thug the bunny

Turkeys with a 10/22

Thinking of heading over to PA for fall or spring gobblers. I think I remember reading in PA's hunting regs (OMG they are complex) that you can use rimfire, centerfire, or shotgun for them.

Would my 10/22 be enough to efficiently put down a big bird say out to 100yd?

With a head shot, and then wait until he finishes running.

I hunt in PA, and as far as I know you are not allowed to hunt with a semi auto .22, so no 10/22:

§ 141.22. Small game.

(a) Permitted devices. It is lawful to hunt small game, except woodchucks with the following devices:

(1) A manually operated rifle or handgun. The firearm must be .23 caliber or less, that projects single-projectile ammunition.

For Turkey, the law states:

§ 141.45. Turkey.

(a) Fall turkey season.

(1) Permitted devices. It is lawful to hunt turkey during the fall turkey season with any of the following devices:

(i) A manually operated centerfire, rimfire or muzzleloading firearm using single-projectile ammunition, except as otherwise prohibited in paragraph (2)(i).

I don't think hunting turkeys with a .22 is ethical at all. Please if you want to be an ethical hunter you need to consider the animal, and shooting a turkey with a .22 bullet is not right. Trying to hit a turkey in the head is very difficult, hitting it in the head with a shotgun can be difficult so do yourself and the turkey a favor and don't do it!!

I hunt in PA, and as far as I know you are not allowed to hunt with a semi auto .22, so no 10/22:

§ 141.22. Small game.

(a) Permitted devices. It is lawful to hunt small game, except woodchucks with the following devices:

(1) A manually operated rifle or handgun. The firearm must be .23 caliber or less, that projects single-projectile ammunition.

For Turkey, the law states:

§ 141.45. Turkey.

(a) Fall turkey season.

(1) Permitted devices. It is lawful to hunt turkey during the fall turkey season with any of the following devices:

(i) A manually operated centerfire, rimfire or muzzleloading firearm using single-projectile ammunition, except as otherwise prohibited in paragraph (2)(i).

As noted, your 10/22 is a no-go. Fall is the only time rifle is permitted, and in certain zones it's still restricted. Hitting a turkey in his topknot would be quite a feat, since that is the portion of him that bobs, weaves, dips and ducks continuously!

Regs.:

http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal/server.pt/document/1337623/page35_turkey_season_bag_limits_pdf

PS - Turkey is considered "big game" in PA

I don't think hunting turkeys with a .22 is ethical at all. Please if you want to be an ethical hunter you need to consider the animal, and shooting a turkey with a .22 bullet is not right. Trying to hit a turkey in the head is very difficult, hitting it in the head with a shotgun can be difficult so do yourself and the turkey a favor and don't do it!!

This is exactly why I asked - I didn't really think .22LR would be efficient or ethical. But it's a non-issue anyway since semi-auto is a no go. (And yes, I have about half a box of Federal bulk, and a couple blocks of CCI Stingers; I didn't know .22LR was so coveted)

So, next question: would .44 mag or .44 spec out of a 16" lever be too much for turkeys?

I would have a hard time hitting a turkey in the head at 100 yds without some sort of bench rest.   Most .22s are targeted in at 50 yds and have about a 4" drop at 100 yds.  A cross wind of 5mph causes almost 3" of drift.  A little wind, a little misjudge of the distance and even if you're a great shot, you've just wounded the bird instead of killed it.

This is the surprise of turkeys I get every year passing through my yard. Normally its just a few, or up to 35 and counting.

Looks like my yard the past two years.  Before that, never saw one turkey in 15 years.

I got em too. It's pretty awesome what a comeback they have made. 15 yrs ago just seeing one would have been a big deal.

I have pics of some eating birdseed from my hand. How the heck do you insert images?

When you reply to topic at the bottom right corner click on more reply options.

I have never really thought about hunting turkeys with anything other than a shotgun. I found some CCI 44mag/spc shells. I have no idea how they work but you could probably find some sort of video on utube, Shotgun is the tool for turkey hunting!!

Here they are...

This close... you just wring it's neck. Seriously, a 22 lr should work as long as you are patient enough to get them close to you for a head/neck shot. Used to shoot undomesticated chicken with .22 air rifle, iron sights. Wait till its really out in the open so you can see where it finally falls.