Sign in to follow this  
Bully

Anyone Ever Put Together a "Kit" Knife?

I probably should have done this BEFORE I ordered the kit, but better late than never...

I picked up a knife kit from Texas Knife Supply.  Cool little Tanto style folder.  Ordered some scale material as well.  Just wondering if anyone has ever gone this route and how it turned out.  Any issues with durability?  Quality of components?  Any issues with the process?  Happy with the outcome?

If you have pictures please post them.  I would like to see them.

C

I have never done a folder but I have bought quite a few fixed blade blanks and put the hilt and /or handle on and shaped it. I have found out the hard way to stay away from the cheap blanks made in India. The metal was super brittle. As with anything you get what you pay for.  

If you bought a modern style kit, it's pretty straight forward. Very little amount of tools and fitting is required to get it all together as everything is held together with screws.

When you tighten the screws, there's an order to get it right and have the blade centered to the liners. First is to tighten the pivot screw tightly so the blade is snug, clamping the liners, and scales depending on design, together. Make sure the blade is in the closed position before you start tightening the stand offs. Start tightening from the center screw and work your way out to the end. If the blade is not centered in between the liners, put pressure on the whole assembly to bend the liner till the blade is centered and tighten the screws. I usually prop up one side of the knife on a non-slip surface like wood scrap or work bench. Putting pressure on the center to bend the liners. Once the screws are tight, the blade should be centered when you release pressure. Use some blue Loctite if you want to make sure eveything stays secure. Loosen the pivot screw to the desired tension. Open the blade to make sure the locking mechanism works. If not, you'll need to reprofile the contact points to allow it to lock. When it finally does lock, clamp the blade in a vise and put pressure on the scale to make sure the lock works properly and that the blade's not going to close on you when you're using it.

If the scales are pre-cut and shaped, they should just screw on as well. If they are not, you'll need to shape them first before assembling. You can assemble everything without the blade and shape the scales to the liners with a belt grinder or what ever tool you plan to use. It's ok if you grind the liners a little. It'll just provide a nice seamless finish. If you have G10 scales, remember to peel off the top layer after shaping to bring out the texture for grip.

If you want to get fancy, try doing some decorative filing on the edge of the liner and blade.

Don't worry, if you screw up, unassembly it and try again. Buy new scales if you screw them up. I do overhauls on all my folders by disassembling them for a deep cleaning ever so often. Have fun with it. You'll be surprised how easy it can be.

Twong.

Thanks for the tips.  I bought the kit without scales specifically so I can make my own.  I purchased some G10 for the job as I like the feel of it in hand and the way it looks.  And yeah, I may try a little file work as well.  We'll see.

Do you have any pics of the kit knives you've put together?

C

Sorry, I'm just a tinkerer so never built a kit. I've only disassembled my production and custom folders. I have refinished some short comings from some knives I received. Tweaked them to the way I like them. Adjust the lock bar tension, detent hole, reprofile the blade, refinishing, etc. Sometimes after disassembly, the blade alignment's off when you put it back together.

If I had the gear, I'd start making my own. I've done filing work on a project fixed blade I picked up from a show. I'll snap some pics to share.

Here is my kit:

Got the kit from Texas Knife Supply. All in, about 40+ to the door. Kit seems pretty nice for what it is. The blade is ground on one side only, which is a bit of a bummer but for 40 bux, about what I would expect. I got some black linen scales for it and I won't be using the bolsters. Also, there was not a clip in the package which I mistakenly thought there would be. Not a worry as I plan on getting a piece of steel for a fixie build shortly.

Anyway, wish me luck. I will post pics as appropriate.

Christopher

PS: Twong, really nice little piece.  Really nice.

002-8_zps1d5e1a49.jpg

Thanks. Funny, every time I look at the kits, I look at the same one you got. Just never bought the kit. I got a piece of cheap Home Depot carbon steel that I plan in the future to grind my own fixed blade and attempt to do some tempering. The profile is a twist between an old style Southeast Asian jungle knife with some modern twists. It's currently sketched and ready for the grind. Just need a grinder now. DOH!

Topher: FYI. The tanto is suppose to be a chisel grind. Intentional to provide a strong point for penetration and a strong edge. I've tried double beveling them and it's just not the same. Keep it chiseled. Besides, sharpening them is WAY easier than the double bevels.

Hey Twong.

Yup.  I finally figured that out.  Me dumm. 

Anyway, did a little work on the liners.  Reaching the lock was awkward.  Put a little relief in with the Dremel. 

Also just spent MORE money at Texas Knife.  Bought my stepson a Damascus folder, to which he contributed.  Got a piece of steel as well and some more handle material.  Still a lot less than a 1911 kit.  So, that's good. 

Pics:

004-6_zps0bf376bd.jpg

C

I botched the first set of scale material, so I have been waiting for the new stuff to come in. It arrived on Thursday. I got to work getting the scales made. Cut them out, shaped them, and they are ready for final sanding and countersinking the screws. Then, I'll assemble and we should be all set.

Pics will be put up in a bit.

C

001_zps75079f6e.jpg

002_zps18d336a6.jpg

Looks great. Not as bad as you expected right? Are they making carbon fiber clips now?

Sorry it took so long to reply.

Yep,  6.95 from Texas Knife.  Thanks for the kind words.

C