Mach16lt

Lou's Firearms - Customer Review

Had one of the weirdest buying experiences this past week or so with Lou's Firearm's in Raritan.

Firstly, I'd like to start by saying that my experience may not be the same as everyone's, so please just take this with grain of salt. From the information that I was able to find about this shop, they had great reviews, especially for "novice" shooters. That combined with a large 1911 selection and proximity to home is why I chose to check out the shop.

That being said, I had a very odd experience from the moment I walked in the door.

When I walked into the shop for the first time, I wasnt greeted or even aknowledged by any of the 3 employes behind the counters... Granted, I guess I walked in during their lunch, because all of them had food spread out on their counters. So I stood in the middle of the store with these three guys just staring at me for a few awkward seconds, and introduced myself as someone who had called earlier interested in checking out their slection of 1911's.

At this point, one of the guys behind the counter just stared at me a few seconds more and then told me, rather dismissively, that what I was looking for was in the room I had already passed through.

By this point, I was already feeling pretty unwelcomed, so I thought I would just look at some guns through the glass and leave. However, one of the other associates, Chris, was kind enough to come over and really help me understand the different models and price ranges they had. He was great. He must have taken almost a dozen guns in and out of the case to let me take a look.

After about 20 mintues of talking, I felt confident that the model I wanted to buy was the Kimber TLE custom II. Again, Chris was great, absolutely no pressure in trying to close the deal, but I probably wouldnt of minded if he did. It was just weird that I had to ask all the questions. So I filled out my paperwork, bought some accessories and left knowing it would be about a week until my NICs came through.

A week later I called to check on my purchase. And after I had pleasantly greeted whoever it was on the phone, I expalined when I had purchased the gun, and why I was calling... I was met with about a 5 second pause... And after that, a pretty disdainful "So are you gonna give me a name?". I obliged, he said "It's in" and then I heard a rather abrupt "click"...

So the thing that bothers me most about this whole experience is when I went to go pick the gun up...

When I entered the store, I was met with the same exact blank stare from 3 guys behind the different counters. No greeting.. No aknowledgement... When I spoke to one of the guys behind the counter and told him I was there to pickup my firearm, he responded rather gruffly with "Name..." (I'm assuming this is who I spoke to on the phone)

He checked the list, found my box, handed it to me, and turned away to continue doing whatever it was he was doing before I had interupted him. And I walked out.

Now I understand some places have their regulars... and I really appreciate it when I find a business that I can frequent... But I dont know how this place expects people to become loyal customer to their store, when buying a $1200 peice of hardware doesnt even earn you a "Good afternoon" or a "Hey there, how can I help" when I come in to pick it up. There were other people who they seemed familiar with when they walked in, and they greeted them just fine. Me? I guess I pissed in somebody's cheerios.

Ultimately, I'm happy with the product I bought and the price I paid for it. But that wont convince me to come back to Lou's.

Sounds like you spoke to Marshall. He can run hot or cold and sometimes rubs me the wrong way. I assure you that Chris is a great guy to deal with.

I personally like the shop and stop in there when I can. Sorry about your experience. I hope you give them another shot.

Wow, did they thank you for your purchase when you left with the gun?? Must have hired some new guys.

Chris definitely did... Like I said he was really great to deal with. Very patient and really helpfull.

The other guy definitely did not seem thankful for my purchase by any means.

Just to add, its not to say that Marshall has never been helpful.  There are numerous occasions where he has or offered to go out of his way just to help me understand or see something.  I just don't think he's an overly friendly person at times. For better or worse.  

Just to add, its not to say that Marshall has never been helpful.  There are numerous occasions where he has or offered to go out of his way just to help me understand or see something.  I just don't think he's an overly friendly person at times. For better or worse.  

I can totally see that... And I'd just like to say that I really dont know the name of this guy so he may be Marshall or he may not be.... But there were other customers that came in that he seemed rather open to talking to. And I saw him going over some rather fine looking shotguns with a guy while I was in there the first time. Seemed like a rather pleasant discussion about skeet guns...

I was just taken aback by the unwelcoming attitude. The first rule to customer service is always greet your customers... 

I can totally see that... And I'd just like to say that I really dont know the name of this guy so he may be Marshall or he may not be.... But there were other customers that came in that he seemed rather open to talking to. And I saw him going over some rather fine looking shotguns with a guy while I was in there the first time. Seemed like a rather pleasant discussion about skeet guns...

I was just taken aback by the unwelcoming attitude. The first rule to customer service is always greet your customers...

I get that and totally agree as I have been critical of him (and other shops) in the past on this forum. It does seem to get less and less common the more you go back.

Like I said. I hope you give them another shot

It does seem to get less and less common the more you go back.

Like I said. I hope you give them another shot

Sorry. I can't agree here.

I'm not a fan of supporting businesses that act like they're doing me a favor by taking my money. I don't need the red carpet rolled out, but rudeness is out. 

If I wouldn't take that crap from a random guy in the street, I'm definitely not taking it from some guy whose salary I'm helping to pay. 

Sorry. I can't agree here.

I'm not a fan of supporting businesses that act like they're doing me a favor by taking my money. I don't need the red carpet rolled out, but rudeness is out.

If I wouldn't take that crap from a random guy in the street, I'm definitely not taking it from some guy whose salary I'm helping to pay.

I get what you're saying. The difference for me is Chris, and the fact that I don't think Marshall is at all malicious. Its hard to put into words but you I'll invite you to come in with me one day if you're ever in the area. I can say with a clear conscience that it is the best service I have received in any gun store.

Oddly enough the silver bullet is #2 but I've seen terrible reviews there lol. Go figure

First time I visited the store was last Tuesday with checker50. Yup I did get the blank stare from the 3 guys, it felt kinda awkward. Until the big dude started talking and I actually showed him that I have some kind of knowledge about the firearms he showed me. Then they opened up and started talking.

They are pretty good guys once you start talking to them and they have a ton of shotguns to choose from. They even showed me a few guns without asking.

Plus, They love the stickers on my rear window so they are cool in my book.

I had the same type of greeting when I walk in. I looked around for about 10 minutes, no one even acknowledged I was there, another guy came in around the 10 minute mark, all three greeted him and was very friendly to him, so I left and spent my money elsewhere.  I don't need people to kiss my ass, but a simple "Hi or Hello" would have been nice. Never again will I ever try to spend money there.

• Like 1

I get what you're saying. he difference for me is Chris, and the fact that I don't think Marshall is at all malicious. Its hard to put into words but you I'll invite you to come in with me one day if you're ever in the area. I can say with a clear conscience that it is the best service I have received in any gun store.

Oddly enough the silver bullet is #2 but I've seen terrible reviews there lol. Go figure

I think I'll actually take you up on that. I make it a point to support local gun shops and Lou's is right by my job.

FWIW, I've never had a bad experience at any New Jersey gun shop/ffl that I've dealt with (Ramsey Outdoors, Meltzers, Efinger, OMG Customs [great place btw], Bullet Hole, Shore Shot, Lincoln Park True Value, etc), despite all the horror stories that you hear. In fact, bullet hole is my go to range and I stop in at Efinger all the time just check out their stock and talk guns with the older guys who work there.

I think I'll actually take you up on that. I make it a point to support local gun shops and Lou's is right by my job.

FWIW, I've never had a bad experience at any New Jersey gun shop/ffl that I've dealt with (Ramsey Outdoors, Meltzers, Efinger, OMG Customs [great place btw], Bullet Hole, Shore Shot, Lincoln Park True Value, etc), despite all the horror stories that you hear. In fact, bullet hole is my go to range and I stop in at Efinger all the time just check out their stock and talk guns with the older guys who work there.

Let me know when and I'll try to make it.  I have been to 3 of those places.  Never had a terrible experience at bullethole but they dont fill me with warm and fuzzies either. I was treated like a tool at shore shot and effingers is just ridiculous to try and shop at.  It is what it is I guess. 

Thank goodness someone else was having this issue there. I would walk in and feel like I just ruined a game of WOW. I was even offered $500.00 by one of the employees for my Kriss Vector when I mentioned I was selling it. I looked the guy in the face and said "thats not going to happen".

I have been there three times and hated myself every time for actually spending money there. I promised myself I wouldn't do it again. If some people are having a different experience there, then fine. The three times I was there I have had they most awkward time in an FFL ever. Every time I would leave, They would all start giggling or finally start talking as I close the door. It catches me by surprise everytime since they are mutes when I am in there.  Each time it would take every single bit of strenght for me too not walk back in and ask what the joke was.

I have been involved with the shooting sport since I was a Child and Firearms are my one and only hobby. I know a good amount and dont walk into an FFL with a cocky attitude or a dumb arse list of questions. When I go, it is to ask if they have something, and buy it if they do. I don't dress like a thug or bum. I always go FFL's after work in my Dress cloths and I don't look funny, sooo. Like I said, if you enjoy them or are friends with them, Congrats. I will never be going there again. 

What is it with people and their attitudes, I could see if a shop is busy. But if no one is in the store but you, thats when i start to have a problem. I have no issue with calling them out , ( not to fight ) Just on their attitude. I have no problem asking to speak to the owner. And ask him what kind of shit show he's running. If he doesn't want my money I'll be more than happy to spread the word they SUCK. 

Sounds like another place i never need to go to. I despise when i go to places and its like they are doing me a favor. With that attitude they can go kick rocks. Stories like this always reassure my FFL choices. Find a place next time that will treat you like a customer should be treated

As a person that deals with people walking in all day long, it's easy to see that until you welcome them and ask how you can help, they are confused. Confusion leads to a missed sale or lost customer. Rule #1 of retail customer service: greet your customer in the first 10 seconds with a smile and ask how you can help them. Answer all questions, be knowledgeable, don't get frustrated because if the customer knew everything, he wouldn't be in your store. Why do some retailers think they are doing a favor by "allowing" customers to shop there?

Wow... Seriously... Thanks everyone for the replies. I feel so much better knowing I wasnt the only one that had this type of experience. 

Felt like I broke some sort of secret ettiquette when I walked in there.

It's a shame too... They have a great selection, a nice location, and a pretty cozy local gun shop atmosphere... I guess they just need some encouragement in the Customer Service department.

You can have the shittiest store... but if your product is satisfactory, and treat me like family when I walk in... I come back every time.

Thanks for the heads up, sounds like places I know where the employees hire their friends and nobody cares about customers, your interrupting their time together. On the plus side, nobody was on their personal electronic gadget? That to me is the ultimate turn off when I might be parting with my cash.

Inquired about doing a transfer through this shop and I was surprised at how high the price was $90 and I was also given some misinformation from one of the guys there. I was told that you are allowed to do a FTF transfer with PA resident. How ever I was in the area for work one day and decided to stop in and check out their inventory and when I walked in I introduced myself to the 2 guys in there and I chatted with them while checking out their inventory and they were nothing but friendly and helpful to me. So all in all I might stop in from time to time but I will stick with Jim Flynn for all my transfers.

Inquired about doing a transfer through this shop and I was surprised at how high the price was $90 and I was also given some misinformation from one of the guys there. I was told that you are allowed to do a FTF transfer with PA resident. How ever I was in the area for work one day and decided to stop in and check out their inventory and when I walked in I introduced myself to the 2 guys in there and I chatted with them while checking out their inventory and they were nothing but friendly and helpful to me. So all in all I might stop in from time to time but I will stick with Jim Flynn for all my transfers.

I agree their transfer price is ridiculous.

As for everything else I'm pretty surprised to see these responses. I don't think they are nearly as bad as being made out to be. Everyone gets to make their own choices. I will still shop here with pleasure and recommend them to my friends.

I have been in there a few times, runs hot and cold, of the 3 times I went in there,  twice I felt like I was bothering them, once it was very pleasant (probably was Chris).  But I am sorry, I don't like the feeling that I am bothering them, so I won't ever go back there again. 

As for everything else I'm pretty surprised to see these responses. I don't think they are nearly as bad as being made out to be. Everyone gets to make their own choices. I will still shop here with pleasure and recommend them to my friends.

That's because they know you.  But I think they could do so much better if they just treated everyone with some respect ALL the time, not just when it's Chris or when they are in the mood.

That's because they know you. But I think they could do so much better if they just treated everyone with some respect ALL the time, not just when it's Chris or when they are in the mood.

I don't buy that. Why didn't it happen to me the first couple of times I went when they didn't "know me". Go, don't go. No skin off my back.