I remember some chatter that Utah will be more difficult for PA to drop than FL was. Can anyone elaborate on that? Also contemplating UT if my NH goes the way of FL

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

So basically there is reciprocity and recognition.

Reciprocity is where there's a written agreement between PA and another state and they mutually agree to honor each others' permits.

Recognition is where PA statute allows PA to recognize another state because they have substantially similar gun laws.

FL, VA, AZ etc is covered under reciprocity. There are written agreements between PA and those states. PA recently elected a new AG whose campaign was funded by none other than Michael Bloomberg. She has modified firearm reciprocity agreements to apply to resident permits only where previously they applied to any permit, resident or nonresident. This was because people in PA were getting nonresident permits when they could not get a PA permit (typically in Philthy).

UT and other states are covered under recognition. There is no formal agreement and to end recognition of UT permit. Supposedly it will take an act of the legislature which I am told won't happen. Additionally, UT requires that you get a permit from your home state if you live in a state that recognizes the UT permit. So this means the aforementioned loophole for PA (really Philthy) residents could have used won't work with PA. Doesn't apply to us here in NJ because NJ doesn't recognize anyone's permits except NJ's.

NH is covered under a reciprocity agreement but was left alone for I don't know what reason. Better not say too much. 

So basically there is reciprocity and recognition.

Reciprocity is where there's a written agreement between PA and another state and they mutually agree to honor each others' permits.

Recognition is where PA statute allows PA to recognize another state because they have substantially similar gun laws.

FL, VA, AZ etc is covered under reciprocity. There are written agreements between PA and those states. PA recently elected a new AG whose campaign was funded by none other than Michael Bloomberg. She has modified firearm reciprocity agreements to apply to resident permits only where previously they applied to any permit, resident or nonresident. This was because people in PA were getting nonresident permits when they could not get a PA permit (typically in Philthy).

UT and other states are covered under recognition. There is no formal agreement and to end recognition of UT permit. Supposedly it will take an act of the legislature which I am told won't happen. Additionally, UT requires that you get a permit from your home state if you live in a state that recognizes the UT permit. So this means the aforementioned loophole for PA (really Philthy) residents could have used won't work with PA. Doesn't apply to us here in NJ because NJ doesn't recognize anyone's permits except NJ's.

NH is covered under a reciprocity agreement but was left alone for I don't know what reason. Better not say too much.

NH has the same home state requirements as UT. You can't get a NH permit without having one from your home state (or in our case, without having another permit since NJ won't issue one)

NH has the same home state requirements as UT. You can't get a NH permit without having one from your home state (or in our case, without having another permit since NJ won't issue one)

Not true.

Sort of. There was a lot in the post you were responding to. NH does not require a permit from your home state, it does (this part was correct) require a permit from any state. And NJ does issue permits, that is why you can't get a PA LTCF without an NJ permit as an NJ resident.

Please point me to somewhere on their site that says otherwise. They require you to submit a copy of your ccw permit from your home state (or another state if yours doesnt issue) with the application.

I edited above. My understanding is they ONLY require you to submit a permit from any state.

I edited above. My understanding is they ONLY require you to submit a permit from any state.

Exactly what I was saying. We're on the same page. I'm applying for nh after I get my ut.

I was just saying the reason pa didn't get rid of reciprocity is because pa residents can't get nh permits without getting a pa one first. NJ residents are a different animal all together.

http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/newhampshire.pdf

They will send you the proper paperwork or you can download and print off an application and fill it out and mail it in. Cost is $100 and the Permit/License is valid for 4 years. You must have a non restricted permitfrom another state before New Hampshire will issue you a Non-Resident Permit/License. The process is simple and straight forward.Vermont Residents are the only people who can get a NH permit without another permit to carry from any state. They must supply a letter from their Local Sheriff or Police Dept stating they are of good character.
I would trust what is on handgunlaw.us more than what is on the webpage of any state licensing unit or police page, most of which say things that are not true, in my personal experienceIf there is a contradiction between the two, I suggest you check the actual reciprocity agreement (not the explanation of it) or, in your case (no reciprocity), check the statutes.

It is likely that they originally intended to make it that way, I.e. get a permit from your home state first then apply for a NH one. Connecticut for example denied people because their out of state permits weren't from their home state. One guy used a Florida permit, was denied, sued (a NJ resident I believe) and they changed that policy to accept a permit from any state. So likely NH is the same story.

I also find it strange that Ohio has no reciprocity with PA. What are they afraid of PA residents for?

They've tried. It's weird, I don't understand it all. The requirements are different in the two states so it took AGs that were really interested to try.

But then we get Maine, go figure.