ive got 3 years on mine, old man has been knocking around on his for quite a while now. "Upgrading" dosnt necessarily mean buying a bigger bike or slapping more chrome on it ya know

i would encourage the 1200 though

Not just a matter of a small bike, but if you want to start out with a HD, then a Sportster, while small, is also the cheapest of their line. Affordable for almost anyone, especially if used.

why is it that to "harley guys" nothing matters other than how big the bike is?

ive got 3 years on mine, old man has been knocking around on his for quite a while now. "Upgrading" dosnt necessarily mean buying a bigger bike or slapping more chrome on it ya know

i would encourage the 1200 though

Sent from John's iPad 2 via Tapatalk HD

Typos courtesy Apple...

my advise would be not to buy an overpriced piece of crap. every harley owner i know is always working on their bike. i mean if you like to wrench then be my guest, but i personally like to ride more than wrench.

Yeah okay.

I think Sportsters are great bikes.  However, its not for everyone.  Its a very raw bike, and you don't have the comforts of a Goldwing.  But if I wanted all those gizmos I'd get a convertible.  For me an engine,  a tank and two wheels are all that is needed.

For power to weight ratio they are great and handle great as far as Harleys go(FXR and XR are better).  I've  got a 1988 1200(first year of the 1200) had mine for about 4 years and I've traveled quite a bit on it.  Long trips up to Maine weren't bad and I'm 6 feet tall; all I needed were highway pegs and I'm comfortable.

Long term I would like to get it a garage mate in terms of a Shovelhead Bobber and maybe a Buell Ulysses.

Ive been up and down the line on bikes.

The idea of "upgrading" is familiar, but after a number of years I am loving my new Honda NC700X.

I love to commute on the bike. If I was planning on doing rides across the country I would not own it. I have my Virago for that if I need to.

So I would advise, seriously consider the kind if riding you are looking to do. Long distance, commuting, weekend warrior. No harm no foul with any of those.

But I wish I had considered the bike I was planning to commute with before "upgrading" just because. The Sportster is a great commuter, and although the seat time might be lower per day, a commuter will rack up many more miles in a year than the bike made to take two comfortably to California.

I hope this helps.

And BTW, I could keep a Sportster for a long long time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk