JLF

Parents selling me pistols

I'm really sorry if this is completely noobish of me but I still know so little.

If my parents want to sell me some pistols as a person to person sale how does that all work? Still have to fill out the permit papers etc? I'm a little confused. I mean granted they are selling them to me at a highly discounted rate. But I just want to make sure this is all on the up and up legally. Or can they just transfer them to me?

I mean really explain it to me in layman's terms please and thank you.

You must have a P2P to take possession of them unless they are willed to you. Price doesn't matter at all, they can be free and you still need a permit. If there is more than one handgun, you can file for a OGAM exemption and take possession of them all at one time.

Since it sounds like you are starting at square zero you first need to get an FID card.  When you apply for that there is a box that you can check that you want "x" number of pistol purchase permits (P2P).  Depending what town you are in you might be able to do this at your local police department or you might have to deal with the state police.

Since it sounds like you are starting at square zero you first need to get an FID card.  When you apply for that there is a box that you can check that you want "x" number of pistol purchase permits (P2P).  Depending what town you are in you might be able to do this at your local police department or you might have to deal with the state police.

My FID and permits should be in any day now :)

You must have a P2P to take possession of them unless they are willed to you. Price doesn't matter at all, they can be free and you still need a permit. If there is more than one handgun, you can file for a OGAM exemption and take possession of them all at one time.

And I can file for the exemption at my local PD? That would have to be done ahead of time yes? Is that something that could likely takes months more of BS wait time?

And to add to it, it's rather self explanitory to fill out the permitsSeller gets a copyBuyer gets a copyState gets a copy (within 5 business days of date of transaction)Issuing authority (your P.D) gets a copy  (within 5 business)

So no NICs involved in any of this?

So no NICs involved in any of this?

No. You meet, exchange the goods and cash, fill out the paper work, mail it and live happy ever after. Remember you already went through a background check when you got your P2P.

ETA-- this transaction can happen at any of the exempt places (home, range, ....). It does not have to be at a gun store or FFL.

Yes the exemption must be filed ahead of time at your local PD. You would need the make, model and serial number of each handgun for the application. I'm not sure how long the wait would be as I've never applied for one myself.

Thanks for all the info guys.

@Matt well I'm not even sure if I will be taking more than one of them at this point and I already applied for 3 permits, so if I decide to take another one I'll just think about it for a month.