O-gre

Newark $1000 tip for illegal gun

Sure do BUT not in the same numbers!

Sorry..... but New Jersey cities are not even in the top 10 most dangerous or cities with the most violent crimes in America.....Still nothing to brag about but yes there are cities with far worse violent crime statistics.

It's BECAUSE a MAJORITY of the people in these places that OUR gun rights are under attack. What part of THAT don't you get?

Our gun rights are under attack because of widespread ignorance about guns... And people electing the wrong representatives.. What part of that do YOU not understand...

Sorry..... but New Jersey cities are not even in the top 10 most dangerous or cities with the most violent crimes in America.....Still nothing to brag about but yes there are cities with far worse violent crime statistics.

Very true

Camden NJ often makes the "top 10" violent crime list. http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/camden_flow/188927931.html

Per household firearm ownership is generally highest in rural areas and lowest in urban areas. Although gun crime may be high in Camden, gun ownership - both legal and illegal -- shouldn't be awfully high. Camden has a per-capita income of $9,815, which doesn't leave a lot of room for discretionary spending on things like firearms.

Newark's rewards program is unlikely to be effective because it doesn't do anything about the root causes of violent crime in urban areas. (I am not surprised that the NJ legislature blew off recommendations by Christie's blue-ribbon gun violence commission. And I think we'll be hearing more about this soon.)

NJ's FPID card dates back to 1966. (As a not-so-odd coincidence, the Watts Riots happened in 1965.)  For some NJ gun control history:

http://njgunforums.com/forum/index.php/topic/53186-hearings-for-the-1966-fid-law-march-2-1966/

Camden NJ often makes the "top 10" violent crime list. http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/camden_flow/188927931.html

Per household firearm ownership is generally highest in rural areas and lowest in urban areas. Although gun crime may be high in Camden, gun ownership - both legal and illegal -- shouldn't be awfully high. Camden has a per-capita income of $9,815, which doesn't leave a lot of room for discretionary spending on things like firearms.

Newark's rewards program is unlikely to be effective because it doesn't do anything about the root causes of violent crime in urban areas. (I am not surprised that the NJ legislature blew off recommendations by Christie's blue-ribbon gun violence commission. And I think we'll be hearing more about this soon.)

NJ's FPID card dates back to 1966. (As a not-so-odd coincidence, the Watts Riots happened in 1965.)  For some NJ gun control history:

http://njgunforums.com/forum/index.php/topic/53186-hearings-for-the-1966-fid-law-march-2-1966/

That article you've posted is quoting 2011 statistics, I sourced articles from Forbes,Yahoo,The Huffington Post and the Wall Street Journal quoting 2012 and 2013 crime statistics thus far...and NJ did not crack the top 10. I apologize but I seem to be blocked from posting links.

http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/2012/12/31/camdens-record-number-of-homicide-victims-remembered-at-new-years-eve-vigil/

Camden’s Record Number Of Homicide Victims Remembered At New Year’s Eve Vigil

December 31, 2012 3:30 AM

By Pat Loeb

CAMDEN, N.J. (CBS) — Camden ended 2012 with a record 67 homicides, making it the most dangerous city in America, according to the FBI. The old record, of 58 homicides, set in 1995, inspired an annual New Year’s Eve vigil for victims, which continued on Monday at Camden’s cathedral.

There have never been so many candles lined up in the cathedral, the list of victims’ names has never spilled off the altar before — the little signs of a very big problem.

“I think that having 67 murders in the city of Camden this year is really devastating,” says Sister Helen Coles.

Coles prayed for peace with each candle she lit for a victim, on the hour, from 7 a.m. to 10 p.m.

The vigil began Friday and ended Monday evening.  Family members of the victims often joined for the hour their loved one was honored. Janice Thomas says it was some comfort to pray for her son Stephen, 18-years-old when he was found shot to death in September, the year’s 48th victim.

“I lost a part of my heart, my soul, when he passed,” Thomas says. “Just senseless, I don’t know why.”

Community members drifted in and out, as well, including police chief Scott Thomson.

“Our city is grieving right now,” Thomson says. “We’re in desperate need of healing. This lets the people of our community know we grieve with them and we’re doing our best to keep the next murder from occurring.”

IF it weren't for Newark, Trenton and Camden our gun laws would look completely different. Anyone disagree?

completely disagree.  guns are the scourge of the world according to gun grabbers and anti's.   National crime has decreased over the last 20 years while gun ownership has gone up and yet the push for massive gun control is at a fever pitch and manchin-schumer-toomy only just failed by 5 votes... so yes, I completely disagree.

Granted....I am at a disadvantage as I'm blocked from posting links and I'll leave it at that.

BOB2222, although homicides are nothing to down play in any way... they are not the only deciding factor. And believe it or not a place like Detroit puts 67 homicides to shame, hitting 350+ homicides in 2012..

If we look at it from a violent crime rate, NJ does in fact not make the top 10.

http://www.freep.com/article/20130614/NEWS05/306140059/FBI-data-ranks-Flint-Detroit-highest-Most-Dangerous-Cities-America-list

I'm not sure what source you used for your information but it is not correct..

Mainstream media and/or FBI statistics. (Click the links.)

As I understand it, homicide statistics are the ones to go by, since it's possible to manipulate the other statistics. It's more of a challenge for government entities -- who obviously benefit from being able to claim lower violent crime rates --  to hide dead bodies.

My mother was born in Detroit. I grew up in Trenton and went to school in Newark. I can appreciate that both Trenton and Newark could be safer than Detroit -- but I wouldn't call either of them "safe".