fatty

Armslist genius... asking for a backdoor firearm sale in NJ

So I just got a message from some fool responding to my armlist ad asking to do a handgun sale without any paperwork involved.

I find this hilarious to think some idiot out there would even ask that over the net WITH their own cell phone number...

The few times I've searched Armslist, I have seen FA and SBRs listed for sale in NJ. Needless to say, I don't want anything to do with that site.

I don't find anything wrong with armslist as long as you're careful.  I've sold a few things off that site with success and met some really cool, down to earth people no different than who i've met from this forum.

Give his phone number to your local police department and tell them he was trying to purchase a handgun from you without p2p and FID.  If anything it'll put him on their radar. 

this^^^ and

I have an italian 92FS for sale

nah, not on my want list. thanks for answering though.

Those 92's are popping up all over.

My personal opinion is its not a cop. Because they randomly asked you. That would be entrapment. I think is either an a**hole who can't pass a check or an anti trying to set u up. Either way I'm sure you'll make the right decision. Personally if they continue I'd turn em in. It's against the law

So I just got a message from some fool responding to my armlist ad asking to do a handgun sale without any paperwork involved.

I find this hilarious to think some idiot out there would even ask that over the net WITH their own cell phone number...

Some states that is perfectly legal!! I.e TEXAS.

I would just educate him. Many people are fearful, and with good reason, that paperwork will lead to confiscation or undue scrutiny from the government. Do we really want to gig someone by publishing his number? I would just gently explain to him the legalities of the issue, and tell him the implications of what he's asking. Some people are under the impression that a "loophole" exists, and that we can buy and sell unencumbered in NJ (paperwork optional). Maybe this is his first gun purchase since the pre-Brady-Bill seventies.

Im not going to publish his info... that seems a bit extreme.

I do get the feeling it could be an anti trying to set people up, but wouldn't they be crossing the line by initiating an illegal transfer?

I thought it was funny. The guy responds with "I dont have a permit. Sorry for wasting your time."

Some states that is perfectly legal!! I.e TEXAS.

In MOST states that is perfectly legal

I saw a sweet Colt 80 series 1911 for sale on there last week for $500. The ad was listed as in NJ. I emailed the seller to het his location and he said he was in Ohio and would ship free to me FFL once payment was received. Smelled like a scam to me.  Just got an email yesterday asking if I sent any money to this buyer because he scammed a few others in few states for this gun. 

If I ever used Armslist I would only do a face to face sale with another New Jersey resident. Even then I would make sure I am not driving to Camden with a pocketful of cash. 

http://www.armslist.com/posts/1710462/nj-rifles-for-sale--colt-government-model-series-80-mk-iv-1911--45-nr?preview=635058401940000000

Report him

Those 92's are popping up all over.My personal opinion is its not a cop. Because they randomly asked you. That would be entrapment. I think is either an a**hole who can't pass a check or an anti trying to set u up. Either way I'm sure you'll make the right decision. Personally if they continue I'd turn em in. It's against the law

I agree its not a cop. If this were an "undercover" gun buy the prosecution would need to prove you were predisposed to illegally selling the firearm. This is not the case here. If you offered to sell it to him illegally without him asking anything that would be a different story.

Tried to but no one from the firearms unit was available to answer questions or take anything down.

They must be to busy cracking down on all those people buying guns on the 29th day... Ironic how they're not around when you need to report a serious issue.

They must be to busy cracking down on all those people buying guns on the 29th day... Ironic how they're not around when you need to report a serious issue.

A lot of them are still involved in anti-looting patrols in shore towns.

A lot of them are still involved in anti-looting patrols in shore towns.

I was just taking a cheap shot. I just find it ridiculous that we have ALL of these Gun Laws, yet no one who can enforce them is around to take note.. That is the real kick in the pants... and if this guy manages to get a gun and kill someone... they will demand more gun laws! sorry , rant off. I dont blame the unit, or the Staties in general, i blame the damn state and our legislators to dumb to realize what the real issue is..