dajonga

Talk me into a Marlin Lever in .30-30 or .357

Nothing political at all, but I have decided that black guns are not my thing. I sold off my CX4 to my brother last week, the only gun I had that could be considered "black".

Methinks I am a walnut and blue kinda guy. Maybe even a cowboy at heart :)

I am seriously thinking about a Marlin 336 in .30-30 or a 1894 in .357/.38 as my one, and only, rifle. Leaning towards 336.

My developing mantra is to keep it simple, ala, "Beware the man who only has one gun. He probably knows how to use it!"

I know to look out for the Remlins. I hear they are getting better, but I think I would prefer to hold out for a used, not abused .30-30. I know that .357 is cheaper, but I am not gonna shoot a huge amount of either caliber on a regular basis, so .30-30 should not be too prohibitively expensive.

Opinions?

I've been thinking ALOT about a .357 lever gun for awhile..

(not selling my black guns for heavens sake, lets not get crazy)

The Marlin 1894 is a beauty to be sure, but alas, out of my price range for now

I'd certainly cast my vote for the .357, as that would allow you to easily justify a single action .357 cowboy pistol too

I just got an Umberti 1866 yellowboy in .38 cal and I love it. Pretty expensive though compared to the ones you mentioned but you see where the money goes when you hold one and crank the lever. These are built like tanks and the action is superb. It makes up for the cost in price ammo.

Personally if I were looking to go the lower cost route I would buy a Henry over either of the two you mention.

Another option for you is Rossi in .357-.38 cal as well.

As for 30/30 ammo it is pricey and goes for close to a buck a round. Unless you plan on hunting then get the pistol caliber instead.

I'm looking to get a 357 lever to go with my revolvers but still have a Rossi 30-30. At shorter ranges you can get 357 up to the the energy levels of 30-30 but past 100 yds the 30-30 rules between the two AFAIC. Buckhorn sights are okay but a receiver sight cuts your group sizes in half. If you mount a scope keep it low like 3 power or so as the 30-30 I reload and usually use a lead bullet load for casual shooting. Not a powerhouse about like a hot 357 load out of a revolver but the brass lasts forever.

I may know where you can get what you're looking for. Sent you a PM.

Nothing political at all, but I have decided that black guns are not my thing. I sold off my CX4 to my brother last week, the only gun I had that could be considered "black".

Methinks I am a walnut and blue kinda guy. Maybe even a cowboy at heart :)

I am seriously thinking about a Marlin 336 in .30-30 or a 1894 in .357/.38 as my one, and only, rifle. Leaning towards 336.

My developing mantra is to keep it simple, ala, "Beware the man who only has one gun. He probably knows how to use it!"

I know to look out for the Remlins. I hear they are getting better, but I think I would prefer to hold out for a used, not abused .30-30. I know that .357 is cheaper, but I am not gonna shoot a huge amount of either caliber on a regular basis, so .30-30 should not be too prohibitively expensive.

Opinions?

The Marlin 30-30 336 is a great gun and if you are looking for a used one PM me as I have a 336ws that we can discuss. Brand new in the box condition and 200 rounds of ammo with it. Let me know. Great rifles and I think one of the best deer rifles out there still.

Rossi 357, half the price of the marlin, that buys alot of ammo, plus the design of the 92 reciever is stronger than the 94, not that it matters in either gun, but it lets you know 92 is not a weak design. As for 30-30, if your going to be shooting beyond 100 yards, it may be the choice to get.

I'm trying to make a similar decision, with Henrys.  The 30-30 would be a better caliber if I ever needed to hunt with it, I suppose, but for fun shooting isn't the recoil of the .357 much easier and the ammo cheaper?   Fun gun = .357,  might hunt with it someday = 30-30

I too like the look and reputation of older Marlins but unfortunately lever guns and high power shooting isn't my thing.

Getting something in pistol grade caliber, whether it be a Marlin or the Rossi as suggested offers you the option to shoot cowboy action at CJRPC, if you like. 

I've got a brand new (used) Marlin 336 in 35 caliber if you have interest.  It's 35 +/- years old and still has the genuine walnut sticker on the forestock. lol

I have owned the Marlin (Remlin) 1894C and Rossi 92 in 357. I will take the Rossi in a heartbeat (sold the Marlin, still have the Rossi), and I have never been a fan of Taurus. They got this one right though. Steve's Gunz sells all the accessories you could want and has a video on giving it an action job. My big loop carbine lever is smooth as butter and with peep sights and a fiber optic front sight is very accurate. I hit steel at 100 yards no problem with magnum loads. Cowboy loads require a bit of hold over.

I got a Marlin 336 and a Rossi .44 mag, and to be honest, I like the fit and finish and overall perceived quality of the little Brazilian better. What a nice handling and handy carbine. From day one the Rossi's action was slick as a pimp in Harlem on a saturday night, while the Marlin's action is sticky and clunky in comparison (esp right at the start of the cycle).

I'm going to get a Rossi Rio Grand 30-30 as my main hunter, and another .44mag to give to my son when he graduates HS or maybe as a reward if he performs well on his golf team next season...

Hey Lunker, if you read this, could you tell us more about your sights, eg, what is a laser optic front?

I wish everyone would back off the 1894c Marlins.

I want one SOOO bad....but can not stomach the price considering they used to be a <$500 gun.

Plus, I've killed many a deer with my dad's 1894c .357.

they can still be found for sub 500 in good condition

If you really cannot decide, get both.  :-D

My 1894 is in .30-30 and I love it.  My recommendation would be the same.  The only drawback is that it has a stupid amount of felt recoil for some reason (compared to modern rifles in similar calibers).  Felt recoil is comparable to a Mosin Nagant.  If you want something for kids to shoot or something you are going to shoot all day, then you might consider the ligher .357 cartridge.