seamusSU

Thoughts on 10/22 takedown?

I'm planning to pick up a 10/22 and like the idea of the 10/22 takedown but I'd like to hear from anyone who has one.

Do you like it?

Is it worth the extra $ vs. a standard 10/22?

Any other things that I'm not thinking of?

I'm sure there are lots of things your not thinking of, but most of those would be irrelevant. As to the 10/22, it is a great rifle. Is the takedown worth the extra money? Depends. I'm sure it is more than worth the extra money for some, and for others, not so much. 

Do I like it? Of course. Who doesn't like 10/22's?!?!

I have a Ruger 10/22 take down..  I love It and felt it was worth the extra money.. I got the takedown because why not? Its awesome looking to me and the fact that it Breaks down and you can put it in a backpack sold me on the gun.  I don't own a standard 10/22, but if I did I would much rather play with the ruger takedown.. If you like the tactical look get a takedown  but if you like normal wood gun get the standard and save some money for ammo or other toys. Both are nice guns but I rather have something different.   Also if you get a 10/22  Get a tri mag set up its so awesome!

This would be my first 10/22 and first rifle. A big part of the appeal for me is not carrying it in an obvious rifle case. I live in a large apartment building and I don't want the neighbors freaking out if I'm carrying a rifle case in the halls/elevator.

...And the idea of a takedown rifle just seems cool. Maybe I've seen too many action movies

Yup. I paid 375 for mine which is not a lot. I Think Cabelas might have them for 350 if they are in stock.  I would say get one.. never had a problem with mine and you will be playing with it a lot.. taking it apart and back together its so much fun,  also since you live it apartment they little bag would be perfect.

I live in a condo and more than once I have had an awkward encounter when going to/from my car with rifle cases in hand.  The neighbors are all super friendly now lol.  I can see why you would like something more inconspicuous.  

As far as the 10/22 I don't own one but it's on my list.  

The alternative is a regular 10/22 and use a guitar case to carry it. Still incognito, but the takedown just seems cooler.

I also use either a regular backpack or a laptop style bag as range bags so nobody thinks anything of it.

My brother has one, its a nice accurate rifle! Its about $100 dollars more for the takedown vrs the standard. Personally its worth the money since its stainless instead of blued and you get the compact case and takedown features. The takedown also comes in several colors such as black, blue (US Olympic Team) and the just are going to release Multicam Camo. I think Bangers Sport Shop in Winslow had a few of the blue ones in stock not to long ago. However, if the takedown is to far from your budget the regular 10/22's are nice also. They can be found at Dicks for around $230-$240 and if you like wood stocks they are a nice option since the take down is synthetic. Overall, I think you can't really do wrong with either it just depends on your budget $350 for the takedown rifle only or $240 for a non takedown then add a cheap scope and you might just come under the $350 price point. Personally though I like the takedown a bit more just for the features. I hope this helps! 

http://www.ruger.com/products/1022Takedown/models.html

http://www.guns.com/2012/07/27/ruger-usa-shooting-team-1022-takedown-talo-exclusive/

http://www.specialtysportsandsupply.com/?p=1121

I'm also interested in the 10/22 Takedown but want to make it a Liberty Training Rifle for Appleseed.

Anyone know if that will work or am I better off getting a regular 10/22 on account of adding the sling, TechSights, maybe scope, etc. to make it a LTR?

I have mine for a short time and its great. I also live in a building complex, so walking outside with it is no issue. When it's slapped together the rifle feels tight, not loose at all. I had 1 bullet casing get caught while ejecting, from 400+ rounds. I have used CCI 100% and Federal with 1 Failure to eject.  Got mine from Kentucky Gun Co, wish I could have found a local place that carried it and wasn't charging $400 for it. But if you do decide on it, HAVE FUN.

I got to play with one very quickly at Ramsey Outdoor in Succasunna and was impressed.  Takedown is incredibly simple (obviously) and it feels very solid - I did not notice any movement like you might expect from a 2-part gun.  Size of it taken down is impressively small.

Anyone mounted a scope to one? Would that add any significant length to the rear section, or would a compact scope not add to the overall length?

I got one for xmas but sold it. Once the novelty wore off I realized that I had absolutely no need for a take down rifle. Plus the case it comes with is kind of bulky so that it can hold a lot of accessories. I must say that it does hold its point of aim each time you put it back together so if you have a need for a takedown rifle, get it. If not, save your money and get the regular 10/22.

It is also much nicer to clean the take-down 10/22, and Hogue is going to be releasing an overmolded stock for it sometime within the next year, hopefully.

Have one as well and agree on all points ......only 2 things I will add is I put the Nikon 22lr bdc scope on it... And it won't fit in the bag without popping off scope,... Possibly other shorter ones will..... And secondly as of yet there's no "tacticool" stocks for it like the regular model..that I know of..I wasn't looking to do hat so it didn't affect my purchase...

Edit... I wasn't referring to the hogue that silent patriot mentioned... More the archangel etc... Look forward to seeing the hogue!

I was at Tanner's in PA and I asked about one they had in stock. It had a camouflage stock and it had the threaded barrel with a flash suppressor on it. I wanted to buy it but the young man at the counter said no that it was not Jersey legal. I am 99% sure he is wrong, but I refuse to argue with someone about NJ's laws, I'll just get it in NJ instead.

I would like to get some opinions which should be no problem on this site.

I'm in the market for a folding/take down .22.

I have narrowed my search down to the Ruger Take Down and the Kel-Tec SU 22

The Kel-Tec is problematic since I can't find one in Jersey I need to have one transferred in then have the threaded barrel welded and I can't find anyone who says with a certainty that the 26 round magazine that comes with most SU 22's can be pinned so I may have to purchase some Jersey legal mags.

All of this will cost me at a minimum 30% more than the Ruger.

All my research tells me the Ruger is a better firearm. It is more reliable easier to clean and has a very long history.

What it lacks it the "cool" factor of the Kel-Tec.

So which one would you get? An inquiring mind wants to know.

I was at Tanner's in PA and I asked about one they had in stock. It had a camouflage stock and it had the threaded barrel with a flash suppressor on it. I wanted to buy it but the young man at the counter said no that it was not Jersey legal. I am 99% sure he is wrong, but I refuse to argue with someone about NJ's laws, I'll just get it in NJ instead.

Yup, he's wrong.

On a semi-auto rifle, a flash suppressor is fine so long as you don't have one of the other evil features (see below).

A lot of people get hung up thinking flash suppressors are illegal because they're coming from the AR/AK perspective and those rifles already have evil feature #2 (pistol grip), so they can't also have evil feature #4.

In short, if you really want that rifle (the multi-cam is really nice) go back, bring a print out of the law and explain that it's TWO features not just one that makes a semi-auto long gun NJ illegal. If all that fails, ask for the manager.

Evil Features list:

i. A semi-automatic rifle that has the ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least two of the following:

(1) A folding or telescoping stock;

(2) A pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon;

(3) A bayonet mount;

(4) A flash suppressor or threaded barrel designed to accommodate a flash suppressor; and

(5) A grenade launcher;