nuclearheli

NICS Goes Live Monday - FFL Procedures

Much to my surprise and that of my fellow FFL holder's the NICS backlog is rapidly being cleared out, in preparation for Monday I guess? I received a call this week from NICS clearing all of my pending NICS checks some of which were only a couple of days old. I was told by the NICS agent that the phone system was going live Monday. Instead of speculating and wondering about the procedures I contacted Champion Communications. Here is the response I received from Melissa at Champion for FFL's that are already registered with them to send faxes.

You will dial 877-743-3000 and it will prompt you through the steps you will enter your credit card information and at that time you can get a pin so that each time you call you will not have to enter all the credit card information all over again.

According to her you must be registered with them already and authorized to send faxes. I am guessing you must call from the authorized number you have for faxing in the information to obtain your pin. So call from your fax machine!! That's the procedure to follow on Monday. I wonder how long that line will be busy Monday? 

I don't use no credit card.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

I guess whatever arrangements you have with them for payment (cash on account I guess) will still work. I am only repeating what she said.

I guess whatever arrangements you have with them for payment (cash on account I guess) will still work. I am only repeating what she said.

Just like any normal service. They send me a bill and I give them what I know I owe them. No more.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

Much to my surprise and that of my fellow FFL holder's the NICS backlog is rapidly being cleared out, in preparation for Monday I guess? I received a call this week from NICS clearing all of my pending NICS checks some of which were only a couple of days old. I was told by the NICS agent that the phone system was going live Monday. Instead of speculating and wondering about the procedures I contacted Champion Communications. Here is the response I received from Melissa at Champion for FFL's that are already registered with them to send faxes.

You will dial 877-743-3000 and it will prompt you through the steps you will enter your credit card information and at that time you can get a pin so that each time you call you will not have to enter all the credit card information all over again.

According to her you must be registered with them already and authorized to send faxes. I am guessing you must call from the authorized number you have for faxing in the information to obtain your pin. So call from your fax machine!! That's the procedure to follow on Monday. I wonder how long that line will be busy Monday? 

No - Once you call and set-up your PIN, you can call the number from any location.

I use my I-phone. I have the NICS number in the contact, and then set the PIN to dial after a pause

this automatically dials you right in.

If the line is busy, you do not pay the NICS fee, unless they answer the phone - really quite easy!

No - Once you call and set-up your PIN, you can call the number from any location.

I use my I-phone. I have the NICS number in the contact, and then set the PIN to dial after a pause

this automatically dials you right in.

If the line is busy, you do not pay the NICS fee, unless they answer the phone - really quite easy!

How are you doing that? I called the number a short time ago and still got the recording we have been getting for the past six months. The number is not live yet how did you get set up already?

Just wondering during the purchase will the paperwork for the gun buyer be the same? Can this get done with just a buyers social number and skip the ridiculous questionnaire parts?

Same exact process. Actually you are not required to provide your SS#. That is optional.

Just wondering during the purchase will the paperwork for the gun buyer be the same? Can this get done with just a buyers social number and skip the ridiculous questionnaire parts?

Same exact process. Actually you are not required to provide your SS#. That is optional.

I was always told that the SS# portion was optional and sometime benificial to those who have common last name ie. Smith, Brown, etc...

I was always told that the SS# portion was optional and sometime benificial to those who have common last name ie. Smith, Brown, etc...

That's correct and what I said, you are not required to provide your SS#. It may be beneficial on NICS end I don't know. I have not run into any problems with those that don't want to submit their SS#.

That's correct and what I said, you are not required to provide your SS#. It may be beneficial on NICS end I don't know. I have not run into any problems with those that don't want to submit their SS#.

I actually had only one instance where I was delayed for about 2 hours. This is back when it was "instant" and the next time I placed my SS# on there and it was back in about 5 minutes. Not sure if it made a difference or they were just swamped the day it took 2 hours.

How many NICS do they run a day?  How many people will be answering the phones?  How often will you get a busy signal or put on hold for three hours????  Inquiring minds want to know.

How many NICS do they run a day?  How many people will be answering the phones?  How often will you get a busy signal or put on hold for three hours????  Inquiring minds want to know.

Someone is a tad inquisitive this morning.

This will be great for business across the state once we get back to instant checks. I would be much more willing to travel the state looking for a certain gun knowing that I can take it home that day. Lots of shops up north to check out. 

With little or no fanfare NICS went back on line today as promised. It was a pleasure submitting checks and getting a response in a minute or two. No busy signals, no long hold times, response inside of a minute or two, pleasant operators. Now if the country can find a solution to the ammo supply problems things may finally return to normal.

Is it just a coincidence that the system is fixed when legislation is supposed to be voted on?

This is EXACTLY what I was telling the wife!  They want us to forget they just pushed that bill through the budget commitee and praise the crap out of NJ for doing what they were suppose to be doing all along.......total diversion.  No way you can convinse me this isn"t a set up.

Would anyone know why If bought a Pistol on Thursday of last week and I still do not have it.  I called and they said to check back early next week.  The told me 3-5 days and its been 7 days already.  Im getting alittle itchy.  If its instant now why would I have to been cleared already?

Is it just a coincidence that the system is fixed when legislation is supposed to be voted on?

I don't believe in coincidence.

The NJSP has been answering all the tweets that it received since monday about the #fixthenics campaign.  I have been volleying back with "it only took 6 months to fix"  and "it took 6 months after you ignored us for the first three months" etc.

I expect a visit from the black and whites any minute (black helicopters and white drones).

Would anyone know why If bought a Pistol on Thursday of last week and I still do not have it.  I called and they said to check back early next week.  The told me 3-5 days and its been 7 days already.  Im getting alittle itchy.  If its instant now why would I have to been cleared already?

Sorry to say but you should have just waited until Monday. Last Thursday all NICS were still being done by FAX and you are probably still in line with the remaining backlog of faxes. If you waited until Monday it would have been on the phone instant. I told all my customers late last week that I would hold their NICS until Monday and submit on Monday this way I would not fax any requests any longer and be waiting without knowing what to tell my customers.