AMScott

Dad wants to give me his guns......

My Dad would like to give me his 2 38 revolvers.... (S&W and a Colt)......   He had these 2 pistols back in the 1960's when he did some part time police work..... Dad is 80 years old and would like to give them to me now.   Do I need P2P's to take legal possession ? Thanks.....

That was my thought exactly, Like I'm December 28th so I'd still be S.O.L. Maybe V-day??

Actually, I've found a brilliant solution. His father can give him one gun on December 25, 2013, and the second one on December 19, 2014. Call it the "One Gun Per Year" plan.

however, no P2P is required if you inherit them down the road.... 

13:54-1.13 Firearms passing to heirs or legatees 

(a) Notwithstanding the provisions of this subchapter concerning the acquisition of a firearm, a permit to purchase a  handgun or a firearms purchaser identification card shall not be required of an heir or legatee for the passing of a firearm, upon the death of its owner. A person so acquiring ownership may retain the firearm if he or she meets the requirements 
of N.J.A.C. 13:54-1.5 and 1.6. 

(b) If an heir or legatee is not qualified to acquire a firearm, he or she may retain ownership of the firearm for the 
purpose of sale for a period of 180 days, which period may be extended by the chief of police or the Superintendent. 
During such period the firearm must be placed in the custody of the chief of police or Superintendent.

however, no P2P is required if you inherit them down the road.... 

13:54-1.13 Firearms passing to heirs or legatees [/size]

(a) Notwithstanding the provisions of this subchapter concerning the acquisition of a firearm, a permit to purchase a  [/size]handgun or a firearms purchaser identification card [/size]shall not be required of an heir or legatee for the passing of a firearm, [/size]upon the death of its owner. A person so acquiring ownership may retain the firearm if he or she meets the requirements [/size]of N.J.A.C. 13:54-1.5 and 1.6. [/size]

(b) If an heir or legatee is not qualified to acquire a firearm, he or she may retain ownership of the firearm for the [/size]purpose of sale for a period of 180 days, which period may be extended by the chief of police or the Superintendent. [/size]During such period the firearm must be placed in the custody of the chief of police or Superintendent.[/size]

And out of curiosity what are these requirements?

Thank you but I was referring to the requirements for inheriting the firearm? Since you do not need the permits etc

None I believe you don't even need an fpid. My buddy inherited a bunch of handguns when his dad passed and still can't take them to a range because he's waiting on his card

Sent from my hidden under ground bunker between Taco Bell and the dry cleaner

None I believe you don't even need an fpid. My buddy inherited a bunch of handguns when his dad passed and still can't take them to a range because he's waiting on his card

I'm aware the FID and permits are unnecessary but it states "A person so acquiring ownership may retain the firearm if he or she meets the requirements"

I'm aware the FID and permits are unnecessary but it states "A person so acquiring ownership may retain the firearm if he or she meets the requirements"

I thought the requirements were the same as if said person was going to apply for a F.I.D.. ie: if I had a child that wouldn't pass a mental background check or was a convicted criminal I could not will my guns to him

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

IMO, requirements means not a felon, wifebeater, alcoholic, or druggie. Etc.

You do not need an FPID card or pistol permits to inherit firearms, but they need to be willed to you directly if you aren't the next of kin.

but they need to be willed to you directly if you aren't the next of kin.

This.

Have your father will them explicitly to you. 

Then go and do the application,  if your dad is fine when permits eventually come in,  do a OGAM exemption.  If (God Forbid) your father passes while waiting to get permits, you will not need them.

Thank you but I was referring to the requirements for inheriting the firearm? Since you do not need the permits etc

You do not need to apply for the permits, you just need to meet the requirements referenced.  If you do not meet them, and you accept the firearms, you are subject to prosecution.  If you actually meet the requirements, you need do nothing.  Meeting the requirements does not mean that you need to apply, you just meet them.

Basically that you're not a prohibited person - i.e. felon, misdemeanor dv, mentally ill etc. 

(a) Notwithstanding the provisions of this subchapter concerning the acquisition of a firearm, a permit to purchase a handgun or a firearms purchaser identification card shall not be required of an heir or legatee for the passing of a firearm, upon the death of its owner. A person so acquiring ownership may retain the firearm if he or she meets the requirements of N.J.A.C. 13:54-1.5 and 1.6.

The section quoted had a funny break in the paragraph. Read with the line break removed, the section calls for the requirements of N.J.A.C. 13:54-1.5 and 1.6.

Why does he need a card to take them to the range?

Taking guns to range is ok just be careful about ammo. Without the fpid card you're not supposed to "acquire" handgun ammo but I believe its ok to buy at/from the range to use only there but IANAL so do due dilegence and check that out if it applies.