mattio41

Top 5 NJ Gun Laws You should know

Working on a postcard/flyer for NJ2AS. Wanted to get some opinions. In your opinion, what would be the top 5 NJ Gun laws you would suggest?

Also, I am trying to find the exact quote from the Judge in new jersey who basically said, "A New Jersey Resident owns firearms at their own risk" ?? Or something to that effect. If anybody has the exact quote, I would appreciate it. 

NJ State vs. Pelleteri:

http://www.constitution.org/2ll/bardwell/state_v_pelleteri.txt

Before Judges SHEBELL, [footnote 1] BAIME, and BRAITHWAITE.      The opinion of the court was delivered by BAIME, J.AD.

“When dealing with guns, the citizen acts at his peril,”

My #1 of the top 5 - By default, possession and use of firearms in NJ is illegal, except in narrow exemptions specified by statute.

1. Never transport firearms without a firearms ID card.

2. Always transport ammo unloaded from magazines and guns in separate containers stored in the trunk of the vehicle. 

3. Make sure that all semi auto firearms and magazines do no exceed 15 rounds.

4. Always transport firearms to and from a range without making any undeviated stops.

5. Before transporting any firearm make sure you know which weapons are banned and legal in NJ. This might require alternation by a FFL Gunsmith to make them compliant before you can purchase a firearm. 

2. Always transport ammo unloaded from magazines and guns in separate containers stored in the trunk of the vehicle. 

4. Always transport firearms to and from a range without making any undeviated stops.

5. Before transporting any firearm make sure you know which weapons are banned and legal in NJ. This might require alternation by a FFL Gunsmith to make them compliant before you can purchase a firearm. 

You can transport loaded mags as long as they are not inside the weapon. A loaded magazine is not considered a loaded weapon

1. FID is technically not needed to transport to the range. Its a Purchaser Identification Card.

2. Loaded magazines are ok.

3. Semi auto shotgun must not exceed 6.

The OP states:

Top 5 NJ Gun Laws You should know

You can transport loaded mags as long as they are not inside the weapon. A loaded magazine is not considered a loaded weapon

I have heard both sides of this and the way I view it its better to be safe that arrested.

:facepalm:  :facepalm:

You don't need a trunk in order to transport firearms (#2).  And the banned/legal distinction isn't only relevant for transport (#5).   I think the consensus is that you can deviate from the route or stop if you are only transporting long guns (#4)

no offense to OP ..... But this thread will turn useless pretty fast.....   already we are debating what the laws even are in this thread..... much less which ones are the Top 5

.... the fact is .... NJ Firearms Laws are so murky....   we dont even understand them....... so to pick a Top 5.... never gonna happen.

Just sayin   :dontknow:

I am not trying to start an argument either. My viewpoint is why even chance a law that is questionable. Especially if you get an officer who does not know the laws and wants to charge you with sometime that is perfectly legal technically. It really only take a min to load a magazine at the range. If anyone else has a top five I would enjoy reading it.

Troy is right. You will never arrive at any kind of consensus when we can't even agree on whether something is a law or not. Case in point - loaded mags. There is no statute that says mags must be transported unloaded. If it is someone's opinion that they expose themselves to less risk by unloading them, that's fine - but that is their opinion, not law.

Better to lock this now before it becomes even more of a vehicle for spreading misinformation.

JMHO

Adios,

Pizza Bob

IBTL

I am not trying to start an argument either. My viewpoint is why even chance a law that is questionable. Especially if you get an officer who does not know the laws and wants to charge you with sometime that is perfectly legal technically. It really only take a min to load a magazine at the range. If anyone else has a top five I would enjoy reading it.

OP is soliciting NJ Gun *Law*.  Adding terms like "don't load your magazines, keep them in the trunk only" because you might get jammed up by an LEO who does not know the law does not address the question of what the law actually says.  Debating the meaning of "necessary deviation" is also not definitive of what the law would actually allow--I would say that is up to the individual's comfort level.

Adding what is not there to already onerous legal restriction only serves to confuse.

Top 5 that newbies and nonresidents should know:

1. All firearm possession is illegal EXCEPT for... (list exceptions here)

2. Hollow point bullets are illegal EXCEPT for...(list exceptions here)

3. Carry permits are close to impossible to get unless you are LEO. We have no carry permit reciprocity whatsoever. Your out of state carry permit is no good here.

4. No magazines >15 rounds

5. Certain gun crimes including illegal possession carry a minimum prison sentence. 

there are seriously no 5 laws that are short enough for your project... your project to be effective must have short pop phrases that will get peoples attention.. that unfortunately is nonexistent in the law... a better idea would be to have a couple interesting facts that will catch the individuals attention, and then divert them to a listing online that has more detail... ideally one like the one I put together that presents both the actual law, AND a simple easy to follow explanation of the law... 

* Did you know that the rifle you bought at the gun show last year may be an illegal assault weapon?

* Did you know transporting a gun you legally own in the wrong way could get you arrested?

* Did you know that some individuals you trust for gun law information are completely uneducated on the subject?

Visit www.blahblahblah.com to educate yourself on the gun laws of NJ. Find out what laws actually exist, and which are myths. You need to know the facts!

something like that would be far more helpful than picking 5 arbitrary laws to quote out... 

Man talk sbout a touchy subject. I am not sure on the specific laws these are just rules I learned over the years to avoid problem. Just make it one rule then...own guns at your own risk in NJ since many of the laws are not clearly defined.

Don't forget there are Laws and there are guidelines, and they are different from one another.

Slightly different than you asked but here you go:

Top NJ gun laws have... 

1. severely limited people from protecting themselves and/or loved ones with a firearm

2. been written in such a vague way as to allow for various interpretations resulting in the potential arrest of law abiding citizens who believe they're following the law.

3. barely stopped criminals from using firearms while grossly infringing on the rights of its upstanding citizens

4. helped criminals on the streets to rob/steal & murder innocent people since it is just about impossible for its residents to acquire a conceal carry permit for self defense.

5. been written & unscrupulously passed by legislators that have a complete disregard for the state & federal Constitution to which they have sworn an oath to uphold.