Njsarge

Holster for running long distances

I can't see myself carrying while running under any circumstances. I have a spibelt that I use when I bring my phone and keys and even that annoys me. Could only imagine what the added weight of a handgun and ammo. I have read that males running are amongst the least likely targets by criminals. It's assumed you have no money.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

I have a hard enough time running with a water bottle, cant imagine a G26.

Why not get a pocket pistol?

But... a holster that is closer to your body, and on the side of your hip would likely be most comfortable.

I can't see myself carrying while running under any circumstances. I have a spibelt that I use when I bring my phone and keys and even that annoys me. Could only imagine what the added weight of a handgun and ammo. I have read that males running are amongst the least likely targets by criminals. It's assumed you have no money. Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

That may be so but a friend of mine was mugged by 3 guys when he was running just because they wanted to beat someone up.

That may be so but a friend of mine was mugged by 3 guys when he was running just because they wanted to beat someone up.

This.

When you try to predict a bad guys actions based on the experiences, morals, ethics, and decision making process of a well adjusted, honest, and overall decent human being (yourself) you are setting yourself up for failure.

I'm just gonna go out there and say it.  Blackhawk Serpa.

It's not the most concealable but very comfortable and I have no issues with guns falling out.  I use one to play airsoft so I'm definitely running around and jumping and everything.

http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=99259

It's amazing that a debate about the SERPA still even exists today.

go figure... I carry a gun with no external safety (Glock) in a Serpa all the time with zero issues... you would think I would have killed myself by now.. 

The "you are going to shoot yourself" issue is only part of the issue with the SERPA - and I admit, after watching a lot of shooters on the line with these holsters (they are authorized by my PD and are issued to plain clothes Officers) I think it is a valid one. Frankly I am surprised it hasn't happened yet.

The bigger issue, one I have witnessed numerous times and have experienced firsthand, is when the release mechanism on the SERPA gets fouled and you can't get the gun out without tin snips to cut the holster off the pistol. I have seen it enough times that I now carry snips in my training box when teaching or qualifying.

I have seen snow, mud, sand and rocks all warm their way into the release during drills and defensive tactics training, and once I saw sim rounds lock a SERPA up solid.

I have also seen the belt attachments break off during defensive tactics and weapon retention drills leaving the red-gun and holster in the "aggressor's" hands and the "good guy"scrambling for his BUG, which thankfully had been secured prior to training. No bueno.

The USMC has put out memos stating that they are no longer to be used, and many reputable shooting schools are starting to ban their use in their classes. In my line of work, I refer to these occurrences as "clues".

You can get a Safariiland ALS holster in the STX finish for around $10 more. It is more secure, better made, just as fast on the draw with less chance of an ND, better belt attachment options, and can get models for pistols that have a light other than that stupid BLACKHAWK! offset garbage.

There is no reason to consider the SERPA as a viable option any longer IMO.

Well said above! The bottom line is, the SERPA is a poorly designed, poor quality holster. To me, they are on the same level of quality as Fobus.

Safariland and G-Code make far better retention holsters, which not only stand up to abuse, but don't carry the increased risk of failing on you at the worst possible moment.

The "you are going to shoot yourself" issue is only part of the issue with the SERPA - and I admit, after watching a lot of shooters on the line with these holsters (they are authorized by my PD and are issued to plain clothes Officers) I think it is a valid one. Frankly I am surprised it hasn't happened yet.

The bigger issue, one I have witnessed numerous times and have experienced firsthand, is when the release mechanism on the SERPA gets fouled and you can't get the gun out without tin snips to cut the holster off the pistol. I have seen it enough times that I now carry snips in my training box when teaching or qualifying.

I have seen snow, mud, sand and rocks all warm their way into the release during drills and defensive tactics training, and once I saw sim rounds lock a SERPA up solid.

I have also seen the belt attachments break off during defensive tactics and weapon retention drills leaving the red-gun and holster in the "aggressor's" hands and the "good guy"scrambling for his BUG, which thankfully had been secured prior to training. No bueno.

The USMC has put out memos stating that they are no longer to be used, and many reputable shooting schools are starting to ban their use in their classes. In my line of work, I refer to these occurrences as "clues".

You can get a Safariiland ALS holster in the STX finish for around $10 more. It is more secure, better made, just as fast on the draw with less chance of an ND, better belt attachment options, and can get models for pistols that have a light other than that stupid BLACKHAWK! offset garbage.

There is no reason to consider the SERPA as a viable option any longer IMO.

These are issues I kind of foresaw regarding SERPA holsters when they first hit the market.  When I brought it up to people i was told I was a dinosaur and a Luddite. 

Thanks for sharing this High Exposure.

How in the heck did we get on a discussion of the merit of the serpa holster when discussing carry options for running? I think the OP wanted something so he could go for a jog while carrying somewhat comfortable and not go for a jog while dodging land mines and gunfire and rolling around in the dirt and mud, but I've been wrong before. 

I stand by my previous comment that a belly band is probably most suited for running then most holsters, and certainly better then a serpa or other kydex or even leather retention holster....

How in the heck did we get on a discussion of the merit of the serpa holster when discussing carry options for running? I think the OP wanted something so he could go for a jog while carrying somewhat comfortable and not go for a jog while dodging land mines and gunfire and rolling around in the dirt and mud, but I've been wrong before.

I stand by my previous comment that a belly band is probably most suited for running then most holsters, and certainly better then a serpa or other kydex or even leather retention holster....

Topics drift just like conversations do, they are organic and follow strange paths sometimes. Regardless, we got here because someone recomended a SERPA as a holster that may fit the needs of the OPs request. How is the subsequent discussion regarding the merits and shortcoming of that peice of gear not relevant to the discussion? Should we all be so clinical and simply answer with our suggestion to the OP with no discussion?

Nothing was said about going to war and dodging land mines. Obvious, relevant, and factual shortcoming of a holster were brought to light. Nothing else. Apparently in your neighborhood the need to draw your CCW from its holster only happens on bright sunny days where cottonball clouds float across an impossibly blue sky above rivers of chocolate and trees that give beer. No one ever gets dirty, falls over, or is taken to the ground. I need to move ;)

Regarding Bellybands - In my experience bellyband type holsters suck except for a very few very specific examples where they "may" be necessary to accomplish your concealment needs. Jogging is most definitely not one and a bellyband would be one of the last types of holsters, just after an ankle holster, that I would use for that purpose. The elastic does a very poor job of keeping the firearm secure to your body and it flops all over. With the right belt, a secure quality non-paddle OWB holster in kydex or leather would be a significant improvement over a bellyband type holster.

That being said, I don't think a standard OWB type holster is the "A" answer either.

I think a fanny pack would make the most sense, and if I ever start running outdoors again I will use that or one of the most excellent Hill People Gear's Runner's Kit Bags:

http://www.hillpeoplegear.com/Products/tabid/762/ctl/ProductDetails/mid/1916/ProductID/16/Default.aspx

Or you can be like this stud from 19th SFG that ran the SLC marathon in plates with an M9 and a dip in:

aea5d4c2b3ea322e87b8311223e788f8_zps0f99

I am sure following the pink shirt didn't hurt his motivation either. Scenery does help the suck-factor to be less noticeable.

Topics drift just like conversations do, they are organic and follow strange paths sometimes. Regardless, we got here because someone recomended a SERPA as a holster that may fit the needs of the OPs request. How is the subsequent discussion regarding the merits and shortcoming of that peice of gear not relevant to the discussion? Should we all be so clinical and simply answer with our suggestion to the OP with no discussion?

Of course their should be discussion. I never suggested otherwise.

Nothing was said about going to war and dodging land mines. Obvious, relevant, and factual shortcoming of a holster were brought to light. Nothing else. Apparently in your neighborhood the need to draw your CCW from its holster only happens on bright sunny days where cottonball clouds float across an impossibly blue sky above rivers of chocolate and trees that give beer. No one ever gets dirty, falls over, or is taken to the ground. I need to move ;)

Move? Yes, I suggest it!

Regarding Bellybands - In my experience bellyband type holsters suck except for a very few very specific examples where they "may" be necessary to accomplish your concealment needs. Jogging is most definitely not one and a bellyband would be one of the last types of holsters, just after an ankle holster, that I would use for that purpose. The elastic does a very poor job of keeping the firearm secure to your body and it flops all over. With the right belt, a secure quality non-paddle OWB holster in kydex or leather would be a significant improvement over a bellyband type holster.

That being said, I don't think a standard OWB type holster is the "A" answer either.

I think a fanny pack would make the most sense, and if I ever start running outdoors again I will use that or one of the most excellent Hill People Gear's Runner's Kit Bags:

This is much more relevant to the thread and some good advice.

Or you can be like this stud from 19th SFG that ran the SLC marathon in plates with an M9 and a dip in:

aea5d4c2b3ea322e87b8311223e788f8_zps0f99

I am sure following the pink shirt didn't hurt his motivation either. Scenery does help the suck-factor to be less noticeable.

:)